Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Whats the heaviest weights you lift
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:18 pm
Hi..I've been doing light weights for some time- 3,5,10 lbs, many reps.
I'd like to advance but not sure how. Tell me about what your routine is for heavier strength training and how did you get there.
Thank you!

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:26 pm
I carry my kids around they are 45 lbs combined.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:32 pm
My 20 month old.
I would assume you keep your routine as is and just incorporate heavier weights

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:35 pm
Here are a couple ways that you can advance your strength training routine.
1. Heavier weights and less reps, the last few reps should feel like a real effort.
2. Shorter rest time between sets

ces

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:14 am
I deadlift up to 200#. Look into strength training with barbells. Stronglift 5x5 is a good program to start

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:48 am
I use 20-30 lb dumbbells. Took me time to get there though. Kettlebells I can go way heavier. I usually take classes at the gym, when I work out myself I make my own routine based if what I do in the classes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:57 am
Thank you so much for all your advice! Wow! You are all strong
Keep the tips coming. How often do you strength train?

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:04 am
It really depends what lifts you're doing, of course. But the general rule is, if you want to be secretly strong, lift heavy, while if you want to be a little vain and make your muscles more visible, focus on doing as many reps as you can with less rest time.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:38 pm
I do weights 3x a week. it depends on the exercise; I usually take 12 and 15s but I can also use 17.5, 20s and I've been toying with 22 1/2s

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 8:49 pm
Do your reps as slowly as possible. Hold your weights in different was so you end up working out all your muscles. For me following a program helped teach me a lot.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:09 pm
My heaviest deadlift and PR is 320.
I worked it up really slow with my trainer.

I would say lighter weights more reps heavier weights less reps more rest in between sets.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
My heaviest deadlift and PR is 320.
I worked it up really slow with my trainer.

I would say lighter weights more reps heavier weights less reps more rest in between sets.

Wow. Can you tell me your journey to get to this. How long did it take from beginning strength training? How many times a week? How often do you use a trauner- are you at a gym or you have a home gym?

Thank you! So inspiring

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow. Can you tell me your journey to get to this. How long did it take from beginning strength training? How many times a week? How often do you use a trauner- are you at a gym or you have a home gym?

Thank you! So inspiring

Thank you!
To be completely transparent, it took me 5 years of consistent training and a lot of patience to build up to it.
I workout 6 days a week, (3 of those times it’s with my trainer)
A lot of trial and error but the one thing I never did is quit on myself. I had this goal in mind and I didn’t step back until I reached it. Now we’re aiming for 400 so I’m hoping to get there in the next few months.

I workout both, at home and in a gym.

You got this!

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Thank you!
To be completely transparent, it took me 5 years of consistent training and a lot of patience to build up to it.
I workout 6 days a week, (3 of those times it’s with my trainer)
A lot of trial and error but the one thing I never did is quit on myself. I had this goal in mind and I didn’t step back until I reached it. Now we’re aiming for 400 so I’m hoping to get there in the next few months.

I workout both, at home and in a gym.

You got this!

If you don’t mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I also weightlift and think about it in terms of percentage of bodyweight I can do various moves. I’m up to 150% of my bodyweight for squats, 200% for deadlifts and hip thrusts.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:24 pm
What type of home gym do you have. Id love to do more at home but not sure what equipment to invest in. Thanks so much for all your help!

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:43 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....=iAQB

You should probably get a weight bench. And heavier weights.

You can also try kettlebell workouts.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I also weightlift and think about it in terms of percentage of bodyweight I can do various moves. I’m up to 150% of my bodyweight for squats, 200% for deadlifts and hip thrusts.

I weigh a lot, over 190🙈 I struggle with my weight like crazy, always up and down but yet I am super fit and no one would ever guess I weigh that much.

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
What type of home gym do you have. Id love to do more at home but not sure what equipment to invest in. Thanks so much for all your help!

Over the years I’ve purchased equipment. Nothing crazy. A weight bench, bosu ball, med balls, slam balls. Dumbbells and kettlebells in various diff weights, I have a heavy bag, agility ladder, TRX..
you don’t need much to get a good workout in.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 2:59 am
amother Cognac wrote:
I weigh a lot, over 190🙈 I struggle with my weight like crazy, always up and down but yet I am super fit and no one would ever guess I weigh that much.

You have a bigger allowance as you probably have more muscle than the average person.

My struggle is holding in my core correctly when I workout and keeping a good form. Any tips? I do calisthenics

amother
Jasmine

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:28 am
amother Latte wrote:
You have a bigger allowance as you probably have more muscle than the average person.

My struggle is holding in my core correctly when I workout and keeping a good form. Any tips? I do calisthenics

A strong core is very important. I do core exercises almost every day. Good form is also very important, that’s why ppl look in the mirror while exercising to watch their form.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise