Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
PSA please leave extra toilet paper or tissues in guests
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:39 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
The applicator gets wrapped and tossed. The used tamon is flushed.

They both go in the trash. Now you know.

I believe someone once posted a story about the janitor having a lovely little chat with her whole high school about this.

We don't flush things down the toilet on the basis of whether or not they're 'embarrassing.'

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:40 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
What do you want people to do with used tampons? Are they really not supposed to flush those? That’s so embarrassing.

So this does need a PSA! never flush anything other than TP! It clogs the pipes and can clog the toilet.

wrap well and dispose of discreetly just like people have to do when using pads which obviously cannot be flushed
that's another reason people like closed bins though it can be shoved under tissues etc if need be

that's the reason even commercial public toilets have signs not to flush anything other than TP

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:41 am
Many public bathrooms have explicit signage about flushing feminine hygiene products. Yes, used tampons count.

keym

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:44 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
They both go in the trash. Now you know.

I believe someone once posted a story about the janitor having a lovely little chat with her whole high school about this.

We don't flush things down the toilet on the basis of whether or not they're 'embarrassing.'

Just to be Dan lkaf zchus, awareness has changed a lot.
25-30 years ago, the school nurses, drs, teachers- everyone who gave us the various "talks" in the mid 90s would tell us the pros and cons of pads vs tampons. The pro of tampons was that it can be flushed so it's way easier to dispose of.

Since then, many of us have learned the hard way that tampons shouldn't be flushed.

But we can be nice or understanding here that people who are surprised just really never knew. They were taught by their "adults" 25-30 years ago to flush and now they're genuinely shocked.

watergirl

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:44 am
amother OP wrote:
thank you I was starting to regret posting.

As a mod and as an imamother community member, I feel it’s so important to remind everyone that this space has so many uses! Putting down people rather than take an opportunity to learn another perspective or just scroll on by - it’s just not cool. OP, you are fine and please don’t regret your post for a single second.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:51 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Many public bathrooms have explicit signage about flushing feminine hygiene products. Yes, used tampons count.

My mom has little signs in all the bathrooms: TP only

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:01 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
The applicator gets wrapped and tossed. The used tamon is flushed.

The instructions from the package even saybin all caps DO NOT FLUSH the used tampon. Please don't do this at someone else's house.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:23 am
amother Mocha wrote:
I keep a sign in my bathroom asking people not to flush anything besides TP. It's probably not classy but it gets the job done. It's always a good idea to keep extras of tp on hand.

Classy or not, it's important to have those signs posted.
A clogged toilet and a hefty plumber bill isn't classy either Smile

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:47 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
The instructions from the package even saybin all caps DO NOT FLUSH the used tampon. Please don't do this at someone else's house.

Depends on the package. I've bought some that say that they're flushable. These days I use a menstrual cup though so nothing to discard or flush. Just rinse well and put away.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 11:49 am
amother Leaf wrote:
Depends on the package. I've bought some that say that they're flushable. These days I use a menstrual cup though so nothing to discard or flush. Just rinse well and put away.

Even if it says flushable... Don't.. unless you know the pipes can handle it.. it has more to do with the pipes then the product.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:09 pm
singleagain wrote:
Even if it says flushable... Don't.. unless you know the pipes can handle it.. it has more to do with the pipes then the product.

Yep! I don't flush 'flushable wipes.'

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:22 pm
singleagain wrote:

Usually with any of these products you have to be careful with how you flush them and if you're careful almost all plumbing can handle it. You have to make sure not to flush too much solid waste (of any sort) at once. With these flushable tampons, you make sure to flush once for any solid waste prior to removing the tampon, if you think it wasn't enough water flush again, then the tampon and same, then toilet paper. Same with flushable wipes. You can't just flush it together with everything else. You can only do one per flush and not with anything else.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:28 pm
Question about tissues:
In israel the tissues are really thin, thinner than TP. Are they American tissues very thick and study as so many has said their toilet cant handle tissues?

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:40 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Question about tissues:
In israel the tissues are really thin, thinner than TP. Are they American tissues very thick and study as so many has said their toilet cant handle tissues?

Well in America we can use Kleenex and Puffs (nice and thick) or grocery store variety tissues that are really thin, like toilet paper.

Btw, even the thickest toilet paper you find will dissolve well in water, because that's what they're meant to do. Whereas even thin tissues don't necessarily dissolve well. I know because I've tried them in an experiment. Took a bowl of water and added different types of tissues and tp to it. It was very eye-opening!

When we go away I take along a box of tissues and a shopping bag as a garbage. Everything goes in there, nobody's pipes get clogged, and nobody has to deal with my garbage as we take it out once we leave.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:49 pm
keym wrote:
Just to be Dan lkaf zchus, awareness has changed a lot.
25-30 years ago, the school nurses, drs, teachers- everyone who gave us the various "talks" in the mid 90s would tell us the pros and cons of pads vs tampons. The pro of tampons was that it can be flushed so it's way easier to dispose of.

Since then, many of us have learned the hard way that tampons shouldn't be flushed.

But we can be nice or understanding here that people who are surprised just really never knew. They were taught by their "adults" 25-30 years ago to flush and now they're genuinely shocked.

I was in high school in the early 90s. One day in chumash class, my teacher started off with a little announcement that Rabbi X (the principal) had asked all the teachers to make to the girls: no flushing of feminine hygiene products because they had just dealt with a huge flood/plumbing issue that was traced back to flushed tampons. (To be fair, we did have those little mini covered bins in all of the bathroom stalls. So there really was no reason to feel the "need" to flush.)

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:58 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Question about tissues:

Yes. Also TP and tissues aren't formulated the same way. TP is designed to disintegrate in water. Tissues are meant to hold together. In fact, many brands boast about their "wet strength" and how they won't fall apart when sopping up the waterworks at a funeral or major allergy attack.

From https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu.....ons/: What’s the difference? Toilet paper is very fragile and is designed to self-destruct in water with very little agitation. Tissues, on the other hand, are made to stand firm against a 100 mph sneeze discharging from your nose. Although the two products might have the same general look and feel, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wr1hleh5o shows the difference in their durability. It takes less than 30 seconds of agitation for the toilet paper to be almost completely broken down. The tissue, however, remains fully intact. In plumbing, the bits of toilet paper can speed down the waste lines, but tissues remain big enough to catch on something, contributing to a clog.

Though of course you still can't drop half a roll worth of TP into the bowl and expect it to slide down the tubes like a penny down a sidewalk grate.

contextual

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:59 pm
If you think tampons in the garbage is embarrassing, try this: your host paying hundreds for the plumber to find your used tampon in the pipes.
That's a lot more embarrassing.
Guest tip: make sure there's a bag in the garbage can, and as you put your suitcases in the car, discreetly dispose of your bathroom garbage bag in the outside bin Smile

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:00 pm
mandr wrote:

When we go away I take along a box of tissues and a shopping bag as a garbage. Everything goes in there, nobody's pipes get clogged, and nobody has to deal with my garbage as we take it out once we leave.

Wowza! You sound like an ideal houseguest! Wanna come here next Shabbat?

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:04 pm
zaq wrote:
Wowza! You sound like an ideal houseguest! Wanna come here next Shabbat?

You're very nice, thanks! If you're a good hostess to me I'll let you keep one of my spare shopping bags as well as a box of Kleenex (with aloe, if you're extra extra nice).

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:23 pm
The dog poop bags like these https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB.....?th=1 are a very good product to own whenever you're on your period or for any other reason. It's a small role. You can take it along anywhere and discreetly dispose of what you need.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics