Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What do you serve with Chicken- during the week?
1  2  Next

queen

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:27 pm
Looking for some new ideas of what to serve with Chicken during the week. Tired of standard rice with mixed vegies.

Please only post EASY (I.e. quick) suggestions!

Thanks
Queen

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:30 pm
I bake plain potatoes- sweet or regular.
If I want to get fancier, I cut them up into smaller pieces, spray with olive oil spray, salt and pepper= homemade fries.
I like buying the frozen corn (not on a cob). It takes really fast to make.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:33 pm
I do couscous. I add hot tap water and let it sit for 5 minutes and then mix in soup mix or gravy from the chicken.

I also serve canned veggies or fresh veggies that are raw if I want quick and easy.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:37 pm
Oh I can empathize! Chicken every night...
besides rice, pasta, kugel, challah kugel (more leftovers) and fruit salad...

mom4

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:38 pm
my fam. loves when I make fried rice - not difficult - I just fry an onion diced, after that I fry an egg or two in the same pan with the onion, mix a lot so that the eggs are tiny peices- then soy sauce (as much as you like)- mix in cooked rice for a couple of min. - some salt and pepper - and your done!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:39 pm
I make soups.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:42 pm
You don't need a starch, just make a big vegetable salad. You could also serve with small rolls, whole wheat or not. The other day, I put a sweet potato in the microwave and microwaved it like a regular potato and it was yummy. Even my daughter who doesn't like sweet potatoes, liked it.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:48 pm
grilled vegetables. Morocan couscous. sauteed zucchini with onions and tomatoes.

cook potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes under the chicken. This tastes great and its all in one.

puff pastry shell with a mushroom filling, spinach filling or brocc filling.

borekas

Beauticianista

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:48 pm
sometimes I just cut reg. or red potatoes into cubes, and toss with olive oil, paprika, black pepper, onion & garlic powder salt, and pop it in the oven. Or I make rice in the microwave: 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1 T. consomme soup mix, some salt and a drop of oil, and cover with saran wrap. Microwave for 10 minutes, stir, then another 5 min, stir, and microwave it some more if it's still watery. Or you can just use baby corn from the can...orzo w/ veg....

yummydd

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 2:16 pm
you can make regular mashed potatoe and if you want sweet mashed potatoe too then syringe it or with a scoop put it on a baking tray and abke till top is crispy.

potatoe or vegetable blintzes or bourekas

kraut lockshen

couscous, farfel

Pizza

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 3:23 pm
We never have chicken during the week - not in the budget.
If I did, I would probably bake a sweet potato or brown rice with fried onions & mushrooms, maybe some sauteed cabbage w/salt. Yummmmm

sky

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 3:27 pm
couscous - you can get these with flavor packets to make things a little different or you can put the couscous in the pan under the chicken with sweet potatoes.

For a very quick side dish cut one onion in rings, open 2 cans baby potatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oil. Bake covered until soft.

sweet potatoe french fries. Cut french fries into matchsticks and sprinkle with salt garlic pepper and oil. Bake at 450 for 1 hour.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 3:29 pm
Mashed potatoes and brocolli, spinache rice, israeli cous cous and salad.

forever

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 7:56 pm
French fries.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:11 pm
A ton of different kind of potatoe dishes
A ton of different kind of rice dishes
A few different types of noodle dishes.

Open a recipe book to the side dish section and try things from there.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:16 pm
wow you have chicken every night? You are so lucky. My typical last minute dinner is ground turkey with taco seasoning.

queen

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:22 pm
No, we don't have chix every night. Usually once a week aside from Shabbos.
Tonight I made mashed (mixture) of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. (added fried onions)

Thanks all for the ideas... please keep them coming.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:23 pm
waterbottle wrote:
wow you have chicken every night? You are so lucky. My typical last minute dinner is ground turkey with taco seasoning.

I happen to like ground turkey much better than chicken.

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:24 pm
No one mentioned quinoa. So yummy and so healthy. They have boxed versions that are ready - just cook with water for a bit and youre done.

Also try what Israelis call "petitim" and my family calls keskousan. It is Israeli couscous or you can use (what I use) Acini di pepe pasta. Cooks so quickly! You can add sauted onions and chickpeas or anything else you want. REALLY EASY and yum! Make it sweet or salty or savory or with ketchup. Kids love it too.

Also you can make rice with corn or lentils or chickpeas or fried onion slices. You can mix up the rice to make it interesting.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:43 pm
breaded zuchinni baked in the oven

thinly sliced butternut squash, sprayed with pam (or drizzled with oil), and sprinkled with salt, roasted in the oven

I like to make rice interesting by sauteing some onions and diced different colored peppers, and adding that to the rice along with salt and pepper. The sauteed peppers add a great flavor.

I also make a tomato chutney for rice, which is delicious. It's basically a sauce for the rice, but it's flavored with cinnamon and cumin and a couple other spices, and the result is really yummy. If you'd like the recipe, let me know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes