Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Diet based on the rambam
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 3:52 am
I met someone who lost a ton of weight, I asked her how and she said shes doing this diet based on the rambams work. I dunno what its called, but would love to read more about it. I decided I'm going to do this diet bec it sounds like fit for life but much healthier and easier.

First rule- no drinking while you're eating.
Second- 20 mins cardiovascular exercise a day.
One meal a day should be water based- meaning either fruits or vegetables (but not both)
One meal a day should be something water based and then either a starch or a protein
And one meal a day can have all the above.
She said beter not to snack between meals, but if you do, eat something like a fruit or whatnot.

Anyone hear of this diet and what its name is?

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 4:40 am
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Tra.....r=8-1
also pm hindarochel,or chosidmom I think they have the book and tried it.
there was a discussion about it.seach for rambam diet
or google rambam diet.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 5:16 am
Hi Seraph.
I bought the book at my local bookstore.

If you ask me, it's basically Fit for Life!!!! Fruits/veggies for breakfast and food combining rules for the rest of the meals.

I couldn't get beyond the first week because of the fruit for breakfast. Left me starving.

It's a fascinating book to read, though...

Akeres Habayis

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 3:36 pm
can u have potatoes in the morning???
I might purchase the book,it seems everyone has issues w/the morning!!
but if I can have potatoes,I could probably do it,that's feeling.or it has to be raw,fruits and veggies??

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 3:39 pm
You have to have a "high water content" meal once a day. it can be whenever you want it and not necessarily in the morning. You cannot have potatoes at that meal. You can have fruits with nuts or vegetables with seeds. No potatoes. You can have things like peas and winter squash though...

He says that according to Rambam you should only be eating 2 meals a day. So, by making one of your 3 meals a high water content meal that's how you supposedly get around it...

The other meals are either carbs + veggies or protein (one kind) + veggies.

freidasima

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 3:51 pm
From what I understand it's basically what a good deal of the the Kingston clinic diet is based on. That's the one that Dr. Strauss z"l from Yerushalayim taught.

Fruit for breakfast, 2 slices whole wheat bread with salad and white cheese, for lunch and protein such as an egg or after quite a while of detoxing, organic chicken, for supper with whole rice and cooked veg for supper. Drinking only 20 minutes after or before a meal.

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 4:11 pm
freidasima wrote:
From what I understand it's basically what a good deal of the the Kingston clinic diet is based on. That's the one that Dr. Strauss z"l from Yerushalayim taught.

Fruit for breakfast, 2 slices whole wheat bread with salad and white cheese, for lunch and protein such as an egg or after quite a while of detoxing, organic chicken, for supper with whole rice and cooked veg for supper. Drinking only 20 minutes after or before a meal.

No. For the first couple of months you don't eat any meals which mix protein and carbs. . The meals are either protein or carbs. No sandwiches or chicken with rice.

Akeres, if you want to talk about it I'll pm you my number and I'll tell you whatever you want to know before you go out and spend the 100 shekels!

freidasima

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 4:27 pm
Oh, got it wrong then, it's that diet that everyone was so big on a few years ago here, I have friends who lost lots of weight on it but no one keeps to the no carbs and protiens together forever from what I see, how long do you have to keep to it on this diet?

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 4:29 pm
Forever?

It's a diet for "health". Not just losing weight.

That's why he's got exercising in the plan too. Both aerobics and strength training.

It's basically Fit For Life + exercise. What a disappointment.

freidasima

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 4:52 pm
No carbs and protiens together forever?

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 5:03 pm
Not forever. Just for the first few months. In "Phase 3" you can have a "mixed meal" once a day. In this kind of meal you can't take seconds of anything except vegetables (makes sense). He says that people generally stay in "Phase 2" for a while because they lose weight and it's exhilerating.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 9:54 pm
I started the diet today. I chose it because it supposed to do small steps so that you change you eating habits permanently. So that you take away the bad cravings and bad eating habits.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 12:23 am
The part about incorporating changes slowly is very clever.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 3:45 am
I started researching this diet a while ago, not for weight loss purposes, but just because it sounds healthy and it's the Rambam!

This site doesn't have too much detail, but I thought it was pretty interesting and made a lot of sense. (I'm very into digestive stuff, as I have a problem with my digestive system.)

http://www.jewishhealing.com/r......html

For anyone who was on the diet, does the above link make sense according to the actual book you used (if you get a chance to check it out)?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 4:32 am
My father does not drink with his meal. He's almost 80. His mother taught her kids that it's not healthy and we thought that was a hoot.
Maybe something behind the method?
He's been thin all his adult life.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 4:43 am
The idea from what my tivoni friends explained, is that you need strong stomach acid to bread down food. By diluting it with water you are diluting the acid and it is not as potent and the food doesn't get broken down well. You are also supposed to chew each bite 30 times...the ptylin in the saliva also begins the breaking down process and you therefore digest better.

In any case the diet sounds healthy.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 4:56 am
The diet IS healthy. The question is if it's actually possible to stick to it. I know that I had a very hard time sticking to Fit for Life because I really missed having sandwiches. Eating protein + veggies only (or carbs + veggies only) gets pretty boring after a while ( a very short while!).

Yes, it is much healthier to drink before the meal and not with the meal. All the natural docs will tell you that as well.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 4:59 am
Why aren't you allowed to have protein and carbs together? Are they too hard to digest at the same time?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 5:03 am
Exactly.
You can't even have two kinds of protein together. But you can have different carbs.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 5:10 am
Oops I meant protein + carbs in ONE meal
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise