Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Depriving water at bedtime
  Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next

NechaMom

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:09 am
amother Magenta wrote:
You are relentless. Stop being so rude and read my posts upthread. I answered already regarding the water bottles.

Her mind is set. No use arguing. You are likely the most abusive mother on earth. Reach out to the Guinness world record for a page!

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:10 am
According to this logic you need to let your kids eat whenever they want too or your abusive
Teaching kids good habits isn't abuse. I know when my kids wake up in middle of the night for a drink they are really thirsty. And I give them water.
Enabling them to wake up every 5 minutes for a drink is abuse. Their bodies need to rest!!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:10 am
amother Midnight wrote:
OP it's so nice that you know more than the 3 well respected urologists I've been to. What are your credentials?

And it's easy enough to spill a contigo water bottle if the kid UNSCREWS THE LID! (Which my son has done)

Ok, so place a small cup of a little water near their bed, and remove items that can get damaged by spillage. Whatever. These aren’t reasons to deprive water.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Why does this have to be so complicated. Just have water access and the power struggle disappears. I have seen numerous times moms not allowing their kids to drink because it’s too close to bedtime.

This isn’t necessary control that a parent should have. Every child should have access to water when they need it.

When a child feels satiated that they always have access they magically don’t feel so thirsty anymore as he doesn’t feel deprived and controlled.The whole argument and power struggle disappears.

So you do what works for you, and let others do what works for them. There's no one way that works for all kids.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Why does this have to be so complicated. Just have water access and the power struggle disappears. I have seen numerous times moms not allowing their kids to drink because it’s too close to bedtime.

This isn’t necessary control that a parent should have. Every child should have access to water when they need it.

When a child feels satiated that they always have access they magically don’t feel so thirsty anymore as he doesn’t feel deprived and controlled.The whole argument and power struggle disappears.

Is it always your way or the highway?
No need to hug every post that disagrees with you. As I said, take it down a notch. Most moms on here are not abusive.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:12 am
amother Mocha wrote:
According to this logic you need to let your kids eat whenever they want too or your abusive
Teaching kids good habits isn't abuse. I know when my kids wake up in middle of the night for a drink they are really thirsty. And I give them water.
Enabling them to wake up every 5 minutes for a drink is abuse. Their bodies need to rest!!!!

It’s not good habits to withhold water. The more water the better. Just let them have a water bottle and it’s not even a discussion. They drink when they want or need. Zehu.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok, so place a small cup of a little water near their bed, and remove items that can get damaged by spillage. Whatever. These aren’t reasons to deprive water.

So I should move my kids dresser, remove their linen and clothing, or perhaps have them sleep outside on the grass naked so nothing gets soaked when they spill their water.....
Thanks for this brilliant idea, why didn't I think of it till now?? LOL

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:14 am
I don’t know if this is has been mentioned but if a kid is really truly thirsty after drinking well by supper time and having a cup before bed, and yet they stil ask again once in bed, more than once, please get them checked out.
Needing to drink so much is a sign of diabetes!

Seriously OP go back home and worry aboht your own kids. Unless you’re willing to pour multiple cups of water wipe up all the spills and collect the same full cups afterwards, don’t tell me how to parent my kids.

amother
Midnight

NechaMom wrote:
Is it always your way or the highway?
No need to hug every post that disagrees with you. As I said, take it down a notch. Most moms on here are not abusive.
Hugging every post that disagrees ... hmm that sounds familiar

amother
Magenta

amother OP wrote:
It’s not good habits to withhold water. The more water the better. Just let them have a water bottle and it’s not even a discussion. They drink when they want or need. Zehu.

Good for you that this works for you.
Let us do what works for us without being called horrible names.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:15 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Apparently OP doesn't want to read that kids unscrew the kids, as it doesn't fit her agenda of relentlessly attacking those that don't do exactly as she says.

My kids spill water and make a mess as well. That’s not a reason to deprive water access.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:16 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
I don’t know if this is has been mentioned but if a kid is really truly thirsty after drinking well by supper time and having a cup before bed, and yet they stil ask again once in bed, more than once, please get them checked out.

Seriously OP go back home and worry aboht your own kids. Unless you’re willing to pour multiple cups of water wipe up all the spills and collect the same full cups afterwards, don’t tell me how to parent my kids.
To be fair you do need to be on top of your kids and make sure they drink well by supper. Mine often don't without being reminded.

But if you know they drank then yes, listen to every urologist I've been to and don't let them drink more than a bit close to bedtime!

amother
OP

HonesttoGod wrote:

This is an important PSA. Thank you.

amother
Midnight

amother OP wrote:
I'm still wondering about your urology credentials ...

NechaMom

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:17 am
amother OP wrote:
This is an important PSA. Thank you.

Did you read her last paragraph as well?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:17 am
It depends on the day. On a hot or humid day I give my kids unlimited water. On a cool day I limit drinks a bit. If they really want a drink they go to the sink. My 2 year old prefers juice and that I limit. I tell her if she is thirsty she gets water. Suddenly not as interested.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:18 am
amother OP wrote:
My kids spill water and make a mess as well. That’s not a reason to deprive water access.

This doesn't make you a better mother then us, I guarantee you that.
If my kid is thirsty, they get to drink. Don't worry.
(And you quite obviously never had to change linen, kids pj's, wash up beds, floors, dressers, empty & wash out wet drawers... on a nightly basis.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:20 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
Personally it doesn’t sit right with me to ever tell a kid they can’t have water. It should be their right and decision. It’s water! There is no way to know for sure if a kid is actually thirsty or just pulling shtick or just doing it out of habit except to trust them when they say they are thirsty…

This. Thank you.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:20 am
To me the OP sounds like the type of person who would call CPS on a relative for not having her kids in bed by 9. She would probably call CPS on every mother who doesn't allow their kids to have a drink every 5 minutes at bedtime. It's really scary what's happening to our generation.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:21 am
I don't think saying I prefer to keep my children's drinks out of the bedroom is abusive. My kids can always have a drink when they say they need one, I just don't like them keeping bottles or cups in their bedroom.
I remember once, dd did bring her bottle into her room and decided to unscrew the lid to drink from it that way. Why, who knows? But you can probably guess the next step was it somehow just all spilt. So that was a full bottle, all over her, over her blanket, pillow, sheets etc. I was not best pleased.
But I do agree with most of the mothers who are saying that a child who is drinking plenty in the day, and has drunk plenty before bed, is unlikely to be dying of thirst 5 minutes after they got into bed. And it's the ripple effect. Child 1 says they're thirsty. 2 seconds later, child 2 is sooo thirsty and then they're all sooo thirsty. And once they've all had a drink, they somehow all need the toilet at the exact same time.
Page 3 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics