Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I am Self Diagnosed with Autism (ASD) AMA
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:23 am
I don't see any reason to get formally diagnosed but I'm 99% sure I have ASD. High functioning. I was evaluated as a kid but they said I wasn't on the spectrum, but only the more serious cases were diagnosed. That tells me I had enough symptoms then for it to even be a thought.

AMA

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:28 am
How do you feel about being autistic?

How do you feel about how our communities veiw high functioning autism? What's something you like? Something you could wish you'd change?

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:37 am
What symptoms do you have? I have also wondered if I might be autistic.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:37 am
LovesHashem wrote:
How do you feel about being autistic?

How do you feel about how our communities veiw high functioning autism? What's something you like? Something you could wish you'd change?

I love finally having a label. It explains so many of my struggles. A regular ADHD diagnosis (which I have) really doesn't explain it all. I really feel a lot better about myself.

Our community is doing better than ever in this regard as more and more kids get diagnosed. But plenty still think of autism as the serious cases that can't talk. "On the spectrum" is more acceptable for some reason.
I was also floored how little the ganenets and teachers know about ASD. They're the "first response"!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:43 am
amother Tulip wrote:
What symptoms do you have? I have also wondered if I might be autistic.

I'll start by saying I'm extroverted but I have social anxiety. That combination is telling. As a kid, I struggled with making and keeping friends. Once I hit my teens, this got better and BH I have plenty of friends.

I often stim. Flap my hands. Repeat words. Make strange noises. I have good enough social skills that I work really hard not to do that in public.

I have SPD. Sometimes I can't stand being touched to the point where I want to explode. (Sometimes I do.) Sometimes I feel such a strong need to touch. Loud noise is really unbearable.

I have severe ADHD. That often goes along with it.

I have special interests. I get obsessions and that's more or less all I want to think of.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 3:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I'll start by saying I'm extroverted but I have social anxiety. That combination is telling. As a kid, I struggled with making and keeping friends. Once I hit my teens, this got better and BH I have plenty of friends.

I often stim. Flap my hands. Repeat words. Make strange noises. I have good enough social skills that I work really hard not to do that in public.

I have SPD. Sometimes I can't stand being touched to the point where I want to explode. (Sometimes I do.) Sometimes I feel such a strong need to touch. Loud noise is really unbearable.

I have severe ADHD. That often goes along with it.

I have special interests. I get obsessions and that's more or less all I want to think of.

Do you hear lightbulbs? CRT TVs/Monitors (the old "not flat" kinds)?

My father, son, and I all hear certain kinds of lightbulbs especially.....so logically, we hate the type of lighting associated with those lightbulbs...and we could always tell if a TV was on in another room out of sight even if it was muted or not playing anything.

We don't want to sit in the dark, but we'd rather be sitting in cave-like settings...

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 4:12 am
amother OP wrote:
I love finally having a label. It explains so many of my struggles. A regular ADHD diagnosis (which I have) really doesn't explain it all. I really feel a lot better about myself.

Our community is doing better than ever in this regard as more and more kids get diagnosed. But plenty still think of autism as the serious cases that can't talk. "On the spectrum" is more acceptable for some reason.
I was also floored how little the ganenets and teachers know about ASD. They're the "first response"!

Would you tell anyone IRL you are autistic?

Do you think any of your kids or relatives are now that you think you are?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:10 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
Do you hear lightbulbs? CRT TVs/Monitors (the old "not flat" kinds)?

My father, son, and I all hear certain kinds of lightbulbs especially.....so logically, we hate the type of lighting associated with those lightbulbs...and we could always tell if a TV was on in another room out of sight even if it was muted or not playing anything.

We don't want to sit in the dark, but we'd rather be sitting in cave-like settings...

Sometimes but they don't bother me. Although, I love the quiet when we lose electricity. I do think I have heightened senses overall. I tell my kids I have eyes in the back of my head and ears in the walls. They take me literally and say that I don't. To be expected. LOL

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 5:16 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Would you tell anyone IRL you are autistic?

Do you think any of your kids or relatives are now that you think you are?

I've told my close friends.
I have one DS who was diagnosed before I diagnosed myself. That got me started because I worried about DD. I saw the list of girl symptoms and it was clear as day.

DH I've strongly suspected has ASD for years. He agrees but doesn't think it matters. At first, I assumed our son got it from him. Now, I think he got it from both.
It also makes sense that we attract.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:11 am
I also have suspected for years that I have HFA.

3 of my 4 kids do.

As a child, I was called an "absent minded professor". I could read at age 4, but was horrible with scissors, so they didn't keep me in kindergarten. I was socially awkward, was bullied, was always in a corner reading a book, hair a mess, clothes a mess.

Didn't have more than one or two real friends until after high school.

One of my special interests was psychology, so now, many people think I couldn't possibly be on the spectrum because I've learned how to read people better, and can see patterns. But so can my YDD, and she's got the diagnosis.

I don't bother getting it confirmed, in part because I don't think it would be possible for me to get a meaningful neuropsych -- I know too much about what the questions are asking, and could game the system either way.

amother
Buttercup

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:40 am
Why the label? Why is that comforting? Does that give you an excuse for being different or not conforming to society ?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:52 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
I also have suspected for years that I have HFA.

3 of my 4 kids do.

As a child, I was called an "absent minded professor". I could read at age 4, but was horrible with scissors, so they didn't keep me in kindergarten. I was socially awkward, was bullied, was always in a corner reading a book, hair a mess, clothes a mess.

Didn't have more than one or two real friends until after high school.

One of my special interests was psychology, so now, many people think I couldn't possibly be on the spectrum because I've learned how to read people better, and can see patterns. But so can my YDD, and she's got the diagnosis.

I don't bother getting it confirmed, in part because I don't think it would be possible for me to get a meaningful neuropsych -- I know too much about what the questions are asking, and could game the system either way.

I almost could've written your post Wink I eventually taught myself decent social skills so that's why people who don't know me very well are often shocked and tell me I can't possibly be on the spectrum. (I told my social worker that I think I am and she thought I was crazy.)

They say that many HFA have a special talent or genius. I say mine is my social skills. But that's because I was obsessed with learning them at some point. (HS... once there was a new pool of girls that didn't already know me). I am still always doubting myself.

I don't see any reason to get it confirmed either. All it gives me is self-knowledge and costs me in time and money. I can get the same self-knowledge for free.

2/4 of my kids are diagnosed with ADHD. The 3rd totally has ADHD too but is young. 1/4 is diagnosed with ASD. I wouldn't be surprised if more have it and if we have any more kids I know it's a strong possibility.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:02 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
Why the label? Why is that comforting? Does that give you an excuse for being different or not conforming to society ?

It's a good question. Although, I object to the word excuse. It's not an excuse. It's why I am different and it's why I can't easily conform to society.

I have suffered from severe anxiety and depression. Undiagnosed OCD. Wanting friends but having no idea how to make them. Mild bullying (BH not too intense because most were too intimidated by my brains). Abuse (not having good social skills makes a person easy prey). Sensory processing disorder which makes it hard to parent my kids. Terrible executive functioning skills and trouble focusing. Impulsivity. Stimulants worsen my anxiety. Extreme emotional sensitivity...

I had to get help from the social services because I can't parent my kids properly. I felt like the biggest loser out there. Look at all the people who have ADHD and are so successful. Why am I a failure?

Answer is ASD. I am dealing with something more complex. It makes sense I need support. (The social services are amazing BH.) There are people with HFA who can't marry and have kids. I am fortunate that I can, but needing the support makes much more sense to me. Especially, considering my kids have very neurodiverse genetics between the 2 of us.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:06 am
amother Buttercup wrote:

A diagnosis/label gives you knowledge, understanding so you can get the right tools to help you.

Imagine yelling at a fish why it can't fly. It's not an excuse per say, but it helps us understand what we are capable of and to stop giving ourselves the expectation to function and act and be productive at the same levels as everyone else.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 9:49 pm
I know this is a few weeks old but I’m really struggling rn and maybe someone on here can see this and help me out.

Anyone on here has gotten an ASD diagnosis as an adult? If yes and you are willing to share leads and tips for how to go about that please respond!

(Not interested in getting it for govt benefits or to have on my medical file. I just want answers for myself)

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:01 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I know this is a few weeks old but I’m really struggling rn and maybe someone on here can see this and help me out.

Anyone on here has gotten an ASD diagnosis as an adult? If yes and you are willing to share leads and tips for how to go about that please respond!

(Not interested in getting it for govt benefits or to have on my medical file. I just want answers for myself)
I did, through Relief. It's expensive.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:09 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
I did, through Relief. It's expensive.

Thanks for your response!
Do you have a website or phone number?

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Thanks for your response!
Do you have a website or phone number?
Dr Dani Hollander (718) 986-7692

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:02 pm
Thank you!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 1:25 am
Considering you said that stimulants worsen your anxiety, are you on any meds for ADHD?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics