Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Appropriate way to aknowledge boss sitting shivah?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:38 pm
My boss is sitting shiva for a parent.
I work from home so main contact with him is via whatsapp and email (though I don't know if he'll be reading any of his work emails at the moment.)
Is it appropriate to send a message via whatsapp? And what to write?
Thanks!

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
My boss is sitting shiva for a parent.
I work from home so main contact with him is via whatsapp and email (though I don't know if he'll be reading any of his work emails at the moment.)
Is it appropriate to send a message via whatsapp? And what to write?
Thanks!

Can you call him on whatsapp?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:45 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Can you call him on whatsapp?

I don't think I need to call. Just to send a message to aknowledge. But not sure what to write...

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't think I need to call. Just to send a message to aknowledge. But not sure what to write...
So sorry to hear about your parents passing. May his/her neshama have an aliyah.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:51 pm
How is your boss sitting shiva on Chol haMoed? If the levaya was today, the shiva starts after Simchat Torah. If the levaya was before Sukkot, it would have been cut off by the beginning of Chag.

Anyway, you can't go wrong by saying (or sending) 'Sorry to hear about your loss. המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:56 pm
When my boss sat shiva I went to be Menachem Avel. I think a phone call is definitely in order, call me old fashioned if you want but I don’t think a text is appropriate!! (I’m 30 btw)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:00 pm
Elfrida wrote:
How is your boss sitting shiva on Chol haMoed? If the levaya was today, the shiva starts after Simchat Torah. If the levaya was before Sukkot, it would have been cut off by the beginning of Chag.

Anyway, you can't go wrong by saying (or sending) 'Sorry to hear about your loss. המקום ינחם אתכם בתוך שאר אבלי ציון וירושלים.

I guess you're right. I didn't know the exact details.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
When my boss sat shiva I went to be Menachem Avel. I think a phone call is definitely in order, call me old fashioned if you want but I don’t think a text is appropriate!! (I’m 30 btw)

I don't need to call, most of our correspondance is just by messaging. I highly doubt he will appreciate me calling in. But I need to aknowledge of course.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:07 pm
You can acknowledge it by sending a message like, "I'm sorry about your loss. May her/his neshama have an aliyah. המקום..."

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:38 pm
If your correspondence is only via messaging, then just message.

"I was sorry to hear about the loss of your XYZ.
Hamakom yenachem...
May we only know of simchos."

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:46 pm
Dear _____

I am saddened to hear of the recent loss of your _____

I would like to express my sincere condolences to you and your family.

Hamakom Yinachem Es’chem Bisoch Sha’ar Aveilei Tzion V’yerushalayim.

May your _____’s Neshama have an Aliyah and may s/he be a Meitiz Yosher for your entire family, and all of Klal Yisroel.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't need to call, most of our correspondance is just by messaging. I highly doubt he will appreciate me calling in. But I need to aknowledge of course.

You could make a donation. I think that's considerably better than a what's app message.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:51 pm
I agree with you OP. If your communication is always through messaging and email it’s totally appropriate to send condolences the same way. I think the posters saying you should call don’t understand the dynamic.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 2:06 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
You could make a donation. I think that's considerably better than a what's app message.

Thats what I would suggest, make a nominal donation to a cause that will send him an email message that a donation was made by you in memory of ______. You can say Hamakom till a month.
Always appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics