Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Getting rid of my jello-belly--which should I join?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:17 pm
I want to rid myself of hanging belly muscles from 2 pregnancies. I need EXERCISE. I HATE exercise when doing it alone. I have two options: curves or swimming.

curves:

I tried once for a month and found I enjoyed it more than a regular gym. I like the schedule of three times a week, and like not having to deal with serious weights. it's also a more friendly setup than the kosher gym, which I have also tried and hated.

it's near me and isn't so time consuming. however, I would have to have a regular babysitter, and it's more expensive than...

the pool:

I just got one of those swim-outfits that is tznius. my husband can't understand why I hate swimming. (two words: bathing suit) and so he practically begged me to get one of these just so I should feel comfortable swimming without being self-conscious. I just went swimming for the first time in years, and I really enjoyed it. I also felt some muscles afterwards that I forgot I had. there is a pool in a jewish center near me, and some family members use it regularly and really like it.

so...

which is your recommendation?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 8:08 pm
Try the pool first since it's cheaper and see what it does to your belly and how it works out.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 8:20 pm
Take one class with a private trainer that can teach you effective sit-up and crunch kinda things.. the one (or two) classes cost money, but after that you can train often at home for free.. you just need someone to teach you good ones and make sure you are not damaging your back.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 9:22 pm
the problem with home exercise is I WON'T DO IT. EVER. which is why I have to join something away from home. so these are my options: curves or pool. I should also mention that I would get a year's membership to whichever I choose.

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 9:32 pm
do you still have to get a babysitter if you go to the pool?

you know what I'm going to say, LOL join curves!
But seriously-curves is pretty costly- is that an issue?
Also-if you do sign up-they say to aim 3x a week. You can go on a sunday, and your husband can watch (if he doesn't work on sunday). If you want-since I'm a member at the curves near you- I wouldn't mind switching on-and-off with you babysitting so that we both can go (dh hates when I run out on him when he comes home). either once a week or twice a week.your call. we could experiment and if it doesn't work out-fine, but we can give it a try if you want.

just something to think about...

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 9:39 pm
happy2,

I knew you would say that, and I was going to join curves (which you knew) but I enjoyed swimming so much the other day...

my husband has actually suggested that I do both. typical of him. I'd do that if I had a full-time babysitter. as is, my hubby can watch the kids sunday and my mom comes once a week, so I figured twice week I can do. I feel lost when I think of finding a babysitter, I seem to have run out of possibilities.

as for babysitting switch-off with you, I would do it occassionally, but I don't know if I can handle all four kids at once on a regular basis. so...

maybe I should go on an ice cream diet....

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 2:27 am
I would recommend swimming. Personally, I don't really enjoy swimming, but it is a tremendous workout if you are really swimming!!! It works your whole body,d efinitely your stomach muscles...how else will you float?..it is something you can do when you are pregnant very easily. It works every muscle and works on balance and strength too, and a great aerobic exercise. But oftentimes people get very hungry from swimming so make sure you have planned a healthy snack for after exercise.

The best exercise is one you enjoy and will stick with. It sounds like the swimming has so many pros. If the benefit of Curves was that 3 times was built in, then build in your schedule three times a week swimming.

Swimming is not hard on the joints so you won't have to take breaks because your joints got hurt. You won't have to break when you're pregnant...not that you ncessarily have to for Curves, but they say swimming is very good to do when pregnancy because it's not hard on the joints, etc. Swimming is just the all around excellent exercise...(that and walking, specially with a stroller :-))

Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise