Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Have I got OCD?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:22 am
I cover my toilet seat with toilet paper every time I use it. Unless cleaned properly right before I use it.
I cant bare the thought of the germs that are on it...

salt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:28 am
As I understand it, OCD is only if it gets in the way of your regular functioning an a day-to-day basis.

Seeing as covering the toilet seat takes less than 10 seconds and doesn't waste all that much toilet paper, I don't think you could consider it OCD.
Most people do this when they go to public toilets. You just do it at home too.

Truth is, our household members can have germs just like anyone else in the public toilets.

Although if you think about it, what does it matter if you get germs on your behind. You're not going to lick it. You are washing your hands as soon as you leave the bathroom - the fact that you covered the seat with toilet paper is probably going to get you more germs, because you are handling the toilet paper - laying it on the seat - possibly touching the seat while you do this, etc.
So if you're looking for logic to help you stop this habit, I hope that helped!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:30 am
I do it too, was told it's ocd
But don't know how ppl are ok x to

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:30 am
I hear you. But I dont touch the seat...
Plus as you wrote, I wash my hands with soap after...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:32 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I do it too, was told it's ocd
But don't know how ppl are ok x to

I also cant stand the fact of pin worms.
So if my kids use the toilet after going to school/cheideh and then use the bathroom at home the germs have carried over no?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 5:40 am
Possibly, but I was told to be so conscious of germs isn't regular

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 6:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I also cant stand the fact of pin worms.
So if my kids use the toilet after going to school/cheideh and then use the bathroom at home the germs have carried over no?

Do you children have pinworms? Have they ever caught pinworms? If they do then maybe being extra careful about germs on toilets in your own home is a reasonable response. If they never did then realize you can’t catch it if they didn’t catch it. You catch it from infected people’s dirty hands. And it would be everywhere your kids touch, not just on toilets.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 6:39 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Do you children have pinworms? Have they ever caught pinworms? If they do then maybe being extra careful about germs on toilets in your own home is a reasonable response. If they never did then realize you can’t catch it if they didn’t catch it. You catch it from infected people’s dirty hands. And it would be everywhere your kids touch, not just on toilets.

Right. I don't think pinworms can just travel up into your backside and settle there, although that does sound logical.
I think it's through touch and oral transmission.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 6:49 am
salt wrote:
Right. I don't think pinworms can just travel up into your backside and settle there, although that does sound logical.
I think it's through touch and oral transmission.

oh?
Never knew that
My kids did have pinworms.
Dr said that the whole family should take the medication for it, because its very likely that if one person in the household had it, then we might all.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 6:51 am
amother OP wrote:
oh?
Never knew that
My kids did have pinworms.
Dr said that the whole family should take the medication for it, because its very likely that if one person in the household had it, then we might all.

Right, cos you touch your kids hands. And you put your hands in your mouth.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 8:07 am
What do you do if you need the bathroom asap? Hold it in when you cover it and risk an accident?

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 8:44 am
Yes, it's ocd

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:10 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
What do you do if you need the bathroom asap? Hold it in when you cover it and risk an accident?

Unless you have medical issues, you can easily avoid needing to go asap by going as soon as you feel the urge instead of delaying.

Op we can’t diagnose based on your op. Does this show up in any other area of your life?

I cover the seat at work but not at home. My toilet seats are cleaned once or twice a week as well as if there’s anything noticeable in between.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:18 am
I have a master bathroom and only use that one vs the public one. You can call it ocd or just a preference. Like others said, if it doesn’t affect your daily life, or this is the only place “you go the extra mile”, it’s not ocd.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:28 am
salt wrote:
Right, cos you touch your kids hands. And you put your hands in your mouth.

This!
Pinworms don't jump on someone's naked tush sitting on the toilet seat. It's transferred by unwashed hands that touches face and mouth!
Washing hands properly WITH SOAP several times a day is an *excellent* way to prevent pinworms and lots of other things.
Especially kids of all ages should be trained and taught and *especially* before eating or snacking.
Cellphone keys and computer keyboard is probably far more germier than a toilet seat.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I cover my toilet seat with toilet paper every time I use it. Unless cleaned properly right before I use it.
I cant bare the thought of the germs that are on it...

Your cellphone and keys are probably far more germier than your toilet seat.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 9:44 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
Unless you have medical issues, you can easily avoid needing to go asap by going as soon as you feel the urge instead of delaying.

Op we can’t diagnose based on your op. Does this show up in any other area of your life?

I cover the seat at work but not at home. My toilet seats are cleaned once or twice a week as well as if there’s anything noticeable in between.

This happens to me and I don't have medical issues

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:25 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

yup Can't Believe It

contextual

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 11:30 am
OCD comprises an obsession, which leads to a compulsion.

Obsession=(simplified) thought
"germs on my toilet, germs on every toilet, this is VERY BAD"

Compulsion= (simplified) action
"therefore, I cannot use the toilet without covering it"

The building blocks of OCD are intrusive thoughts, followed by actions you can't control.
A good idea is to speak to an unbiased expert on the subject.

Is this considered normative behavior for my situation?
If so, you're just being cautious

Is this considered over the top by an expert?
Hidden: 

check out if it's OCD

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 1:29 pm
I do the same thing OP.
It also makes the seat more comfortable in my opinion.
I would say that I have OCD but this isn't something that I necessarily view in that category.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry