Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I almost died in childbirth, ama
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:55 am
The doctors came out to my husband and told him to take his leave, they couldn’t do anything anymore and I was hemorrhaging out. I was semi conscious/ heard him crying and screaming not to give up, he refused to listen to them and sign a do not resuscitate. Shortly later I went unconscious and woke up in the icu. All the doctors and nurses kept marveling over me , apparently I had the lowest hemoglobin they ever saw in a living patient . Multiple blood transfusions later and a long journey and I am B”h back to normal.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:57 am
Omg! Refuah shleima!
That’s crazy! B”h is all I can say. Wow
Sending hugs

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:59 am
Wow!! Sounds so scary 😨 😢
How long did it take you to recover?
What number baby was this?

I hemorrhaged after one birth as well, but nothing like your story.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:01 am
Was it painful?
Were you aware? in panic?
BH you're ok!

Highstrung

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:05 am
I’ve had hemorrhaging once I gave birth but it was under control pretty quickly once I was given shots and stuff . I remember that moment and I was terrified but what you describe is so much scarier and much worse . This sounds like such a traumatic experience for both you and DH.

How long did it take you to recover ?
Are you at risk now for having more kids?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:13 am
Busybee5 wrote:
Wow!! Sounds so scary 😨 😢
How long did it take you to recover?
What number baby was this?

I hemorrhaged after one birth as well, but nothing like your story.

This was my second child. I was taking blood thinners through out the pregnancy and would have stopped before labor except labor came on prematurely and very unexpectedly . I remember some parts of it, I remember them calling a code blue to OR 2 where I was and calling the whole team including the nicu teams. I heard them telling my husband they could put me on life support if he wanted to call my family to take leave. I tried to yell no that I am still alive but no one heard me. I heard the doctors as they were preparing to intubate me . The pain was excruciating and I felt like I was crying and going to die of pain . They didn’t have time for a epidural and thought I was unconscious until I started moving At which point they put something in the iv. They had multiple different iv lines in and started giving me blood transfusion.
. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then went in and out a couple times over the next couple months with other complications . It took me about 2-3 months till I was able to safely walk around and be left alone which was right around the time my child got out of the nicu. I had to do regular blood tests each week until my counts were back to normal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:15 am
Highstrung wrote:
I’ve had hemorrhaging once I gave birth but it was under control pretty quickly once I was given shots and stuff . I remember that moment and I was terrified but what you describe is so much scarier and much worse . This sounds like such a traumatic experience for both you and DH.

How long did it take you to recover ?
Are you at risk now for having more kids?

Physically a few months, emotionally a few years.
They told me to wait at least 3 years and then to have a consultation with hematologist and mfm if I want to consider having another child. My child is 5 and I am still petrified to go through this again. Also , now I can only have csections since they did a t cut (which makes things complicated since both pregnancies I went into labor naturally around 30 weeks and would require hospitalization starting at 28 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:19 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
Was it painful?
Were you aware? in panic?
BH you're ok!

Excruciating, they started the csection where they thought I was unconscious without an epidural and minimal pain relief, although they said it was only a few minutes it felt like hours. I was somewhat aware. I remember trying to talk and crying but no one hearing me . I tried to move away because I felt something cutting me but then they put something in for pain relief and I remember it getting better. I remember my husband’s screaming. I remember him arguing with the medical team not to give up, and then I went under and woke up a couple days later, my mother , mil, and husband were all there , I didn’t even remember what happened right away. But then my first question was is the baby ok. Everyone was just gaping at me , in shock that I was ok.

Dev80

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:20 am
Wow that is terrifying. How long were you unconscious for?
Glad to hear you are OK now. These are the stories we don't really hear!
Did friends/the community know what had happened to you? Are you open about it in real life?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:25 am
Dev80 wrote:
Wow that is terrifying. How long were you unconscious for?
Glad to hear you are OK now. These are the stories we don't really hear!
Did friends/the community know what had happened to you? Are you open about it in real life?

Almost 2 days, people were davening, everyone knew that my situation was bad but I don’t think they shared too many details, my older daughter was passed around from house to house till my mother came in and stayed a bit. My husband was not up to carring for an active toddler between running to me and the nicu. My husband slept near the hospital till I was out of danger. I am pretty open about it although it took a good few months to be able to share without getting emotional.My husband shared the story at my sons bris with several hundred people there (it was after 2.5 months) and I made birchas hagomel in front of a minyan (from behind the mechitza) .
I made my rav give me an indefinite heter for birth control before I went to the mikva, I was physically shaking and petrified of intimacy and getting pregnant again.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:26 am
Wow wow so scary I got chills I can’t imagine being aware of everything and being unable to get ppl to hear you.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:27 am
Did you see a light?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:32 am
Did you get therapy to deal with the trauma?
I've had hemorrhaging too at one birth. But after the birth and definitely not as traumatic.
I still have nightmares sometimes. Especially now that I'm pregnant again. I wake up sweating and shaking.
I'm thinking if I need to treat it like ptsd.

I'm glad you're ok and you are able to be a mother to your kids bh.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:37 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Did you see a light?

Not that I remember

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:40 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
Did you get therapy to deal with the trauma?
I've had hemorrhaging too at one birth. But after the birth and definitely not as traumatic.
I still have nightmares sometimes. Especially now that I'm pregnant again. I wake up sweating and shaking.
I'm thinking if I need to treat it like ptsd.

I'm glad you're ok and you are able to be a mother to your kids bh.

Yes I had a lot of therapy . Both to help me process and to not be petrified of going back into the hospital . I still get shaky when I walk into there.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:44 am
Oh my god this is the actual worst birth story I’ve ever heard by far. I hate that this happened to you! I’m so so sorry.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Almost 2 days, people were davening, everyone knew that my situation was bad but I don’t think they shared too many details, my older daughter was passed around from house to house till my mother came in and stayed a bit. My husband was not up to carring for an active toddler between running to me and the nicu. My husband slept near the hospital till I was out of danger. I am pretty open about it although it took a good few months to be able to share without getting emotional.My husband shared the story at my sons bris with several hundred people there (it was after 2.5 months) and I made birchas hagomel in front of a minyan (from behind the mechitza) .
I made my rav give me an indefinite heter for birth control before I went to the mikva, I was physically shaking and petrified of intimacy and getting pregnant again.

I'm tearing up over here. Sounds terrifying, and an amazing miracle at the same time.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:47 am
amother Snow wrote:
Oh my god this is the actual worst birth story I’ve ever heard by far. I hate that this happened to you! I’m so so sorry.

Yeah, it's making me wonder if I should really risk another if I should ever change my mind before I get too old. Soooo scary, and we take it for granted when things go right because we just assume they will, like the last time/s.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:49 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
Wow wow so scary I got chills I can’t imagine being aware of everything and being unable to get ppl to hear you.

Right this sounds really bad! Like locked in syndrome but way worse. Can't imagine Crying

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:02 pm
Have you taken any therapeutic measures to remove the traumatic effects of the past ? What do you find most helpfull ?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics