Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
IM modern orthodox - AMA.
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:59 am
Ask me anything.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Ask me anything.

Does your community willingly ignore the halachos of tnzuis or do your rabbanim just pasken differently

(Please don't give me flak on my question- I'm asking out of curiosity not out of criticism)

amother
Tan

I don’t think you really are. There is so much hate on this site, I don’t think that anyone MO would intentionally invite all the disrespectful comments that are about to follow.

amother
Vermilion

I was thinking about starting the same thing.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:01 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Does your community willingly ignore the halachos of tnzuis or do you rabbinic just passkey differently

(Please don't give me flak on my question- I'm asking out of curiosity not out of criticism)

Case in point.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:04 am
amother Tan wrote:
I don’t think you really are. There is so much hate on this site, I don’t think that anyone MO would intentionally invite all the disrespectful comments that are about to follow.

I am the OP, I will go change it from anonymous. I am MO and just like there are AMA threads about chassidish , satmar and other groups, I thought Id start one on MO.
But I will only answer respectful questions. Not rude ones.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:05 am
Open Orthodox puts themselves into the Modern Orthodox category. Avi Weiss is the Rabbi of an OU synagogue and a former YU faculty Rabbi. Does MO reject OO?

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:06 am
Please explain the difference between mo that going to beach in bikini, and not shomer negiah vs mo that dresses fully tznius and keeps everything same as other types of circles.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:06 am
amother Tan wrote:

I got 99 problems but…

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:07 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Open Orthodox puts themselves into the Modern Orthodox category. Avi Weiss is the Rabbi of an OU synagogue and a former YU faculty Rabbi. Does MO reject OO?

I would imagine that some do reject oo and some do not. Its not a general yes or no.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:10 am
amother Crocus wrote:
Please explain the difference between mo that going to beach in bikini, and not shomer negiah vs mo that dresses fully tznius and keeps everything same as other types of circles.

Modern orthodoxy is a large continuum. You have people who keep every single halacha as they were taught. And you also have people who learned halacha but do not keep it. And you haev people who learn halacha differently to the next person and they keep it. And you have people who choose to keep xyz and not abc. Thats the continuum.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:13 am
I have a similar question and I truly don’t mean it to be disrespectful. When people who are modern orthodox dress in short skirts or short sleeves or don’t cover their hair, is that because the rabbis in your community endorse that as halachically acceptable, or do people choose to not follow that aspect of Halacha? We were at the mall yesterday and my kids asked me that question. I really wasn’t sure what the answer was so would love a little insight. I do hope it’s not insulting to ask.

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:14 am
I come from a family with a lot of MO (on both my side and my husbands)
We have all spectrums, from wearing shorts and short sleeves to covering their hair and more tznius than a lot of my jpf neighbors
Where do you see yourself fall?
(Btw, of the more modern, less tznius, rely on every kula and doesn’t ask their rav anything relatives, their children are either very yeshivish OR completely not frum. The only MO relatives of mine who’s mesorah continued to the next generation is the much frummer ones and I see almost no difference in their hashkafa than mine

Ema of 5

shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ask me anything.

Good luck!!

ROFL

amother NeonGreen wrote:

I am not the OP but I don’t think we “reject” anyone

OO does not follow the all of the same values that I do. But they are Jews striving to be the best they can be. And that is what Judaism is all about.
Listen at Har sinai Moshe did not wear a black hat or a shtreimel he wore a loose fitting cloth like head covering. But do I reject all people from Monroe and lakewood for going against Moshe derech?

Things evolve in Judaism , even if people don’t want to believe it
I think that respect your fellow jew ( and even not Jews ) is the most important thing

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:15 am
Just putting this out there, even though it might not belong - I really respect and am jealous of the value you place in women's learning/education (Jewish and secular). I wish we in the chassidish world has the same emphasis.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:24 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I have a similar question and I truly don’t mean it to be disrespectful. When people who are modern orthodox dress in short skirts or short sleeves or don’t cover their hair, is that because the rabbis in your community endorse that as halachically acceptable, or do people choose to not follow that aspect of Halacha? We were at the mall yesterday and my kids asked me that question. I really wasn’t sure what the answer was so would love a little insight. I do hope it’s not insulting to ask.

I Answered this already. There is a continuum. Look upthread.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:25 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Good luck!!
Very Happy

WhatFor

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:25 am
amother Midnight wrote:

Not OP. And depending on the specifics of what you mean by short or uncovered, that might vary by community. But, with respect to most MO communities I'm familiar with, people don't generally get kicked out based on how they dress (outside of school). So you might see people welcome in the community who don't dress the way the rav does or even the way most people in that community do. That doesn't mean the rav endorses that particular outfit they're wearing that day, they just endorse the idea that that person is a Jew and a human who deserves to be treated with respect and welcome among their community.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:29 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I Answered this already. There is a continuum. Look upthread.

I wonder if this makes it challenging for you or others in your community. Almost like the identity is diluted bec it’s such a spectrum does mo even have a real meaning to it? Isn’t it confusing? What’s the uniting principle that defines mo these days? Like a yu rabbi who is considered mo is certainly very different in terms of how they practice than a woman going mixed swimming who considers herself mo.
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics