Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Going to inlaws on a diet HELP

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:07 am
How can I do it? Not many healthy choices available and I hate feeling hungry. I'm not offering to bring something already cooked.
What can I eat there erev yt? Also looking for healthy options I can bring in my suitcase

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:10 am
How are you eating?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:11 am
Hard boiled eggs

It depends on ur style of eating. I'm on WW so I tend to have & would want to bring: ff or lf cottage cheese, raw veg to have plain or with hummus, fruit, wholesome dessert option if practical option or just a little dark chocolate & fruit, maybe a little dried fruit.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:11 am
No advice ! It's hard!! There's always fresh fruits and vegetables.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:12 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Hard boiled eggs

It depends on ur style of eating. I'm on WW so I tend to have & would want to bring: ff or lf cottage cheese, raw veg to have plain or with hummus, fruit, wholesome dessert option if practical option or just a little dark chocolate & fruit, maybe a little dried fruit.

I don't want any perishable because I don't want mil to see

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:14 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
How are you eating?

Would eat something during the day in my room type of thing in between or after meals

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:16 am
Whole grain crackers
Veggie chips
Fruit bars
Granola bars

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:17 am
I also hate social eating I feel all eyes on my plate. It's served from the kitchen help yourself so people see your plate when you come in with it

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 6:21 am
Most people aren't looking at each other's plates, but I do know what you mean OP as far as the feeling.

I find when I'm in situations beyond my control re: food, I try to focus on portion control, choosing the better foods and not taking the less desirable nutritionally foods. Also, I take very small portions of things I like but dont' really want to eat too much of....

And I decline dessert, only drink water (vs. caloric beverages). Sometimes I just take a bite of my kids' dessert or a super small slice of a slice, etc.

I also give myself permission to not clean my plate (by eating it all).

Lastly, I try to slow down my eating, chew everything well, taste everything more slowly than usual, etc. and listen to my satiety cues.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:08 am
Try to eat minimum amount of challah.By most of the meals there are usually proteins, some kind of vegetable or vegetable kugel- fill up on those. Have a few healthy bars, low-fat chips or crackers snacks in your room. Drink water. Eat fruit for dessert. Hatzlacha!

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:10 am
Is there a reason you are not able to bring some contributions to the meals that you can eat? IE bring enough for everyone.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:31 am
amother OP wrote:
I also hate social eating I feel all eyes on my plate. It's served from the kitchen help yourself so people see your plate when you come in with it
isn't that better than restaurant style with the plate prefilled in the kitchen and placed before you? Then the food is not only on your plate tempting you but everyone sees how much you're leaving over. Not only is it a bal tashchis problem but it's an opening for criticism. And rather insulting to your hostess.

Relax. People aren't looking at your plate nearly as much as you think.

Stupid question: why can't you be honest with your mil and tell her you're dieting?

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 7:43 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Most people aren't looking at each other's plates, but I do know what you mean OP as far as the feeling.

I find when I'm in situations beyond my control re: food, I try to focus on portion control, choosing the better foods and not taking the less desirable nutritionally foods. Also, I take very small portions of things I like but dont' really want to eat too much of....

And I decline dessert, only drink water (vs. caloric beverages). Sometimes I just take a bite of my kids' dessert or a super small slice of a slice, etc.

Lastly, I try to slow down my eating, chew everything well, taste everything more slowly than usual, etc. and listen to my satiety cues.

Most ppl.
When I'm on a diet at my in laws, mil makes a big deal.
"I'm worried XYZ didn't eat anything"
I explain I want to eat healthy.
"What's wrong with fried schnitzel? It's protein! The pasta has veggies in it! You have to eat!" Etc

Op, I do put stuff in the fridge, and I focus on hummus, cheese, veggies and fruits.
At the meal, I do eat salmon.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:00 am
I don’t know why you have to even say it’s a diet. Why can’t you just say that you’re eating healthier or just not say anything. I’m also confused why you’re not willing to bring anything. I wish that my married kids would bring something and share it and I’d be even happier if it was healthy. We try to eat pretty healthy. And I’m always happy to accommodate with any special request. I mean not if it’s super complicated thing is gonna take me hours but if they ask for a certain kind of me or to make sure that I have extra vegetables in the house.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:06 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:

While I agree most people don't look, I do believe a certain generation of mother in laws do look.

My mother always noted what people ate and left. My MIL does the same. My neighbor is the worst at this, she never puts out enough and always comments after to me how much each person took and left behind.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:07 am
amother Tomato wrote:
Most ppl.
When I'm on a diet at my in laws, mil makes a big deal.
"I'm worried XYZ didn't eat anything"
I explain I want to eat healthy.
"What's wrong with fried schnitzel? It's protein! The pasta has veggies in it! You have to eat!" Etc

Op, I do put stuff in the fridge, and I focus on hummus, cheese, veggies and fruits.
At the meal, I do eat salmon.

How does MIL know you're on a diet?

Take a small piece and eat or dont' eat. Or say you're full and it's all so good, blah blah blah, she takes such good care of you! blah blah blah

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:08 am
watergirl wrote:
While I agree most people don't look, I do believe a certain generation of mother in laws do look.

My mother always noted what people ate and left. My MIL does the same. My neighbor is the worst at this, she never puts out enough and always comments after to me how much each person took and left behind.

Argh. I'm sorry to hear this.

I guess we just shouldn't feed the troll, pun intended, on this meshugas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics