Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Were you able to eat in the sukkah the first night after all
1  2  Next

Were you able to eat in the sukkah on the first night?
Yes  
 87%  [ 208 ]
No  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 238

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:09 pm
??
If not, where do you live?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:11 pm
מה רבו מעשיך ה!!! How much does Hashem love us??? It poured and poured, and yet not only were we able to eat in the succah Friday night, but we were able to eat EVERY meal in the succah, and it was absolutely beautiful outside!!! It’s the first year in years that I wasn’t freezing and looking for reasons to go back inside.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:12 pm
We waited for the rain to get light and then make kiddush and hamotzi with some drops coming in and then ate the rest with the shlock covering it.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:14 pm
It was the miracle of sukkos. The weather was glorious, the sky was clear, it was just beautiful. I was eating out first night at a friend and as a joke I had txt her earlier, and said, see you later, and maybe there will be a sukkos miracle and we’l be able to eat in the sukkah. I didn’t think for a moment it would happen! As the men left to Shul we realized the rain had stopped. It was truly amazing.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:19 pm
We made kiddush and ate challah there. It was too drippy and and felt soggy so we ate the rest inside.

Today was glorious and we finally really enjoyed the sukkah

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:26 pm
We managed to have all 4 meals in the sukkah. We started off the first night's meal slightly rushed in case it rains but after half an hour when we saw it wasn't starting again the simcha was through the schach till the sky.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:28 pm
Yes, but we don't live in NY and didn't really get rain.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:29 pm
The biggest problem was with dripping schah. So we made the kiddush and homoitzy in the sukkah and then men stayed there and we went inside. Which was great because apparently some of our not frum male guests went to a fight about the war in Ukraine. On the other hand, if I were there I would nip it in the bud. I do not allow these conversations at my Yom Tov table.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:30 pm
Ate entire meal in sukkah.
Teaneck NJ

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:30 pm
Bh yes! It rained while the men were in shul so I was really nervous but bh it stopped when dh came home. We were able to eat all our meals in the sukkah bh

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:41 pm
nope. made kiddish and motzei in pouring rain. ate inside. staten island, NY

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
The biggest problem was with dripping schah. So we made the kiddush and homoitzy in the sukkah and then men stayed there and we went inside. Which was great because apparently some of our not frum male guests went to a fight about the war in Ukraine. On the other hand, if I were there I would nip it in the bud. I do not allow these conversations at my Yom Tov table.

We would have had that issue as well, but we just got a cover for the succah this year! The succah was covered the entire Thursday and Friday, and we opened it Friday night and we’re able to sit on a completely dry succah.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 8:52 pm
Nope. Was pouring. Also, my ADHD husband didnt have time to put the shach on. Part of what Im working on in marriage counseling and in therapy for myself is letting go of things that dont effect me. Its not my mitzvah to eat in the sukkah, stinks for him he didnt do it on time. He made kiddush in shul ate a kazayis benched then came home and we ate inside.

Hes now fixing the sukkah so it will be good for chol hamoed. Its ok, I think I would be more upset if this was a mitzvah that effected me. But I really worked on myself not to open my mouth and be PA to him

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:11 pm
See how much HaShem loves us. He made the rain stop just in time. He loves us so much. This just goes to show when we show HaShem how much we go out of our way for Him, He goes out of our way for us. It’s truly the best feeling in the world to be His daughter and being part of the best nation in the world.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:13 pm
Just curious, if it rained it would mean Hashem didn’t love you?

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:14 pm
Outer borough NYC. By ten the rain had mostly stopped. If I recall the whole mishna about rain being a bad siman on sukkos is only in Eretz yisroel (Since it typically doesn't rain there)

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Nope. Was pouring. Also, my ADHD husband didnt have time to put the shach on. Part of what Im working on in marriage counseling and in therapy for myself is letting go of things that dont effect me. Its not my mitzvah to eat in the sukkah, stinks for him he didnt do it on time. He made kiddush in shul ate a kazayis benched then came home and we ate inside.

Hes now fixing the sukkah so it will be good for chol hamoed. Its ok, I think I would be more upset if this was a mitzvah that effected me. But I really worked on myself not to open my mouth and be PA to him

You are an amazing person. It's great that you have this strength

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:24 pm
BH we had beautiful, warm weather both days! We enjoyed every minute in our sukka and I hosted all 4 meals Yes
Montreal

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:46 pm
No rain BH
Cleveland

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:47 pm
Gorgeous weather in Baltimore for the first 2 days of YomTov!

But our sukkah blew over the previous Shabbos when the the tropical storm came through. Some of the metal pipes forming the sukkah frame actually bent. Our neighbors helped us put it back together.

My husband David called it the "sukkah of David hanofeles." Smile

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics