Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
PSA please leave extra toilet paper or tissues in guests
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

snooper86

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:50 pm
I’ll add, please have a plunger in each toilet. It’s my biggest pet peeve that a lot of people will only have a plunger in one toilet instead of in all. If I do by mistake make a flood and I want to clean it, it’s sometimes just not possible.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:20 pm
BatZion wrote:
Maybe I would agree if these PSAs weren't popping up every two days.

Find me a cozy room to nurse in!
Put out lots of toilet paper!
Prepare a meal for when we come on Erev Shabbat/Chag!
Give me the en suite because we're in shana rishona!
Give me the en suite because we have lots of little kids!
Make sure we have lots of snacks in our room in case we don't like your food!
Make lots of food because it's not nice to only serve one option!

We have become a generation that DEMANDS, sure that we deserve EVERYTHING. Tbh, it's a little nauseating. Again, the world doesn't revolve around anonymous PSA writers. We don't DESERVE anything. Get a grip, grow up, stop PSAing, and start doing.
Applause
Yes and yes again.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:24 pm
snooper86 wrote:
I’ll add, please have a plunger in each toilet. It’s my biggest pet peeve that a lot of people will only have a plunger in one toilet instead of in all. If I do by mistake make a flood and I want to clean it, it’s sometimes just not possible.

Ask. Just ask.

Some people keep janitorial supplies in a central closet.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:26 pm
snooper86 wrote:

That is a GREAT Idea. I just ordered one.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:32 pm
This is such an interesting thread. I always leave tons and tons of tissues for my guests and have never had an issue with someone complaining. One thing that does bother me when I go to people's houses for shabbos is that many many times there is no garbage in the bathroom and that bothers me to no end. But please always have a garbage can in bathrooms.... It gets awkward when you have a pad or a tampon that you need to throw out. And there is no bathroom garbage there. You're not supposed to flush it, but what in the world are you supposed to do with it?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:47 pm
acemom wrote:
I always pack a box of tissues as I hate using the "cut toilet paper".
It's part of my packing list.

I know others have mentioned it, but it happened to me, causing thousands of dollars in damage!

Raw sewage backed up our basement shower and flooded the playroom. The brand-new carpet was destroyed, etc. The plumber determined that tissues had caused the clog, and our guest admitted to using tissues instead of the pre-cut toilet paper we had provided her.

Guests should never flush tissues without asking.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
This is such an interesting thread. I always leave tons and tons of tissues for my guests and have never had an issue with someone complaining. One thing that does bother me when I go to people's houses for Chavez is that many many times there is no garbage in the bathroom and that bothers me to no end. But please always have a garbage can in bathrooms.... It gets awkward when you have a pad or a tampon that you need to throw out. And there is no bathroom garbage there. You're not supposed to flush it, but what in the world are you supposed to do with it?

I sincerely hope everyone who wants guests to throw used tampons in the trash actually have a trashcan in their bathroom! If I’m supposed to throw it out (like someone said upthread, I am a 90s teen and was taught to toss them), there MUST be a trashcan in the bathroom.

While I’m at it - hand-soap in the bathroom is a must.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:58 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
This is such an interesting thread. I always leave tons and tons of tissues for my guests and have never had an issue with someone complaining. One thing that does bother me when I go to people's houses for Chavez is that many many times there is no garbage in the bathroom and that bothers me to no end. But please always have a garbage can in bathrooms.... It gets awkward when you have a pad or a tampon that you need to throw out. And there is no bathroom garbage there. You're not supposed to flush it, but what in the world are you supposed to do with it?

Ha! I just started a spin off thread (before I saw your post)

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:10 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Ask. Just ask.

Some people keep janitorial supplies in a central closet.

But why put guests into such an awkward position? And suppose the problem arises in the wee(wee) hours when everyone else is asleep? If you put a plunger in each bathroom, whoever has the problem can discreetly take care of it on the spot without the embarrassment of involving a member of the household.

One of the first things I bought for my first apartment was a plunger. I may not even have known how to use it but I knew it was essential. You weren't going to catch me calling the super or a neighbor to see if they had one I could borrow! Initially I kept it in a closet with the hardware and home-repair supplies, until I realized that the best place for it--even if it's not all that elegant--it right where it would be needed. Nowadays you can get fancy containers to dress up the plunger so it's not such an eyesore:

https://www.amazon.com/decorat.....hroom

https://food52.com/shop/produc.....D_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Cactus-.....psc=1

mandr

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:

Exactly why one must always carry a stock of bags when being hosted. It's really a must. I hang one up on the inside of the bathroom doorknob whenever we go anywhere. And if it's a shared bathroom I gleefully dump my disgusting garbage byproducts (soiled diapers, pads, tampons, bedikas etc) right into their kitchen garbage. They're practically asking for it!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
But please always have a garbage can in bathrooms.... It gets awkward when you have a pad or a tampon that you need to throw out. And there is no bathroom garbage there.

It's equally problematic when there's a wastebasket but it's full to capacity. I don't like shoving my foot (in a shoe) into a bathroom garbage can to compress the contents to make room for my stuff, but what choice do I have? (And sometimes the bins are so tiny my foot wouldn't fit in, with or without a shoe. My hands I'm not about to use.) Like another reader, I've stashed my stuff in a plastic bag and dumped it in the outside bin as I was leaving, and once even at a rest stop on the way.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:25 pm
Once again, I am motivated to not have guests.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Once again, I am motivated to not have guests.

So just don't.
This was a really simple helpful reminder.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can bring extra if it's local. If I'm flying I may not have room to pack it. Also some people only use 1 ply toilet paper we use 2 ply. Is 2 ply is a problem for some plumbing systems?

There's presumably stores near your hosts as well.
If you're flying, you probably wouldn't bring enough diapers for the duration of the stay either. Or other toiletries. So you anyway need to go shopping.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:48 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
I know others have mentioned it, but it happened to me, causing thousands of dollars in damage!

Raw sewage backed up our basement shower and flooded the playroom. The brand-new carpet was destroyed, etc. The plumber determined that tissues had caused the clog, and our guest admitted to using tissues instead of the pre-cut toilet paper we had provided her.

Guests should never flush tissues without asking.

How about putting up small signs in each bathroom?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes. Also TP and tissues aren't formulated the same way. TP is designed to disintegrate in water. Tissues are meant to hold together. In fact, many brands boast about their "wet strength" and how they won't fall apart when sopping up the waterworks at a funeral or major allergy attack.

From https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu.....ons/: What’s the difference? Toilet paper is very fragile and is designed to self-destruct in water with very little agitation. Tissues, on the other hand, are made to stand firm against a 100 mph sneeze discharging from your nose. Although the two products might have the same general look and feel, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wr1hleh5o shows the difference in their durability. It takes less than 30 seconds of agitation for the toilet paper to be almost completely broken down. The tissue, however, remains fully intact. In plumbing, the bits of toilet paper can speed down the waste lines, but tissues remain big enough to catch on something, contributing to a clog.

Though of course you still can't drop half a roll worth of TP into the bowl and expect it to slide down the tubes like a penny down a sidewalk grate.

Many tnx for explanation.
Tip what to bring back from Israel: Tissues that don't clog your pipes (Israeli made only) for the Shabbos when you haven't had time to rip your TP in advance.

Golde

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:17 pm
mandr wrote:
Well in America we can use Kleenex and Puffs (nice and thick) or grocery store variety tissues that are really thin, like toilet paper.

Btw, even the thickest toilet paper you find will dissolve well in water, because that's what they're meant to do. Whereas even thin tissues don't necessarily dissolve well. I know because I've tried them in an experiment. Took a bowl of water and added different types of tissues and tp to it. It was very eye-opening!

zaq wrote:
Yes. Also TP and tissues aren't formulated the same way. TP is designed to disintegrate in water. Tissues are meant to hold together. In fact, many brands boast about their "wet strength" and how they won't fall apart when sopping up the waterworks at a funeral or major allergy attack.

From https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu.....ons/: What’s the difference? Toilet paper is very fragile and is designed to self-destruct in water with very little agitation. Tissues, on the other hand, are made to stand firm against a 100 mph sneeze discharging from your nose. Although the two products might have the same general look and feel, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wr1hleh5o shows the difference in their durability. It takes less than 30 seconds of agitation for the toilet paper to be almost completely broken down. The tissue, however, remains fully intact. In plumbing, the bits of toilet paper can speed down the waste lines, but tissues remain big enough to catch on something, contributing to a clog.

Though of course you still can't drop half a roll worth of TP into the bowl and expect it to slide down the tubes like a penny down a sidewalk grate.

I never knew this! Thank you both for spelling it out! Now I actually feel a bit embarrased that I never knew this... it makes so much sense. How did I not know?!

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:21 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
How about putting up small signs in each bathroom?

When she arrived and we were settling her into her room, we let her know to use the pre-cut toilet paper. She said she chose to use the tissues anyway because she "didn't think it was a big deal." So, sadly, a sign wouldn't have helped in this case because she chose to knowingly disregard our wishes anyway.

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 6:00 pm
Golde wrote:
I never knew this! Thank you both for spelling it out! Now I actually feel a bit embarrased that I never knew this... it makes so much sense. How did I not know?!

It's not intuitive, nor is it the sort of thing they teach you in BY, seminary or college. Possibly in plumbing school.

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 6:20 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
When she arrived and we were settling her into her room, we let her know to use the pre-cut toilet paper. She said she chose to use the tissues anyway because she "didn't think it was a big deal." So, sadly, a sign wouldn't have helped in this case because she chose to knowingly disregard our wishes anyway.

Wow. How do such people sleep at night?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics