Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you live in a bi-level/high ranch?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 22 2023, 11:56 pm
We're considering buying one because its on a lovely block in a neighborhood that is otherwise not really in our price range. It's really not our first choice of house type, but we're considering settling on it anyway.

Where is your living space? Where are your bedrooms?

Did you do renovations? What did you do?

Please tell me all about what you like and don't like.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:05 am
We bought a high ranch a few years ago because it was the only type of homes in decent condition within our price range. It was a hard decision but we are really enjoying it and it was a wise investment.
We would have had a harder time adjusting if we had moved with a younger family though.
We have 3 bedrooms upstairs, one of them is very small. And an other 2 bedrooms downstairs. When we moved, our older children were old enough to use the downstairs bedroom, but I think this would be the main drawback if your kids are too young.
Also, since the bedroooms are on the main floor, my younger kids never managed to go to sleep as early as they needed because of the noise. (We thought of adding a door between the day area and bedrooms but never did.) we have a very nice size play room downstairs which our kids and their friends enjoy a lot.
We renovated the garage to add a guest suite, a laundry room and a small office.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:08 am
Thank you for sharing! My kids are young (10 and down)… noise in the main level is a concern to me as well as putting young kids to sleep on a different floor.

Does anyone use the whole lower level as bedrooms and the whole upper level as living area?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for sharing! My kids are young (10 and down)… noise in the main level is a concern to me as well as putting young kids to sleep on a different floor.

Does anyone use the whole lower level as bedrooms and the whole upper level as living area?

Yes, I know many people that have this. All bedrooms downstairs, main are upstairs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:31 am
Has anyone moved the entrance/steps?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone moved the entrance/steps?

I know several people who did this. Put the main entrance on the bottom floor, moved the kitchen and living area down, and put all the bedrooms upstairs. Essentially turns it into a regular colonial style house. It's definitely a costly option but if its in your budget, the results can be amazing.

Just keep in mind if you do that it needs careful design planning to look right. Because you still have that flight of stairs in the middle of the house, and the pipes and ducts run through the ceiling on the bottom floor.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:38 am
I’m not sure the ceiling is high enough to do that. I forgot to check when looking at the house. It May be too “basementy”. The lower level isn’t walk out…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:02 am
Bump for the late Sunday morning peeps Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating