Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ds 5 is too tired too early in the day?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 7:46 pm
By 4-5 pm he’s already having meltdowns, kicking and throwing things when he doesn’t get his way. I can tell that he’s really tired but I’m not going to let him go to sleep that early. He goes to sleep at 7 and is out in seconds and usually wakes up 6:30. Does anyone have any ideas how to get us through the day till bedtime? I’m so drained from fighting with him every minute till he falls asleep. He literally can’t control himself when he’s tired.

Also I’m curious as to why he’s impossible when he’s bored AND tired but can be ok being tired but not bored. Any insight on that?

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 7:58 pm
My 5yo is like this, turned out he was anemic

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 8:02 pm
hodeez wrote:
My 5yo is like this, turned out he was anemic
your doctor tested him? And how did you treat it? Did you see a difference? Tell me more.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 8:02 pm
Sounds like he's getting dysregulated, I'd try to keep his blood sugar balanced, add electrolytes to his water and also a methylated b complex earlier in the day and see if helps.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:31 pm
If he’s home early enough in the afternoon you can try to see if he’ll take a nap around 2:00 or 2:30. It’s not out of the realm for a five year old to still need a nap.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Navy wrote:
If he’s home early enough in the afternoon you can try to see if he’ll take a nap around 2:00 or 2:30. It’s not out of the realm for a five year old to still need a nap.
he gets home closer to 4. I wouldn’t nap him then.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:36 pm
You can try putting him to sleep 6:30

samantha1

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:38 pm
U can put him to bed by 6, no need to wait until 7. At tht age I think it’s normal to b cranky after camp/school. He prob needs to also eat and drink as soon as he gets home

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:39 pm
samantha1 wrote:
U can put him to bed by 6, no need to wait until 7. At tht age I think it’s normal to b cranky after camp/school. He prob needs to also eat and drink as soon as he gets home
he wouldn’t be willing to go to sleep so early, he needs time from when he gets home till he’s going to sleep. 2 hours would feel like nothing. And I can’t have him waking up an hour earlier. I do give him a drink and snack as soon as he gets home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers