Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why do I feel like my house is small if its 2300 sq ft
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:35 pm
I am confused. I am not a very high needs person. I bought a house a few years ago and thought what a great house for our family. We are 7 people - teens to 9 year old. 4 bedroom 3 bathroom. Why I bought I noticed the kitchen was a bit small but didn't think much - I am not a major baker/cook.

Living here a few years I am really upset- the house is simply too small.

There is a small living room, a small kitchen, a really small dining room. There is a study that I share with my husband.

The laundry room is ridiculous - I can't fully open the washer dryer door. and can barely fit in to do a load

The upstairs has a decent master with bathroom and then three small bedrooms for 5 kids. And a bathroom. that's it.

There is a garage and unfinished basement.

If I would read a description like this I'd think I'm spoiled and a kvetch- this sounds like a first world problem. But it actually is a problem for me! The house is crowded and I am as minimalist as they come. I save nothing, have barely any toys, bookcases etc yet I feel crowded and constricted in my home.

Is this normal? What size home does a normal family of 7 live in?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:41 pm
A family of 7 in Israel or Europe would think this is a joke. A family of 7 in Lakewood would probably agree that you "need" more space. I live oot in a much smaller home than yours and it works for my family of 7, but we are planning to add more space to hopefully get more than 2000 sq ft. Point is, there's no normal. Do you want to move? Do you want to finish your basement? What are your options?

amother
Steel

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:42 pm
It doesnt sound like 2300 square feet, tbh. Something doesnt add up.

I lived in a 2300 square foot townhouse. We had five bedrooms, very large master bedroom, huge dining room/living room, huge kitchen, and small study and playroom.

Maybe you have too much furniture? That would make your house feel smaller. Clutter?

lamplighter

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:47 pm
Is it 2300 including the basement bc I agree with the above poster something doesn't add up.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:53 pm
1,150 SF per floor is enough. But only if the space planning was designed properly and did not have in mind housing just 2 children (1 child in each room, 1 guest room, small kitchen and large living and family rooms for families who buy takeout).
You need proper space planning. If you can bring someone in and are willing to move some walls, there can be comfortable space for everyone.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:59 pm
Like I said I am a supreme minimalist and have very little, minimalistic furniture.

Maybe I do need a space planner? Or someone to tell me how to use my space better.

I don't know - my house feels crowded

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:59 pm
It sounds like you’re missing the hanging out out space. Can you finish the basement into a den/ family room so you don’t have everyone in 1 small room at the same time?

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:00 pm
Maybe it’s time to finish your basement. Put two bedrooms and a family room. My house is about 2000 square feet and I feel like there isn’t enough living space when we have guests. We happen to also have an unfinished basement and even just putting a big couch and a rug makes a difference.
Or, depending what area you’re in and how much you love it, you could sell and move a little further out. If you bought more than 2-3 years ago, you should easily be able to sell for a lot more than you paid and afford something much bigger further out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:00 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
It sounds like you’re missing the hanging out out space. Can you finish the basement into a den/ family room so you don’t have everyone in 1 small room at the same time?

Yes - this exactly. There is no place for me to just be. The living room is tiny and there are always people in it. I could hang in bedroom but that's weird. I want a big airy place to hang out but that I could also be alone.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:09 pm
Mine is 2600 so slightly different but I finished the basement and suddenly there is so much more space. If you can afford it it will be life changing for you to finish it. It adds so much more.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 7:29 pm
It also depends on where you live. People in Lakewood especially the 1st generation lakewooders (not from original lakewood) live in mansions. People complain about small 3,000 Sq foot homes. Or even larger.
Compared to my tiny apartment 2300 sounds absolutely luxurious.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
It also depends on where you live. People in Lakewood especially the 1st generation lakewooders (not from original lakewood) live in mansions. People complain about small 3,000 Sq foot homes. Or even larger.
Compared to my tiny apartment 2300 sounds absolutely luxurious.

Yes, I cannot fathom these numbers.
I live in 480 sqf and I feel lucky with a toddler and baby. People definitely live in smaller!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 5:19 pm
The numbers don't add up. I live in Israel in 135m2 (about 1400sqft) with 9 kids bah, a nice size salon, smallish kitchen, 4 nice size bedrooms plus one small one, 3 bathrooms, a laundry room and a den/study.
Maybe it's external ft? or maybe they included the garage and basement in the measurements?

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 6:18 pm
I live in the UK, almost 3k square feet 5 bedroom house bH, also 7 people and it's big enough so I do understand you that yours would feel too small. It also depends on the ages of your kids. Older ones need more space, mine are young teens to toddler. I find it a lot to keep clean though so a smaller house isn't all that bad.
I think 4 bedrooms wouldn't cut it for us so much. Maybe you've outgrown it a bit because your kids are older now. Although I'm sure it's manageable.

I have 2 very big rooms downstairs and one tiny one. Big hallway. Can you maybe knock down a wall to create bigger spaces but less rooms?

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Yes, I cannot fathom these numbers.
I live in 480 sqf and I feel lucky with a toddler and baby. People definitely live in smaller!

Bigger kids take up more space lol. They just have so much stuff, and they don't stop talking till late hours Smile so more rooms, or bigger rooms just make it more manageable.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 6:36 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
I live in the UK, almost 3k square feet 5 bedroom house bH, also 7 people and it's big enough so I do understand you that yours would feel too small. It also depends on the ages of your kids. Older ones need more space, mine are young teens to toddler. I find it a lot to keep clean though so a smaller house isn't all that bad.
I think 4 bedrooms wouldn't cut it for us so much. Maybe you've outgrown it a bit because your kids are older now. Although I'm sure it's manageable.

I have 2 very big rooms downstairs and one tiny one. Big hallway. Can you maybe knock down a wall to create bigger spaces but less rooms?

That’s very big for the UK. I live here in a 1400sq ft house and yes, it can feel cramped. Op, for reference my washing machine is in kitchen. I don’t even have a downstairs toilet. My home is already extended to the max.

Your basement sounds like it can be good real estate. You can easily add a family from, nice laundry room and 2 bedrooms.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
That’s very big for the UK. I live here in a 1400sq ft house and yes, it can feel cramped. Op, for reference my washing machine is in kitchen. I don’t even have a downstairs toilet. My home is already extended to the max.

Your basement sounds like it can be good real estate. You can easily add a family from, nice laundry room and 2 bedrooms.

Agree, 3K square feet is very large for a UK house. Most are WAY smaller.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Agree, 3K square feet is very large for a UK house. Most are WAY smaller.

I know, we do have a very big house (after a big extension) but tbh I'm overwhelmed with the keeping it clean, and tidy at the moment. Now that it's motzai shabbos it's the most clean it'll be all week, and I don't want to go to bed because of it Smile
We don't have a loft, just 2 floors. Lofts are the best for privacy etc. We have small loft space so hope to add a bedroom and bathroom up there one day in the future but for now we're ok.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 9:10 pm
Interesting that posters feel finished basement would help
My kids barely use my basement no one likes going down ...I can't understand why we have big beautiful playroom
But can't compare to basement with small windows to dining room with nuce windows light etc

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, May 20 2023, 9:25 pm
It sounds like the house has alot of not useful areas such as hallways, small spaces. Also as kids grow, the house might feel fuller. Can you add a roof with rooms or outside a couple rooms?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries