Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
She won't be traumatized, right? UPDATE
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Yes, long term effects. I would only do this if it was a medical emergency.
Same.

Honeymoon vacations need to be before there’s a baby in the picture, or once they’re over 2.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Are you serious?
Op, please don't listen to this.
Long term effects of a week spent with grandparents? Stop it.

THIS.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:15 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Are you serious?

I'm not saying she should or shouldn't do it.

Though for a 6-month old baby there's no difference if it's grandparents or a random person, unless she's used to being frequently with them.

(And for a 6-month old - frequently being with someone means being held and cared for by them. Not randomly being in their presence while sitting in their carriage.)

amother
Khaki

I did it when my baby was 2 months old and yes she was traumatized

amother
Bellflower

amother Honeysuckle wrote:
She'll be perfectly fine! This is the best age to go away before shes old enough to really miss you
Do make sure that she takes a bottle nicely if you're nursing
A 6 month old is definitely old enough to miss their mother, who they’ve known for 14 months already. They aren’t old enough to show it. That’s even worse.

Genius

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
The baby is six months old. It’s the equivalent of your husband leaving you with your parents for a month because he wants to go on vacation. How would that impact you?

These two scenarios are equal?
Op it seems like after thinking this through tyou came to the conclusion that going is in the best interest of your family. You don’t have to overthink. Your baby will be fine bez”h. Grandparents are close family.

amother
Amaranthus

amother Crystal wrote:
Are you serious?

OP did ask and everyone is entitled to give their opinion. You can never know the long term effects this may be leaving, especially if she's not so familiar with the grandparents and their home. It's no different then strangers.

amother
Bellflower

amother Brass wrote:
I'm not saying she should or shouldn't do it.

Though for a 6-month old baby there's no difference if it's grandparents or a random person, unless she's used to being frequently with them.

(And for a 6-month old - frequently being with someone means being held and cared for by them. Not randomly being in their presence while sitting in their carriage.)
The baby would be better off staying with a babysitter they know and trust IMO

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Does she go to a sitter every day? If yes, maybe the sitter would have her for those few days.

We just let our babysitter go for the summer, and baby seemed OK with the change in caregivers. Our babysitter was not Jewish so I don't think I would send her there lol.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:18 pm
A 6 month old is definitely old enough to miss their mother, who they’ve known for 14 months already. They aren’t old enough to show it. That’s even worse.

That doesn’t translate to trauma.

Not every sadness is trauma.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:19 pm
Genius wrote:
Op it seems like after thinking this through tyou came to the conclusion that going is in the best interest of your family. You don’t have to overthink. Your baby will be fine bez”h. Grandparents are close family.

If the baby isn't familiar with the grandparents and their home, it's no different than a stranger. It just makes the parents feel better, but makes no difference to the child.

gootlfriends

Honestly? If they are capable of taking care of a energetic baby who will touch everything and needs lots of attention and make a mess and might not sleep well. Then sure. I know people who have done it and the baby was fine. As long as caretakers know the baby and what he or she needs. At that age it doesn't matter who takes care as long as it's familiar.

amother
Brass

amother Honeysuckle wrote:
She'll be perfectly fine! This is the best age to go away before shes old enough to really miss you
Do make sure that she takes a bottle nicely if you're nursing

Is this a joke? They younger they are, the MORE they need their mother.

As I said, I'm not telling OP to do it or not to do it. It could be it's the right thing for her even though I wouldn't do it. But, many of these feel-good responses make no sense.

amother
Bellflower

Genius wrote:
This scenario is worse IMO. A week for a baby is longer than a month for an adult. And a baby needs its mother more than an adult needs their spouse. They’re wired to depend on their mother for survival.

amother
OP

amother Khaki wrote:
I did it when my baby was 2 months old and yes she was traumatized

In what way?

Genius

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:20 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
If the baby isn't familiar with the grandparents and their home, it's no different than a stranger. It just makes the parents feel better, but makes no difference to the child.

Ok. This doesn’t make it traumatic.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:

THIS!

amother
DarkGray

We did this with my oldest DD.
She knew my parents very well and their home was practically her second home.
I did cry the entire flight to our vacation, and I did miss her terribly, but it was 100% worth it and BH no ill effects on DD.

If she is comfortable at your parents house do not worry.

amother
Bellflower

amother Mintcream wrote:

It’s abandonment! Yes it’s trauma!

Genius

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:22 pm
This scenario is worse IMO. A week for a baby is longer than a month for an adult. And a baby needs its mother more than an adult needs their spouse. They’re wired to depend on their mother for survival.

These two scenarios have nothing in common. I agree with you that this is a bigger deal if the only perspective we are considering is the person being left. As I said it’s no comparison in any way so…
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics