Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I’m Syrian AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:05 pm
Do SYs try to marry within the SY community or is marrying outside of SY totally and equally acceptable? What about marrying Ashkenazim, Bucharians or Teimanim?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:52 pm
amother Peach wrote:
There are 5 bite size foods I have seen syrians make/sell
Which ones are really syrians which are just "borrowed"
Kibbe
Lahmajin
Empinattas
Sesame chicken
Crispy chicken

Kibbe and lahmagine are for sure syrian items. Empanadas are Middle Eastern(not specifically syrian).
Both chickens aren’t syrian

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 8:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Kibbe, lahmagine and Sambusak are for sure syrian items. Empanadas are Middle Eastern(not specifically syrian).
Both chickens aren’t syrian

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:02 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Do SYs try to marry within the SY community or is marrying outside of SY totally and equally acceptable? What about marrying Ashkenazim, Bucharians or Teimanim?

We usually don’t run to marry out just because it’s hard to mesh cultures but it’s totally fine. I know two people who married chabad

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
We usually don’t run to marry out just because it’s hard to mesh cultures but it’s totally fine. I know two people who married chabad

Do most SYs marry within? How common is it to marry out? Are certain outside groups considered off-limits for marriage (in a social sense, unofficially); which?

If an outsider marries an SY, does the SY community consider that spouse to be part of their community? Is there a difference in this regard is it is the husband or if it is the wife?

Is it true that SYs often marry very young, starting from age 18? Have family sizes gotten smaller in the community over the last 35 years?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:11 pm
What are the religious demographics within the SY community? What percent are Chareidi/Ultra/very religious, how many are modern Orthodox/mostly religious, and how many are irreligious? Is their a trend where more community members are becoming very religious?

How do religious and irreligious SYs interact and view each other? Does it make any difference to a religious member whether another member is irreligious?

Who are considered to be the biggest/most important and respected rabbis within the SY community?

Other than Flatbush and Deal (and their surrounding areas), where else are there notable SY communities?

abound

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:13 pm
Did you ever make a bracha/shake the lulav and esrog? if not, does that bother u?
what are the succos "rules"?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Do most SYs marry within? How common is it to marry out? Are certain outside groups considered off-limits for marriage (in a social sense, unofficially); which?

If an outsider marries an SY, does the SY community consider that spouse to be part of their community? Is there a difference in this regard is it is the husband or if it is the wife?

Is it true that SYs often marry very young, starting from age 18? Have family sizes gotten smaller in the community over the last 35 years?

Most Syrians marry within the community. There are definitely some that marry out and they are generally accepted in the community. Most girls start dating at 18 (which is norm)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:19 pm
abound wrote:
Did you ever make a bracha/shake the lulav and esrog? if not, does that bother u?

Of course we shake lulav, doesn’t bother me that we don’t say beracha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:26 pm
abound wrote:

I actually don’t know anyone that shakes the lulav and etrog and it doesn’t bother me at all

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:29 pm
abound wrote:

The very idea that a woman should be bothered that she doesn't make a bracha/shake the lulav and esrog is as ridiculous as a man being bothered that he doesn't get to light candles Friday night.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:45 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I actually don’t know anyone that shakes the lulav and etrog and it doesn’t bother me at all

Do you mean any woman or anyone at all? Why would SY not shake Lulav and esrog?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 9:48 pm
Do girls go to seminary in Israel? If yes are there syrians ones or they go to standard seminary everyone goes to

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Do you mean any woman or anyone at all? Why would SY not shake Lulav and esrog?

Of course men do however Women don’t shake.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:40 pm
Are syrians and Lebanese basically the same (culture wise)

MrsEsther

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 11:44 pm
amother Peach wrote:
Are syrians and Lebanese basically the same (culture wise)

Lebanese and Egyptian are all under the Syrian umbrella.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:28 am
MrsEsther wrote:
Lebanese and Egyptian are all under the Syrian umbrella.

Really? So Egyptians and Lebanese are also SYs?

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:07 am
abound wrote:

Sfardim pasken more strictly on Bracha lvatala across the board, not just in regards to women. So it follows that since women are not commanded to do lulav and esrog, they are told not to make a Bracha if they choose to do this mitzvah.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:13 am
cb0 wrote:
1. Are there any poor SY Jews in NY or NJ?

2. How many (percentage wise) SYs are poor or lower middle class?

3. Does a high percentage of the SY community fall into the categories of being very comfortable or wealthy?

There are many Syrian kollel families who are far from wealthy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Really? So Egyptians and Lebanese are also SYs?

Egyptians and Lebanese are not SY…
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics