Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Tile or wood floor in living dining room?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:48 pm
We are redoing the floors on our entire main floor. I am in my upper thirties and have 5 kids aged 1-10. I am debating doing the entire main floor a big white square tile with a slight gray pattern or just doing kitchen / family room / study the tile and put a hard wood in the living dining room.

I personally like hardwood better and it’s a timeless look which is great. I have little kids and am worried if not on top of them they will ruin the wood and also as far as cleaning it’s a lot easier to just make one bucket and mop the entire floor.

Any advice or opinions?! Thanks.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:52 pm
I would do wood because of babies

sarahph1

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:54 pm
wooood!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:55 pm
Wood for sure!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:56 pm
Pros of tiles is that it's easy to clean and it's long lasting. The downside is that if anything falls off the table, or if children fall, it's a very hard surface.
But the wood is likely to get ruined with little kids. It will get scratched and it's much more delicate than the tile would be.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:56 pm
Wood. Tiles get so much more dirty.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:58 pm
I love the look of wood, but tile is so much easier to clean and maintain. I hate that I need to worry about every little scratch with wood. If I could pick, I'd choose tile over wood.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:01 pm
I would go tile!!

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:02 pm
I have knee issues. wood is much more forgiving on the knees.

jflower

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:04 pm
OP, I noticed that you're thinking of going with a white tile. Is that a practical choice? I once installed a very light tile in my kitchen and it was very difficult to keep clean. Just saying.

Hatzlocha in whatever you decide!

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:31 pm
We have tile & I don't regret it. I don't want the maintenance of wood. We do have radiant heating though.

hodeez

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:33 pm
My lr is wood and dining and kitchen tile. I like how it splits up the space and also looks nice togethwr

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:36 pm
I have tile in the kitchen/family and wood in the dining/living.

The wood has a really really strong laquer (bought ready done) and has held up real well. The tile shows up dirt constantly, (is too light with v little movement) is very unforgiving. Two have hairline cracks. I get tired cooking on it if I don't wear something on my feet like shoes/crocs/slippers.

Though houses with tile all over do look v modern!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:38 pm
I have young kids. They play in the playroom. My wood floor is seven years old and looks brand new. I don’t like tile as much- if a kid falls it hurts much more and it can be slippery and it gets more noticeable when dirty

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:27 pm
Wood throughout. I love the look and its size much easier on my back. Have it for 7 years. It's scratched but not terrible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics