Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else following the titan submersible story?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

zoom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:16 pm
Yes Im following too.

So terrifying.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:20 pm
Trademark wrote:
They probably signed a document that they are aware of the risks and that it's not regulated etc.

I can't fathom what would compel a person to take such a risk.

One of them was already in space and now wanted to go into depths of the oceans. I would like my feet planted firmly on the ground, no space or oceans for me!

They have done research on brain chemistry of "thrill seekers" and they are definitely different than people who shun high risk activities if possible.

I also can't fathom someone who wants thrills for the seek of thrills. I do like new experiences but for me that is more like visiting a new city or reading an interesting new book or equivalent. I have never had the slightest desire to sky dive or to rappel down a mountain or climb Mount Everest.

I applaud the courage of people like the astronauts who went into space but there was actually a purpose behind it as many good things came from the research - including Tang LOL And I assume that many of them - especially the earliest Mercury 7 astronauts did have more than normal "thrill' chemistry as they were jet pilots and many of them were test pilots. By the way - The Right Stuff is still a great movie

Highstrung

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:21 pm
Am I the only one that thinks they may have imploded on the way down and didn’t feel anything? And that’s why they can’t be located ?

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:25 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks they may have imploded on the way down and didn’t feel anything? And that’s why they can’t be located ?

I'm pretty sure they had contact with them at first, or am I wrong? Maybe that's impossible but I thought I read that somewhere.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:25 pm
Highstrung wrote:

You’re certainly not the only one. If God forbid they do not make it, everybody wants to think they imploded as opposed to prolonged suffering.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:28 pm
watergirl wrote:
You’re certainly not the only one. If God forbid they do not make it, everybody wants to think they imploded as opposed to prolonged suffering.

They might still find them, and get them out alive! I'm trying to be optimistic, probably not realistic at this point though. The worst is that the families and loved ones won't know any details. Maybe forever Crying

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:35 pm
Brings back memories of the Dakar, among others. (British WWII sub that was refurbished, commissioned into the Israeli navy, and set sail for Israel in 1968. It vanished a few days into the trip, and Israel continued searching for it for 30 years. Its remains were finally found in 1999 at the bottom of the sea.)

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:51 pm
I literally get claustrophobic when I think about it.
I mean even going down there with no issues is terrifying to me and makes my heart race but my Gd I hope they have a quick painless death if that did/does happen. How awful.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:54 pm
I just can't help but think why oh why did they willingly enter a water coffin. I just can't imagine being squished and the panic. It's just a horror.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:03 pm
This might sound ridiculous, but did anyone else ever read '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'?

It was a science fiction book written when submarines were only an imaginary concept, but is about life on a submarine for months at a time - including a chapter where the submarine gets trapped underwater, and they are almost out of oxygen. I haven't been able to get that scene out of my mind. It's not completely scientifically accurate but the imagery of slowly dying of hypoxia is strong enough that I can't get rid of it as I watch this story unfolding.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:20 pm
This is so triggering.

At least this time everyone is trying to help, is allowed to help.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:32 pm
Elfrida wrote:
This might sound ridiculous, but did anyone else ever read '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'?

It was a science fiction book written when submarines were only an imaginary concept, but is about life on a submarine for months at a time - including a chapter where the submarine gets trapped underwater, and they are almost out of oxygen. I haven't been able to get that scene out of my mind. It's not completely scientifically accurate but the imagery of slowly dying of hypoxia is strong enough that I can't get rid of it as I watch this story unfolding.

I read it when I was around 8 years old. I remember that section as accepting their fate of death, far more than in any of their other adventures.

I refuse to follow the news updates on this story. It's too sad. They either lived, or they didn't live, and me reading up on it like a serial novel won't improve their chances of recovery.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:40 pm
NechaMom wrote:
We see it on this thread as well. Actually shocking.

For that matter, I found the tour itself to be the same. A massive tragedy turned into a sightseeing attraction.

Regardless, this is horrific and I am hopeful they will all be rescued in time.

Just One

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:41 pm
Like a different poster upthread, this situation is bringing me back to the Thai soccer team saga back in 2018. Thankfully they were all saved, but in this case there are literally 2 vessels in the world capable of rescue and none of them are on the scene yet.

Time is running out and it's heartbreaking to watch.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:48 pm
Just One wrote:
Like a different poster upthread, this situation is bringing me back to the Thai soccer team saga back in 2018. Thankfully they were all saved, but in this case there are literally 2 vessels in the world capable of rescue and none of them are on the scene yet.

Time is running out and it's heartbreaking to watch.

I agree that it was different. They had water, food, blankets etc given to the trapped kids so it was very different but it was terrifying still.
This is just horrific!

scruffy

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:53 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I agree that it was different. They had water, food, blankets etc given to the trapped kids so it was very different but it was terrifying still.
This is just horrific!

It took about 10 days to get to the trapped kids though. No one knew how they were doing before then.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 1:57 pm
scruffy wrote:
It took about 10 days to get to the trapped kids though. No one knew how they were doing before then.

Oh yes, I was late to the story so I don't remember the worry and panic that must have brought to the families and world.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 2:02 pm
I know this is the least of their worries but would they have enough food/drink?! What about a bathroom on board? There must've been one...

Typical me thinking of these 'mundane' things. After the huge earthquake recently in Turkey, I was worrying about the poor baby's trapped underneath the rubble without food/drinks and diaper changes 😫 hard to think about.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 2:03 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
This whole story is making me feel incredibly anxious. I literally cannot imagine what it's like to be bolted shut inside a claustrophobic death tube, who knows where in the ocean, knowing your oxygen is rapidly running out. I think the adults are dummies for paying a quarter million dollars to lock themselves into this thing that didn't meet safety standards and was being operated by a Playstation controller, but no one deserves such an agonizing slow death. And I keep thinking about the dad with his teenage son - the guilt the father must feel, and how the son was probably nervous but trusted his dad... if they can't be rescued alive then I really hope the death was quick and immediate.

This.
The story is not being covered as intensively here in Israel - mostly because of the deteriorating security situation that is obviously the main media focus - and I have to say that I am grateful that it's not getting the same type of sensational coverage that I'm sure it's getting in other places in the world.
I'm finding that even though I'm really not spending lots of time reading what is being put out, the story is infiltrating my consciousness and just putting me in a bad frame of mind (along with everything going on here of course). It's just too horrific in all respects.

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 2:05 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I know this is the least of their worries but would they have enough food/drink?! What about a bathroom on board? There must've been one...

Typical me thinking of these 'mundane' things. After the huge earthquake recently in Turkey, I was worrying about the poor baby's trapped underneath the rubble without food/drinks and diaper changes 😫 hard to think about.

I always think of these things too!

They do have a small toilet.

I think it was meant to be for a few days, so they have some food.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics