Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fasting on YK and risk of premature labor
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:30 pm
I'll be 23 weeks on YK. My rav says to ask my doctor, my doctor is impossible to reach (I've called and messaged 4 times, they say they'll ask him and get back to me but they never do).

When I googled though I found link after link from reliable medical sources saying that fasting is never recommended during pregnancy, that even refraining from eating for just 13 hours can put you at greater risk of premature labor, and that weeks 22-27 are an especially risky time.

Why then is the standard that pregnant women do fast on YK? And what should I tell my rav? (He says to start shiurim if you're having regular contractions but at that point isn't it a little too late??)

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'll be 23 weeks on YK. My rav says to ask my doctor, my doctor is impossible to reach (I've called and messaged 4 times, they say they'll ask him and get back to me but they never do).

When I googled though I found link after link from reliable medical sources saying that fasting is never recommended during pregnancy, that even refraining from eating for just 13 hours can put you at greater risk of premature labor, and that weeks 22-27 are an especially risky time.

Why then is the standard that pregnant women do fast on YK? And what should I tell my rav? (He says to start shiurim if you're having regular contractions but at that point isn't it a little too late??)

I had the same issue and was terrified because my relative had a miscarriage on YK (nothing to do with fasting, though), my Dr wanted me to not fast, I asked my Rov and he said I must fast, and to stay in bed all day on YK and everything will be fine. And it was BH.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

I once fasted and then never again. Once you have cotractions, to start shiurim is insane! There are plenty of Rabbanim who pasken to drink shiurim. Others paken to fast.
Gmar Chatima Tova

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:45 pm
I have fasted on yk in every one of my many pregnancies (including while caring for a houseful of little ones) as did thousands upon thousands of women before you.
It is safe to fast if your pregnancy is going well and you are generally in good health. Premature labor could be mostly caused by dehydration when fasting, which can be averted if you prepare for the fast properly by uping your water intake the few days before the fast and eating well. I am sure imas here could give you plenty of advice how to prepare for the fast.
A gmar chasima tova!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:48 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
I have fasted on yk in every one of my many pregnancies (including while caring for a houseful of little ones) as did thousands upon thousands of women before you.
It is safe to fast if your pregnancy is going well and you are generally in good health. Premature labor could be mostly caused by dehydration when fasting, which can be averted if you prepare for the fast properly by uping your water intake the few days before the fast and eating well. I am sure imas here could give you plenty of advice how to prepare for the fast.
A gmar chasima tova!

BH! I'm happy you were fine.
Fasting increases the RISK of premature labor, which does not mean every woman will experience it.
But why are we risking a baby's life?

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:56 pm
drink water with electrolytes for at least 2 days before. smartwater, or similar. unless you're speciffically high risk, you'll be fine iy"H. contractions from dehydration is a warning sign, and will stop with rehydration.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
BH! I'm happy you were fine.
Fasting increases the RISK of premature labor, which does not mean every woman will experience it.
But why are we risking a baby's life?
because the medical guidance is always going to lean towards the side of overcaution, your typical non-Jewish person has no good reason to fast so of course they're going to say don't fast, it's bad for your baby. That doesn't mean that one time fasting is going to do any harm.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:04 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
drink water with electrolytes for at least 2 days before. smartwater, or similar. unless you're speciffically high risk, you'll be fine iy"H. contractions from dehydration is a warning sign, and will stop with rehydration.

If I am told to fast in the end, I will definitely hydrate well for 2-3 days before.
FYI smartwater is not an electrolyte drink. It contains less electrolytes than tap water does.

Mamushka

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
because the medical guidance is always going to lean towards the side of overcaution, your typical non-Jewish person has no good reason to fast so of course they're going to say don't fast, it's bad for your baby. That doesn't mean that one time fasting is going to do any harm.

I know plenty og G'd fearing religious docotrs, who will tell you to drink at least shiurim.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:19 pm
Mamushka wrote:
I know plenty og G'd fearing religious docotrs, who will tell you to drink at least shiurim.

And I know religious doctors who will say that it's not a problem at all to fast.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:19 pm
This is why many women do IV, myself included. But next time I ask I’ll tell the rav that so far most of the time more than one Frum person had to be mechallel YT on my behalf.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:31 pm
Finally got a call back from my doctor and he is not concerned about not eating but didn't want me to refrain from drinking. I asked about shiurim and he thought that would be fine.

Relayed this to my Rav and he said I still have to fast, no shiurim 🤷‍♀️ Not sure why he said to ask my doctor in the first place.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:32 pm
giftedmom wrote:
This is why many women do IV, myself included. But next time I ask I’ll tell the rav that so far most of the time more than one Frum person had to be mechallel YT on my behalf.

I don't live in a place where that is an option.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Finally got a call back from my doctor and he is not concerned about not eating but didn't want me to refrain from drinking. I asked about shiurim and he thought that would be fine.

Relayed this to my Rav and he said I still have to fast, no shiurim 🤷‍♀️ Not sure why he said to ask my doctor in the first place.

Op, I'm sorry.

A rav should never over rule a doctor.
Ever.
23 weeks is a very slippery slope.
If you start contracting, there may be no going back.

I'm not one to say to shop for a psak, but I would speak to a rav who respects medical suggestions, and doctors and take it from there.

I have been told to do shiurim every single time I was pregnant Yom Kippur.
By a Dr, and then backed up by a rav.
There's no second chances here.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:08 pm
I always fasted and was fine. When I asked a shailah I was told that if I start not feeling well I should drink water until I feel.better and then do shiurim. I am expecting again and planning on fasting. In a low risk pregnancy it Really should be fine. I personally don't find that drinking before a fast helps me but lots of ppl do. I'm expecting again now and plan on following my rav's psak.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:41 pm
I went through many fasts while in all stages of pregnancy and was fine each time bh. Drink lots of water from 3 days before the fast and eat normal food the day before. Hydration is key- lack of that causes preterm labor. Imo first trimester is more at risk than 23 weeks…. Tell hashem that you are doing it lshem mitzvah and he should protect you!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:58 pm
Interesting study/survey about physicians approaches to fasting...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30580227/

BTW I'm currently heading into my 9th month and will IYH be fasting.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't live in a place where that is an option.

There are non-Jewish companies that do this

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:25 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread, but I Baruch Hashem am pregnant with my first, in the third trimester and bh everything is going smoothly.

My dr. Is MO, and very familiar with Halacha, she told me to do shiurim in the afternoon and I was so confused!!!!! She said “no reason to risk preterm labor” and tbh it does sound like the more responsible thing to do, but how is doing shiurim SO uncommon if it’s the standard medical advice.

I’m asking a shaila but I would think that the Rabbanim would be scared to be machmir when it goes against medical advice. Like will they take responsibility if something Chas vshalom goes wrong? What am I going to say if something goes wrong and I knew there is a bidieved option?

Honestly don’t know why I’m the only one but I guess we’ll see what the Rav says.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:32 pm
My doctor said fasting if you’re not already at risk for pre-term labor should be fine.

I once had to fast 24 hours for a blood test while pregnant-recommend by the doctor, no drinking-and no one was concerned about that. Google will tell you everything is not healthy during pregnancy.

He also said shiurim is a lot if you really do it consistently
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur