Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Do you weigh your doughs and strands?
1  2  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:00 pm
If yes why?
Is it not enough to eyeball them?

It must be so time consuming, and I can’t imagine it being that much better…

mommish613

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:05 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
If yes why?
Is it not enough to eyeball them?

It must be so time consuming, and I can’t imagine it being that much better…

Yes. It make for a more uniform looking challah. If you’re good at eyeballing then stick to what you’re doing but my challahs always used to come out deformed until I started doing it.

Once you get the hang of it it goes fast and not time consuming at all

Olive

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:06 pm
No

Grateful2bhere

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:22 pm
Not strands, but each challahs "ball" & then make into strands from there.

I make more smaller instead of just a few big, so it simplifies baking knowing the several in the oven at a time will be ready at same time. It doesn't add on much extra time & I'm obsessed with time-savers in the kitchen.

cbsp

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:10 pm
Yes I weigh out each strand right after being mafrish. That's when I cheshbon how many challos I'll be making (and what size), how many bilkes, etc.

However if I'm pressed for time I'll make a challah with less strands or roll out 3 strands and divide the rolled out strands so they're somewhat even.

iammom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:14 pm
Yes, I measure each ball before rolling out. When I first saw someone doing it, I thought they were nuts but once I started doing it, I see the advantages and I won’t go back.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:15 pm
Wow!
I don’t even measure my ingredients!

This is how I braid my challah. file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/66/06/21D1BB79-03D5-4755-A8D4-A5E0ABA20B49/VIDEO-2023-06-29-12-13-46.mp4

silverlining3

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:28 pm
Yes. I weigh the dough and strands. It's how I got used to doing it. For me it's just part of the process and don't mind it at all.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:30 pm
I don’t weigh each strand but I weigh each ball before I divide it into strands
I won’t want to be stuck with different sized challa. I like dependability.

Pink Flamingo

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:38 pm
Yes I'm weigh them. It's not that time consuming and comes out so much neater

But I'm also the type who weighs 8 oz pasta when I'm using half a box lol

lucky14

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:57 pm
I don’t but I have before and it really does make a difference.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:58 pm
So you weight the total then divide by the amount of challahs you wanna make and then strands? Or you have a standard strand size that you weigh out and continue until it’s all used up?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:02 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
So you weight the total then divide by the amount of challahs you wanna make and then strands? Or you have a standard strand size that you weigh out and continue until it’s all used
up?

I divide the dough into 6. Then I weigh each ball and resize accordingly just to make sure they’re the Same size range

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:10 am
doodlesmom wrote:
So you weight the total then divide by the amount of challahs you wanna make and then strands? Or you have a standard strand size that you weigh out and continue until it’s all used up?

I decide how much I want the challah to weigh in total (say 600g for an 11" challah pan) and decide how many strands I want, then weigh out the dough for the strands (so 6 100g balls for a 6 braid, 5 120g balls for a 5 braid, etc). I'll divide the entire dough that way, making sure I keep the dough for each challah grouped together. When I get to the end of the dough I usually make (similarly weighted) bilkes out of the last of the dough

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:17 am
cbsp wrote:
I decide how much I want the challah to weigh in total (say 600g for an 11" challah pan) and decide how many strands I want, then weigh out the dough for the strands (so 6 100g balls for a 6 braid, 5 120g balls for a 5 braid, etc). I'll divide the entire dough that way, making sure I keep the dough for each challah grouped together. When I get to the end of the dough I usually make (similarly weighted) bilkes out of the last of the dough

Wow sounds too complicated for me!
I just divide my dough in 4, and make 4 challahs out of 6 lbs. if one challah is a drop bigger no one will know since it’s not together on the table lol! And if it is I don’t care…

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:43 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Wow sounds too complicated for me!
I just divide my dough in 4, and make 4 challahs out of 6 lbs. if one challah is a drop bigger no one will know since it’s not together on the table lol! And if it is I don’t care…

I was getting tired of having too little dough in one pan, not enough in the other. One wouldn't rise or bake properly and the other would burn...

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:45 am
I find it easier and quicker to weigh the strands. It takes a second and I know exactly how big each challah is.

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:49 am
Grateful2bhere wrote:
Not strands, but each challahs "ball" & then make into strands from there.

I make more smaller instead of just a few big, so it simplifies baking knowing the several in the oven at a time will be ready at same time. It doesn't add on much extra time & I'm obsessed with time-savers in the kitchen.

Same

ray family

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:44 am
Yes.

marvinkay

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:24 am
Can someone please share what they use to weigh the dough? Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads