Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthy but delicious falafel balls

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 4:22 pm
recipe from uncooked chickpeas please - anyone?

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 4:26 pm
Do you believe dried beans are healthier than chick peas?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 4:27 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Do you believe dried beans are healthier than chick peas?

changed it.

I mean chickpeas but not the canned ones.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 5:20 pm
I do the tori Avey falafel balls

https://toriavey.com/falafel/

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 5:24 pm
I do this one. Amazing every time!

1 pound (about 2 cups) dry chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, tightly packed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, tightly packed
5 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
oil, for frying

1. Place chickpeas in large bowl and cover with plenty of water. Let the chickpeas soak overnight, or for at least 12 hours. They will double in size as they soak. Once soaked, rinse and drain well in colander.

2. Place onion, herbs and garlic in bowl of a food processor fitted with the knife blade. pulse a few times until mixture starts coming together. Add the drained chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients. Pulse together until a rough, coarse texture forms. Scrape the sides of the food processor down from time to time. Be careful not to over-process the mixture; you are looking to achieve a consistency that's somewhere between a paste and a fine crumb. Once it holds together enough to form a ball, stop.

3. Place mixture inside a bowl and run your hand through it, feeling for any larger pieces that the food processor might have missed, and mash them. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

4. Place about 2 inches of oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat (the ideal temperature is 300 F to 325 F) Before frying a batch of falafel balls, you want to test one. If the oil is at the right temperature it will take 2-3 minutes per side to brown. If it browns faster than that means your oil is too hot and your falafel balls won't be fully cooked in the center. Also, if your falafel ball falls apart in the oil, add some flour to the batter and make sure it is ground finely enough.

5. Once you tested and achieved the right oil temperature, roll falafel mixture into balls and fry until golden, a total of 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately with some techina or inside a pita with israeli salad, chatzilim, sauerkraut and pickles..even fries if you like.

Enjoy

Yield Approximately 35 falafel balls

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 5:42 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

1 small onion chopped
5 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons cumin
oil, for frying

1. Place chickpeas in large bowl and cover with plenty of water. Let the chickpeas soak overnight, or for at least 12 hours. They will double in size as they soak. Once soaked, rinse and drain well in colander.

2. Place onion, herbs and garlic in bowl of a food processor fitted with the knife blade. pulse a few times until mixture starts coming together. Add the drained chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients. Pulse together until a rough, coarse texture forms. Scrape the sides of the food processor down from time to time. Be careful not to over-process the mixture; you are looking to achieve a consistency that's somewhere between a paste and a fine crumb. Once it holds together enough to form a ball, stop.

3. Place mixture inside a bowl and run your hand through it, feeling for any larger pieces that the food processor might have missed, and mash them. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

4. Place about 2 inches of oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat (the ideal temperature is 300 F to 325 F) Before frying a batch of falafel balls, you want to test one. If the oil is at the right temperature it will take 2-3 minutes per side to brown. If it browns faster than that means your oil is too hot and your falafel balls won't be fully cooked in the center. Also, if your falafel ball falls apart in the oil, add some flour to the batter and make sure it is ground finely enough.

5. Once you tested and achieved the right oil temperature, roll falafel mixture into balls and fry until golden, a total of 5-6 minutes. Serve immediately with some techina or inside a pita with israeli salad, chatzilim, sauerkraut and pickles..even fries if you like.

Enjoy

thanks so much!

can you bake them?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 5:43 pm
octopus wrote:
I do the tori Avey falafel balls

https://toriavey.com/falafel/

thanks! looks good!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 5:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks so much!

can you bake them?

Probably. Never did it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 5:51 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

1 small onion chopped
5 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons cumin
oil, for frying

Enjoy

can I halve the recipe?

does parsley and cilantro need to be checked?

I have never bought it before and even know what it looks like.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
can I halve the recipe?

You probably can half it. I always double it.lol and keep them in the freezer. I buy checked parsley and cilantro.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
can I halve the recipe?

Yes they're incredibly buggy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:16 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
You probably can half it. I always double it.lol and keep them in the freezer. I buy checked parsley and cilantro.

are those the cubes frozen?

English3

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:17 pm
You can buy frozen cubes that dont need to be checked and is the same as fresh.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:18 pm
English3 wrote:
You can buy frozen cubes that dont need to be checked and is the same as fresh.

can you buy the fresh with a hechsher or only the frozen ones come with hechsher?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:31 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:

which brand do you buy?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:39 pm
I buy fresh parsley and fresh cilantro that is checked. I don't use the frozen cubes for this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 4:41 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I buy fresh parsley and fresh cilantro that is checked. I don't use the frozen cubes for this.

dont think you can get it in the uk.

whats the brand?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 4:23 pm
I found checked fresh parsley but not cilantro. anyone know where I can find it?

mom4many

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 6:16 pm
I have a similar recipe & definitely bake the balls - spray or brush oil on them before baking.
If you can’t get fresh herbs, you can use dry. The balls will come out great, but the flavor of the fresh herbs is definitely a plus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics