Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Boiling water to be used in formula?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:42 am
Is it true that this is standard practice? When I had my kids 20+ years ago we could use water straight from the tap. When did this "rule" come into effect?

scruffy

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:43 am
I'm not sure, but regardless this is only for babies under 3 months.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:19 am
Nope never did this. We used room temp tap water

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:32 am
I always used boiled water. What Iā€™d do was fill up sterilized bottles with boiled water and then put them in the fridge. This way Iā€™d only have to add a little bit of boiling water each time and it was the perfect temperature for the baby. No waiting around for a boiling bottle to cool down!

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:34 am
There are different recommendations in different countries.
In the UK the recommendation is boiled water.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:34 am
I formula feed and I never did this. I use filtered tap water.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:36 am
Yep. Boiled and cooled or bottled water.
USA.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:42 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Yep. Boiled and cooled or bottled water.
USA.

Until what age?

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:13 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Until what age?

Until they start eating solids. That's what I always did (UK ima)

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:30 am
My baby is 9 months old and I still use boiled water only, not sure why since he crawls around and eats from the floor šŸ˜‚

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:29 pm
I read that you should use distilled water for formula because it has no minerals in it.
So that's what I use. I buy it in target. It's about $1 for a gallon.
I got my baby used to room temperature from birth. Makes feeding a breeze.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:25 pm
I use only boiled or bottled water. No one in our household drinks tap water at all.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:18 pm
Depends where you live and the state of your water supply. If you get water from a well, boiling is recommended. If you're traveling on s foreign country, boiling is recommended. If you live in NYC, tap water is just fine.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 1:59 am
amother cornflower wrote:
I use only boiled or bottled water. No one in our household drinks tap water at all.

Bottled water is not recommended because it has added minerals.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 2:02 am
zaq wrote:
Depends where you live and the state of your water supply. If you get water from a well, boiling is recommended. If you're traveling on s foreign country, boiling is recommended. If you live in NYC, tap water is just fine.

The reason for the boiling water recommendation is because the formula powder is not sterile, there are some dangerous bacteria that can very rarely contaminate the powder so the best is to use water above 70 degrees Celsius to kill that bacteria,
Tap water would generally be safe otherwise, there is more likely to be contaminated formula powder than tap water.
But I know the recommendation is different in different countries.

GLUE

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 4:14 am
amother Maple wrote:
My baby is 9 months old and I still use boiled water only, not sure why since he crawls around and eats from the floor šŸ˜‚

I was told that you boil your kids water until they start eating your shoes.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
The reason for the boiling water recommendation is because the formula powder is not sterile, there are some dangerous bacteria that can very rarely contaminate the powder so the best is to use water above 70 degrees Celsius to kill that bacteria,
Tap water would generally be safe otherwise, there is more likely to be contaminated formula powder than tap water.
But I know the recommendation is different in different countries.

Even the people I know that use boiled water usually boil a big batch and let it cool off before mixing with formula. So how would that help with potential bacteria in the powder?
I don't know anyone that actually makes a bottle with boiling hot water.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 1:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it true that this is standard practice? When I had my kids 20+ years ago we could use water straight from the tap. When did this "rule" come into effect?

I use a combination of hot and cold water. The hot is instant hot (or from an urn on shabbos) and the cold is filtered.

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 11:45 am
I was never told to boil water. My child that had bottles had them with tap water. She was exclusively bottle fed. She is 15 and all if fine.
I work in a day care center and now we are told to boil the water until they are one. I am in Israel.

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 11:47 am
I was never told to boil water. My child that had bottles had them with tap water. She was exclusively bottle fed. She is 15 and all if fine.
I work in a day care center and now we are told to boil the water until they are one. I am in Israel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding