Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is vacation as exciting as it sounds?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:19 am
I’ve taken a few vacations in my over 2 decades of marriage and looking back I remember lots of exhaustion, feeling yucky from eating the wrong food, feeling lightheaded from not enough sleep, feeling like is this what we shelled out so much money for?... of course we have nice memories and beautiful pictures from the sightseeing too. But I wonder if I’m the only one who feels vacation is overrated? Maybe I went to the wrong places?

Highstrung

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:24 am
It depends on what type of vacation it was . If all you did was go go go non stop, then it’s not relaxing .
Also if you go with kids , I don’t consider that vacation.
But if you go with DH or alone and do things together and relax together and you completely disconnect , it really does relax your mind.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:27 am
If I go with DH alone and just relax, then yes, it's so so exciting!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:29 am
When/if we go, we do it for the kids and not for us. Yes, the kids are excited.
We're going now for one night to a city less than an hour away and my kids are super excited just for the change of scenery. They seriously need just a change of clothing but insisted on using suitcases.
They get noodle soups for supper and that's also really exciting.

Just the fact that we're going somewhere and doing something as a family means a lot to them.

It's not for us as parents to relax.
(Maybe a couple vacation would do that, I wouldn't know 😂 )

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:30 am
These are pointers I have learned over the years which do help with making it more relaxing

1) Plan well in advance, but

2) Don't be afraid to change your plans once you're there

3) Don't overfill your days

4) Pack as light as you can

5) Most important, leave recovery time for after you return!!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:30 am
We are going away next week. I don't even consider it vacation.

It's family time, it's to build memories, its to get away from the city etc. But it is definitely not vacation or relaxing time! It takes so much work, effort, organization and planning to go away with kids.

Vacation is when I have a day off from work when the kids have school. And I get to sleep late and eat breakfast without sharing with anyone and go to the bathroom without anyone tailgating me lol

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:32 am
I go on relaxing vacations with my husband, no kids. I absolutely love not having responsibilities on my head more than anything. I can go to the pool or ocean or take a trip just taking my sunglasses and water bottle (no phone even my husband has his for energencies) I'm never that free when I'm not on vacation.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
When/if we go, we do it for the kids and not for us. Yes, the kids are excited.
We're going now for one night to a city less than an hour away and my kids are super excited just for the change of scenery. They seriously need just a change of clothing but insisted on using suitcases.
They get noodle soups for supper and that's also really exciting.

Just the fact that we're going somewhere and doing something as a family means a lot to them.

It's not for us as parents to relax.
(Maybe a couple vacation would do that, I wouldn't know 😂 )

We just came back from doing this last night. I’m drained . My feet are sore . But the kids loved it and I loved that they were loving it. I got to disconnect and have a mental health day from work as well. But it’s not what I even call vacation. It’s vacation for the kids. For me, I call it a family trip. My DH who is very overworked did find it to be beneficial to him to be able to fully disconnect (even though he was busy with work phone calls throughout the trip) .

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:36 am
When you are empty nesters you’ll appreciate it
I enjoy the 3 days spent 1.5hrs away from home better than the 2 weeks a plane ride away.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:40 am
I’ll be the odd one out here and say that, at least I’m my mind, vacation definitely includes kids. When planned right, it can be relaxing and enjoyable. We take a road trip almost every summer, and it is certainly a vacation. We are getting out of NY, which in and of itself changes the atmosphere. We don’t pack our days, and we have plenty of chill time in the evening. We watch movies together at night, or we play games. We spend time together, which we don’t really get to do as a family at home. We do activities during the day which we also don’t get to do at home.
There are also husband/wife vacations, but honestly I consider those more a getaway and a recharge than a vacation. That’s why my husband and I go away together, without kids. (Although right now we take the baby.)

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:45 am
The vacations I enjoy the most are the ones I go on alone or with certain friends or relatives.

Vacations with Dh are the worst. We don’t vacation the same way.
With the kids could be fun , but a lot of work. Not relaxing at all.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:45 am
Family trip with the kids is not a vacation. When I’m not with the kids I go to exotic places that make me feel alive.
Maybe you’re not taking your own needs and preferences into account. Plan better next time. If relaxing, sleeping, and eating gourmet meals is what calls to you then do that.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:46 am
Exciting may be the wrong word.

I love travel, with and without kids. I think a change of scenery and quality time together is valuable and we make it a priority (in terms of $) and try to do it as often as we can.

That said, yes it often takes a lot of planning and forethought and packing takes time and energy.

But it’s also possible that you have a more ‘sensitive’ body composition in terms of food and sleep, or that you’re more of a homebody than I am. Or yes maybe you went to the ‘wrong’ place: not all destinations are created equal and what’s enjoyable for one family may. It be enjoyed by another

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:47 am
It’s not relaxing but I find it gives me energy for the next few months. I plan well and for a while so that it goes as smooth as possible. There are always hiccups but we try to turn them into funny memories. It’s so nice to have no heavy life burdens and just bond with the kids. And a change of scenery really does a lot for me.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:47 am
For some people who just need routine, their sleep, and the same food they always eat - No, it's not good.
For others who can sleep anywhere, eat anything then yes it can be really nice.

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 10:56 am
I'm from camp way overrated.

Planning is stressful. Packing is stressful. Making arrangements for kids is stressful. Flying, driving, checking in and out of hotels, all stressful. I don't always sleep well in beds that aren't mine. I get headaches from the sun, I don't enjoy cold, cant stand sand and smell of beaches. Attractions are overrated and "touristy". I usually enjoy the food part but not enough to make me want to go. Coming back, unpacking, getting back into routine, super exhausting. All in all not worth it one bit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 11:02 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
For some people who just need routine, their sleep, and the same food they always eat - No, it's not good.
For others who can sleep anywhere, eat anything then yes it can be really nice.

This. I guess that’s why it’s not exciting for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics