Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
American driving in England
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:49 am
Can an American driver drive easily and safely in England? I'm traveling to England and would like to rent a car but I'm scared to do so due to having to drive on the other side than we do in the US...as well as other driving differences I'm sure there are as well.

Has any non-English driver successfully driven in London right out of the airport without taking time to get used to the roads in London?

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:54 am
Sounds like a disaster to me. All of your instinctive reactions will be backwards. To do that on unfamiliar roads and highways right after a flight sounds like a really really bad idea.

I'm sure people have done it. But it sounds very unwise.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:39 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
Sounds like a disaster to me. All of your instinctive reactions will be backwards. To do that on unfamiliar roads and highways right after a flight sounds like a really really bad idea.

I'm sure people have done it. But it sounds very unwise.

Agreed. It does sound like a stupid idea. But I need to get from the airport in London where I'm landing at night to the place I'm staying at and don't want to use public transportation at night (provided I can even get directly from the airport to the place I'm going to...) I opened a thread asking for female drivers in London, I hope I'll get some recommendations.

However, I would like to hear if it is doable and just seems intimidating but is not actually in real life. So if any non-English driver/s did drive in London straight off the plane I would appreciate hearing about it.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:43 am
If you are just going to be in London, why rent a car? Use the Tube.

To get from the airport without public transportation (not sure why), take a taxi.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 1:48 am
My husband does it.
You do need to be careful.
Will you be tired after landing?
Can you take a taxi?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:03 am
Not london, but my south african husband drives in Israel, the other side of the road for him. He's now been doing it for almost 2 decades, but in the beginning it was a little bit nerve wracking for me to sit in the car with him Smile but he learned very quickly how to drive on the other side. You have to be very careful. ANd remember which side to be on and which way to turn, different than america.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:14 am
It’s really difficult. As an American living in London it took me 6 months to get comfortable driving here. (The roads are much more narrow there are many roundabouts ect.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:21 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
My husband does it.
You do need to be careful.
Will you be tired after landing?
Can you take a taxi?

I never had an issue driving after long international flights even when I landed at night. I'm not sure I would find female taxi drivers outside of the airport and a male taxi driver would likely be yichud and even if it would not be yichud ( I could ask a shailah to confirm) I wouldn't feel safe with a male driver. Taking public transportation at night in a strange city also makes me uncomfortable.

I need female taxi drivers number/s but I don't have a clue where to get them. Maybe some Londoners can respond.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:23 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
It’s really difficult. As an American living in London it took me 6 months to get comfortable driving here. (The roads are much more narrow there are many roundabouts ect.)

Thanks for the response.

Is it safe to ise public transportation at night in London?

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:54 am
Is it doable? 100% yes.
Recommended in your situation? I don’t know.

Have you been to london before? Because if not, then it will be way more difficult. If you’ve driven in othe countries before and you’ve visited london and can adapt to situations pretty quickly, it shouldn’t be a huge issue. Take it slow and careful and you’ll be fine

bigbird

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:40 am
Most of the way from the airport you’d be on motorways where it’s impossible to end up on the wrong side of the road. It only gets tricky when you’re in suburban areas and can turn into the wrong lane. I’m a left side driver who has driven in the US and you do need to keep your wits about you but totally doable.

zoom

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:44 am
I dont know what area you are but there is a jewish female taxi driver Iv seen advertised.

Maybe pm me.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 4:20 am
Doing it the other way round, I grew up in England, and on summer holidays we would either take our car or hire cars on the Continent. Now family members hire cars in Israel when they come to visit.

It's very individual. Some relatives take time to adapt, while others have no problem mentally changing sides right away. I once read it was related to spacial awareness and mathematical skills, which seems accurate among my family members, but I don't know if that is widely applicable.

Try to familiarise yourself with the route in advance. When you're confused about where you're going, you don't have much brain space to remember to do it the other way round.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 4:30 am
In The Netherlands, we drive the same as in the US... I'm even scared to cross the streets here. DH drove both in the UK and the US he switches automatically I won't do it. And if you don't have little children indeen use the tube (not every station has a lift for your buggy and then u need to shlep it on the stairs horrible)

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Is it safe to ise public transportation at night in London?

Yes it is. But I take Ubers from the airport.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:24 am
Best tip I ever got, as an American in UK.....
The driver always needs to be in the middle of the road. IE: not curbside
In USA and UK.
If you get momentarily confused, just make sure you are in the middle

s c

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:24 am
I wouldn't attempt it for the first time after a long haul flight at night in the dark for the first time being completely unfamiliar with the UK. Our roads are very different to yours even without having never driven on the other side. I would take an uber and share my location or book a cab from emes car service.

piz1

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:41 am
I was in England recently and used a lady driver from the airport by the name of Nurit 07957 460448

Golde

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:36 am
I have tried to drive there and I found it very difficult (mind you it wasn't even straight out of the airport). I would never do it straight out of the airport, that would simply be too difficult for me. The airports are all really busy, you need to know what you're doing. However I'm not great with directions in general. Maybe it's easier for you? My DH can do it.
We regularly go to London and always take public transport. "Everyone" does. It's safe even at night, I wouldn't worry to do that.

s c

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:59 am
amother Azalea wrote:
Best tip I ever got, as an American in UK.....
The driver always needs to be in the middle of the road. IE: not curbside
In USA and UK.
If you get momentarily confused, just make sure you are in the middle

That only applies in narrow side roads. In regular more major roads we have normal lane structure which is important. You can't be straddling lanes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries