Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help - 5mo doesn't nap for over 40 min. at a time!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:01 am
He sleeps really well during the night, but during the day he takes 40 minutes naps (exactly!) and wakes up. I don't think these naps are enough for him, because he wakes up really cranky and upset.
He is then unhappy until the next nap, which is also only 40 minutes...
He IS eating enough, and BH gaining weight beautifully.
Any tips?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:05 am
Are you rocking him to sleep or letting him fall asleep on his own?
Typically letting babies fall asleep on their own results in longer naps

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:11 am
Yes, he goes to sleep on his own. but I find that if his pacifier falls out in his sleep, he won't fall back asleep when he wakes up... by the time I put it back it's usually to late, and he is totally awake...

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:12 am
Have you started solids? My kids were like this too and when they started on solids it was a major game changer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:15 am
I haven't, maybe that's the way to go?
would you start with a baby that is just under 5mo?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:25 am
My daughter was like this. She just didn't sleep for long stretches during the day. It was very very hard because she was so kvetchy All. The. Time.

She never figured out the napping thing. She still hasn't. She is 18 months old and sleeps for an hour from 11-12. It's not enough. By 4 pm she is a mess. I haven't found any real solutions, except wait for her body to not need naps anymore!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:34 am
amother OP wrote:

No, don't start solids.

NO indication that he needs it. He is sleeping beautifully at night.

What's happening is that he is sleeping through one sleep cycle, which at that age is about 40 minutes, and then instead of transitioning into the next sleep cycle, he fully wakes up.

This is a pretty common problem, my 11 month old does the same thing.

Some people find success with going in right before the 40 minute mark and rocking/giving paci/shushing to help baby stay asleep.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:58 am
this is very common and I don't think there is much to do. my babies didn't nap well and woke up every 2-3 hours at night. it's very hard

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:09 am
amother OP wrote:

Is he showing interest in your food? Trying to grab it? Sitting up well with support?

If they shows signs of being ready (you can Google more signs) it doesn't hurt to try. That's when I start solids for my babies, I remember with my first going to the pediatrician for advice for the not napping situation and he said that I should start solids.

They reccomend starting solids between 4-6 months. Every baby is different so although someone may tell you babies don't need solids until 1 blah blah blah - it's really individual and I know so many babies that became happier and slept better etc after starting solids.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:17 am
OP my baby was and is the same way. He’s 13 months old and still takes exactly 40 min naps. It depends on each child, sometimes there’s nothing to do about it!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:17 am
Once he turned 5 months, I gave him a bit of solids but it didn’t change his naps, however he did start sleeping through the night better.

Genius

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:47 am
My baby was like this. Only he slept for half hour. I may have even started a thread, I don’t remember. Anyway, he started eating solids and his naps improved beautifully. So another vote for solids here.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:21 am
They developmentally learn to link sleep cycles later. This is so normal. You can try to “disrupt the sleep cycle” by going in at 37/38 minutes and jiggling the crib or rousing him very slightly. Sometimes it works and they fall back asleep and continue sleeping.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:21 pm
Just saw a post on this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs.....kZg==

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 8:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
He sleeps really well during the night, but during the day he takes 40 minutes naps (exactly!) and wakes up. I don't think these naps are enough for him, because he wakes up really cranky and upset.
He is then unhappy until the next nap, which is also only 40 minutes...
He IS eating enough, and BH gaining weight beautifully.
Any tips?

Naps usually get longer typically around 6-7 months. Just wait a bit longer. Especially once they start to drop some naps like a 3 nap schedule. If he’s sleeping nicely at night I would leave it Smile
Oh and I rock/ nurse mine to sleep and she sleeps nice long naps. It doesn’t make a difference how they fall a sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics