Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/O Unlimited Screentime

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:10 pm
First of all, if you don't have a truly challenging child, please stay off this thread. I know the recommendations regarding screen time for neurotypical children.

On one of the threads someone mentioned that they were told to provide their child with unlimited screen time. I only saw the concept once before but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Is there anyone who does this who can give me more information?

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:24 pm
Mom of asd kid here would never in 1 million years do screen time until she had a challenging kid. Not one of my other kids ever had so much as a game boy or anything at all no movies no devices ever but this kid from the age of 8 to 11 did have a lot of game oy time. it kept him calm however, we definitely stopped it because it became an obsession, I don’t regret letting him use it those years at all. Wouldn’t judge you if you let your kid use it but it’s not a long-term solution. Eventually they need to learn skills how to cope in the world. but for those years while youre teaching skills and life is just too overwhelming I am grateful that I had the game boy.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:27 pm
And in case you are wondering, to stop it we literally went cold turkey. Threw out all game it’s games and it was over. He went crazy for maybe a few hours and now we laugh about it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:43 pm
My asd kid has unlimited screentime. He spends all the time he's home listening to music on youtube. Occasionally, he actually watches the music video that goes along with it. He just likes being able to control his music without any input from anyone else. Unfortunately, my nt kid currently has unlimited screentime too. He was bar mitzvahed before covid, and BIL gave him an ipad without checking with my or dh. Right after covid happened, we were grateful to have another device for the entire family to use for zoom. Unfortunately, ds discovered roblox during that time and became addicted. I tried setting limits but wasn't successful. BH the ipad broke, and I thought I would get ds back. His yeshiva encouraged everyone to sign up for youth core, and ds worked in the camp dining room. He got paid through a debit card and ordered a laptop without checking with me and dh. At this point, it's hard to limit screentime since he has his own device.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 4:49 pm
I get it
But it’s so addictive
And feel In The long run worsened the behavior

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:14 pm
It definitely is addictive and I do agree that eventually when the need is over you gotta go cold turkey but all the while that is satisfies a need , it is a better option than the alternative .
I mentioned it in passing on the caregiver thread, if that is what you are referring to .
For my Asd child , it opens up new worlds and gestalts that she would otherwise not be exposed to and it is more productive for her than doing non functional play.
Additionally, we use it to calm EXTREME tantrums . Yes it is a maladaptive behavior but it is better than the alternative.
This is all coming from a mom that never ever allowed more than 20 minutes screen time to my 10 year old .

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
It definitely is addictive and I do agree that eventually when the need is over you gotta go cold turkey but all the while that is satisfies a need , it is a better option than the alternative .
I mentioned it in passing on the caregiver thread, if that is what you are referring to .
For my Asd child , it opens up new worlds and gestalts that she would otherwise not be exposed to and it is more productive for her than doing non functional play.
Additionally, we use it to calm EXTREME tantrums . Yes it is a maladaptive behavior but it is better than the alternative.
This is all coming from a mom that never ever allowed more than 20 minutes screen time to my 10 year old .

Thanks, yes I was hoping you would come on. What do you mean by gestalt processing?

giftedmom

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
My asd kid has unlimited screentime. He spends all the time he's home listening to music on youtube. Occasionally, he actually watches the music video that goes along with it. He just likes being able to control his music without any input from anyone else. Unfortunately, my nt kid currently has unlimited screentime too. He was bar mitzvahed before covid, and BIL gave him an ipad without checking with my or dh. Right after covid happened, we were grateful to have another device for the entire family to use for zoom. Unfortunately, ds discovered roblox during that time and became addicted. I tried setting limits but wasn't successful. BH the ipad broke, and I thought I would get ds back. His yeshiva encouraged everyone to sign up for youth core, and ds worked in the camp dining room. He got paid through a debit card and ordered a laptop without checking with me and dh. At this point, it's hard to limit screentime since he has his own device.

I’m sorry to be harsh but unfortunately you have surrendered your role as a parent.
It doesn’t matter if someone gave him an iPad or if he buys a laptop without checking with his parents (which in my house would either be returned or belong to us from then on). You are still his parent. And by surrendering that role you are shortchanging him.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I get it
But it’s so addictive
And feel In The long run worsened the behavior

This. As a mom of ND kids. It’s a short term fix but a long term problem. I keep it for no school days or emergencies.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, yes I was hoping you would come on. What do you mean by gestalt processing?

Check out meaningfulspeech.com

This I learned from the speech therapist and that site is an amazing resource.

Basically there is analytical speech - which is typical way of speech development - starts with single words and then builds up to sentences

Gestalts are more like phrases , with intonation that these language processors use as a mode of communication . These language processors processor language with large phrases and intonation and the job of the speech therapist is to help then eventually get to meaningful speech.
Therefore instead of teaching these kids singular words , they learn in phrases .
Where screen time becomes somewhat beneficial (not saying it is all good ) is that she learns phrases from there .
My daughter is a Toveedo watcher
She used “uh oh I’m stuck” (direct from Torah town)
“I’m coming I”m coming “ from Bella bracha
Many phrases from the Mimi and simi story.

I highly recommend that website-ֶand if you have Instagram follow her on IG. She literally offered a whole new understanding for me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)