Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Its gona be a bad year?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:34 am
Theres no shofar this year.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:37 am
Second day there is!

Also, my husband loves this little story: the Biala Rebbe was once asked what happens when RH is on Shabbos and there is no shofar? Where does the rachamim come from? And the Biala Rebbe said the rachamim comes from the kugel we eat!

How that works, I have no idea. But I love it!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:37 am
What about Sunday? Wouldn’t they blow the shofar then?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:

Huh???
First of all, yes there is
Second day
Second of all, if shofar was more important than shabbos then we would blow it on shabbos.
It seems like you think Hashem is out to get you based on what we do on rh. I’d recommend learning to reframe your relationship with Hashem from fear to love and expansion

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:42 am
Years that begin on Shabbos are an entire year of shabbos, in that we're provided an extra opportunity to step back at times and have the Menucha of shabbos.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:45 am
Thisisnotmyreal I love this. It’s truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing 😊

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:48 am
My son came home telling me his rebbe said everyone's going to be written in sefer shel tzadikim because hashem is not allowed to write on shabbos except if it's to save a life. So He will only be writing in the book of life.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:50 am
Garnet that’s so amazing also to hear. I’m
Just waiting to see what the new year is going to bring. I just hope Moshiach comes already.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:51 am
amother Garnet wrote:
My son came home telling me his rebbe said everyone's going to be written in sefer shel tzadikim because hashem is not allowed to write on shabbos except if it's to save a life. So He will only be writing in the book of life.

I LOVE this idea. AMEN!!

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 11:58 am
amother OP wrote:

This is not how Rosh Hashana or shofar works. It's not as if Hashem is waiting to give us all a bad year and then he changes his mind once he hears our tekias shofar.

agreer

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:01 pm
R"H has been on Shabbos a lot in the past 10 years.

My Rav always gives a speech about it. IF there's no shofar on the first day of R"H, it's a bad sign, EXCEPT if the reason there's no shofar is b/c it's Shabbos. Then that's even better than blowing on the first day, because Shabbos is also a way of showing Hashem's sovereignty over the world.

I love Garnet's message. That was beautiful! Amen, kain yehi ratzon.

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Garnet wrote:

This is so beautiful but you have to be very careful with how the children understand this. I don’t know how old your son is. Hopefully the children understand the concept of sefer hachayim referring to eternal life with tzaddikim and tzidkaniyos in the highest place near the Shechina. It can happen that in the coming year the child hears of a great grandparent, their own or their friend’s, who passed away. You don’t want them to question the rebbe.

Op, I don’t understand your question. Our relationship with Hashem is one of love, it’s not transactional. It’s not a relationship of I’ll do this and you’ll return the favor by doing that for me. Either way we often miss one day of shofar due to Shabbos, it happens every few years. The bottom line is we’re listening to the words of our chachamim and keeping Shabbos which is a huge zchus for all of us. Don’t worry. Rosh Hashanah is two days everywhere so we’re all going to hear shofar on Sunday.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:10 pm
Just heard a shiur on this.
When RH is on Shabbos, Shabbos is our witness and stands up to defend us. However, this works best when we keep Shabbos the right way, that’s when Shabbos can best advocate for us. That’s why it’s so important especially this year to work on appreciating shabbos and keeping it the right way!

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:24 pm
amother White wrote:
This is so beautiful but you have to be very careful with how the children understand this. I don’t know how old your son is. Hopefully the children understand the concept of sefer hachayim referring to eternal life with tzaddikim and tzidkaniyos in the highest place near the Shechina. It can happen that in the coming year the child hears of a great grandparent, their own or their friend’s, who passed away. You don’t want them to question the rebbe.

Op, I don’t understand your question. Our relationship with Hashem is one of love, it’s not transactional. It’s not a relationship of I’ll do this and you’ll return the favor by doing that for me. Either way we often miss one day of shofar due to Shabbos, it happens every few years. The bottom line is we’re listening to the words of our chachamim and keeping Shabbos which is a huge zchus for all of us. Don’t worry. Rosh Hashanah is two days everywhere so we’re all going to hear shofar on Sunday.
Yes, he did take it very literally and I wasn't thrilled. But at least it was a positive message and made him feel secure and happy rather than a fire and brimstone message. He did ask me how it could be that people will still die.

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:37 pm
I heard this idea the other night and connected to "wasn't it the same like Covid year"--and while Covid was horrible for many people, it also helped expose the levels of corruption unlike any other natural force could have.

I heard in a shiur that the purpose of Covid was to be "mamlich Hashem" and to recognize His greatness in this world. So the year of Corona R"H started on Shabbos, but a lot of good is coming out because we are better able to see that Hashem controls everything from diseases, to prices, to governments, and we have no one else to rely on but Him.

NechaMom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 12:52 pm
No. It’s going to be an awesome year. And there is shofar.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:49 pm
The question is not coming from nowhere.

There is no shofar on the first day of R"H, which is when we need it most. (The second day is derabanan. Not to be taken lightly, but still not deoraisa.)

The shofar protects us.

BUT - and here's why we don't have to think it's going to be a bad year - SHABBOS protects us as well (or maybe more, but I can't be the one to say that).

כי אשמרה שבת ק-ל ישמרני

relaxation

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
nope to the contrary I heard that if we don't blow it means that shabbos takes care of what the shofar does and shofar is not needed to do it...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:43 pm
This premise is a misunderstanding of the gemara where Tosfos says it does not apply to Shabbos!

The shofar is the sound of the neshama, and we already have an extra one on Shabbos, we don't need the shofar then!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Garnet wrote:

And on yom tov you can write?
Here's what I recently heard, and learned previously: The reason we don't blow is because someone might just happen to carry the shofar in a reshus harabbim. Minute possibility, and yet we have such care for another yid that we don't want him to be nichshal so better that we don't blow.

What a great zechus!

And let's not forget the incredible power of Shabbos. Let's all tap into the connection. Shabbos is a day that we have every week that's a paradigm of returning to purity. Isn't it grand that RH falls on Shabbos?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur