Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Hotel in Jerusalem with mehadrin hechsher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 2:48 pm
Can anyone recommend a really nice hotel with mehadrin hechsher in Jerusalem? Price isn’t an issue.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 2:50 pm
Litov

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 3:08 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Litov

Thanks but I was looking for more upscale, something along the lines of the the Waldorf Astoria but with a good hechsher

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 3:54 pm
So there is no such thing in Jerusalem.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks but I was looking for more upscale, something along the lines of the the Waldorf Astoria but with a good hechsher

Well, I stayed in the Waldorf too and yes, you are right it is definitely more upscale but it is not mehadrin. We were actually told that it was okay to eat the breakfast there despite it not being mehadrin but you should ask for yourself of course. When we went as a family we were more comfortable staying at litov. I don’t think there is anything upscale that is mehadrin but trust me, the mehadrin hotels in yerushalayim are waaay nicer than the kosher hotels in upstate NY!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:17 pm
When I called the Waldorf they told me they're under Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehadrin. Is that different than Mehadrin? Is that not an acceptable hechsher? This is only for breakfast. As an aside, is the Sheraton/Leonardo Mehadrin?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:21 pm
This one is Badatz
https://y33.co.il/

mom4many

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:32 pm
Nothing like Waldorf Astoria that’s mehadrin. I know people (not particularly finicky) that were extremely disappointed at Litov.

The best Mehadrin hotels I can think of are Leonardo Plaza & Ramada.

Below that are Ganei Yerushalayim, Prima Palace, Prima Kings & King Solomon (which went down IMO).

There’s a level below, but we’ll skip that…

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I called the Waldorf they told me they're under Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehadrin. Is that different than Mehadrin? Is that not an acceptable hechsher? This is only for breakfast. As an aside, is the Sheraton/Leonardo Mehadrin?

Okay. Let me try to break this down. In America everyone more or less agrees on kashrus. In Israel it's not like that. Even within mehadrin there's differences of opinions. Standard BY seminaries do not reccomend you use like half of the mehadrin heschers out there.

You need to ask someone you know and trust in Yerushalayim.

We eat Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalayim for dairy and so do most of our friends and family. But alot of chareidi people don't eat it.

According to a lot of rabbanim it's an acceptable hescher. According to others it's not.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:33 pm
Oh and I've heard litov is absolutely horrible.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:34 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Okay. Let me try to break this down. In America everyone more or less agrees on kashrus. In Israel it's not like that. Even within mehadrin there's differences of opinions. Standard BY seminaries do not reccomend you use like half of the mehadrin heschers out there.

You need to ask someone you know and trust in Yerushalayim.

We eat Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalayim for dairy and so do most of our friends and family. But alot of chareidi people don't eat it.

According to a lot of rabbanim it's an acceptable hescher. According to others it's not.

Well said, we for example don't eat that hechsher at all. (mainstream)

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think it is an acceptable hecsher.

But I'm not you.

Perhaps you should consult your rav, since this is something community-specific.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:36 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Well said, we for example don't eat that hechsher at all. (mainstream)

Someone recently posted here rabbi weiner told them it was fine if they avoided things that are commonly infested with bugs.

A lot of it is politics. But some is kashrus issues and it's really hard to know which is from what.

It's funny because a lot of our friends didn't eat it a few years ago but now alot of them suddenly do, even some like really super Israeli BY type.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:45 pm
The on the ground situation with hechsherim also constantly changes.

What we do with Rabbanut Yerushalym Mehadrin for dairy is call the establishment,a sk them for the mashgiachs number, intoduces himself as an avreich in the mir and ask him questions like:
- where are the greens/ vegetables from, what hechsher do they have
- who washes the lettuce (is it the mashgiach or someone else)
- what hechsherim are the products that are used. are the products Beit yosef
- is everyine in the kitchen jewish, and if not is there always a frum person around
- how often is he in the kitchen/ does checks

There have been times with rabbanut mehadrin for dairy where we did not eat in the establishment because we did not get a good vibe from the mashgiach - or they straight out said this is not for you or I wouldn't eat here.

Other times we have felt comfortable.

We have the same protocol for Machpud meat restaurants, with similar results.

We check every single time we go. In comparison, when its a hechser like Rubin, Badatz yerushalyim, Landau, Shearis - we just walk in and eat.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

Acceptable is a relative term. Obviously lots of people accept it if it’s always full. If I could afford it I’d accept it!

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

The Leonardo Plaza on King George is mehadrin.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:40 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
The on the ground situation with hechsherim also constantly changes.

What we do with Rabbanut Yerushalym Mehadrin for dairy is call the establishment,a sk them for the mashgiachs number, intoduces himself as an avreich in the mir and ask him questions like:
- where are the greens/ vegetables from, what hechsher do they have
- who washes the lettuce (is it the mashgiach or someone else)
- what hechsherim are the products that are used. are the products Beit yosef
- is everyine in the kitchen jewish, and if not is there always a frum person around
- how often is he in the kitchen/ does checks

There have been times with rabbanut mehadrin for dairy where we did not eat in the establishment because we did not get a good vibe from the mashgiach - or they straight out said this is not for you or I wouldn't eat here.

Other times we have felt comfortable.

We have the same protocol for Machpud meat restaurants, with similar results.

We check every single time we go. In comparison, when its a hechser like Rubin, Badatz yerushalyim, Landau, Shearis - we just walk in and eat.

My husband worked in a popular place in Jerusalem that is rubin. The mashgiach barely came and didn't really check much because the owner was a chareidi guy so he trusted him.

He said the mashgiach that came to the bet Yosef resteraunt he worked in was much more thorough.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
The Leonardo Plaza on King George is mehadrin.

....and their food is amazing.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
My husband worked in a popular place in Jerusalem that is rubin. The mashgiach barely came and didn't really check much because the owner was a chareidi guy so he trusted him.

He said the mashgiach that came to the bet Yosef resteraunt he worked in was much more thorough.

When was this?

Rubin has gone thru stages when it was better run and worse run. This is our mehalach for right now. Our problem with bet yosef wuld be using the meat with bet yosef - my husband has spoken to many shochtim and does not feel comftorable with the system they use for checking the knives, how quickly the line. BTW most of the shochtim are the same for different hechsherim , but they have different procedures.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 8:57 pm
How much does 33 Yirmiyahu cost?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics