Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
When is the best time to put up soup?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:10 pm
I feel like I get into this dilemma every Friday in the long-Friday seasons.

If you put it up earlier then you end up with it sitting out all day because it's too hot to put in the fridge and then by the time it cools down it's almost time to warm it up again for Shabbos.

If you put it up later then the kitchen is steamy all afternoon and also I have more time and mental space earlier so it just feels efficient to get it done sooner.

I already prepare all the ingredients in advance, this is just about the actual cooking time.

For argument's sake let's take it as a given that the soup is getting cooked on Friday, so suggestions of cooking it Thursday or something aren't going to answer this question (I don't really have room in my fridge for a whole pot of soup anyway)

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:11 pm
I think the longer the soup cooks the better, and I cook it in an instapot so the kitchen doesn't get too hot

English3

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:13 pm
I place the hot soup pot in the empty sink and fill the sink with cold water. This will cool the soup very quickly especially if your cooking every week the soup pot would be a smaller one.

hodeez

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:14 pm
12 o'clock and keep it on the fire all shabbat. My kids eat it for shlishi too. These little ashkis love matzah balls 😂

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:35 pm
I put it up in the morning and let it slow simmer all day. It's delicious that way.

pinkpeonies

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 2:46 pm
I put up in the early morning and cook it the whole day. It’s so rich and golden. Sometimes I put up Thursday night and cook through the night. My soup is amazing if I say so myself

happy chick

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 3:19 pm
I like to put it up early in the afternoon and whenever it's ready, I put it on the blech so it stays warm, but it's not actually cooking anymore.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 4:48 pm
I put it up morngish 10/11 and cook it all day on a low flame.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 4:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I feel like I get into this dilemma every Friday in the long-Friday seasons.

If you put it up earlier then you end up with it sitting out all day because it's too hot to put in the fridge and then by the time it cools down it's almost time to warm it up again for Shabbos.

If you put it up later then the kitchen is steamy all afternoon and also I have more time and mental space earlier so it just feels efficient to get it done sooner.

I already prepare all the ingredients in advance, this is just about the actual cooking time.

For argument's sake let's take it as a given that the soup is getting cooked on Friday, so suggestions of cooking it Thursday or something aren't going to answer this question (I don't really have room in my fridge for a whole pot of soup anyway)

I put it up in the morning, and it simmers until right before shabbos, when my husband puts it into the oven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics