Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Heal reflux in 4 year old

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 8:39 pm
My 4 year old has very bad reflux (they even saw ulcers when they did a scope last)
She will be having a scope in a few weeks where they will make the final decision about surgery (Nissan's) which is being considered.
Anyone managed to cure their reflux? I am very scared for surgery because I am worried that we will have a new set of issues

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 8:45 pm
Is there more history? Like why is surgery being recommended as a first line of treatment? I would strongly advise another opining before doing surgery. You're absolutely right about surgery possibly bringing its own set of issues.

If you're willing to be open minded, there is a lot of help in healing reflux. Your best bet is a naturopathic doctor who can help you figure out offending foods to remove from diet and recommend herbs/homeopathy/supplements for your child.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Is there more history? Like why is surgery being recommended as a first line of treatment? I would strongly advise another opining before doing surgery. You're absolutely right about surgery possibly bringing its own set of issues.

If you're willing to be open minded, there is a lot of help in healing reflux. Your best bet is a naturopathic doctor who can help you figure out offending foods to remove from diet and recommend herbs/homeopathy/supplements for your child.

Good advice. But there is also the structural part that needs to be investigated and possibly dealt with. She might have a weak lower esophageal sphincter. Chiropractic and craniosacral body with can do WONDERS for that and other issues. If you are in NY or close enough to NY, I'd reccomended you see Dr. Forster. This is his specialty and his partner Dr. Horowitz is fantastic fantastic too but for relax def see forster.
They have helped many ppl including many of my friends and family. I only hear good stuff of whoever I've sent to him.
Let him know that it's a very time sensitive issue. It's pretty hard to get a fast appointment. Ask about cancelations. If they don't have call 2 days later again and kindly ask about cancelations.
His phone number is 917-572-1030
He has an office in Brooklyn (Williamsburg) and Long Island. I'm not sure if he so has his Manhattan office though.

Good luck and refuah sheleima!

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:33 pm
Op, can I ask what are the symptoms of her reflux? I suspect my ds3 still has, he had really bad reflux as a baby but it’s hard for doctors to take me seriously when I can’t pinpoint why I think he still has it.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:50 pm
In addition to what tzutzie and amother steel blue said, I would also see an airway informed orthodontist and or myofunctional therapist to rule out oral ties.

Vagus nerve work can be really helpful for reflux as well.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:51 am
amother Cognac wrote:
Op, can I ask what are the symptoms of her reflux? I suspect my ds3 still has, he had really bad reflux as a baby but it’s hard for doctors to take me seriously when I can’t pinpoint why I think he still has it.

She used to vomit daily but currently that is under control. She takes PPI meds but will still have nights in pain and coughing and feels nauseous in the morning.
She was already diagnosed 1.5 years ago and her weight was always fine. 9 months ago they said her weight was static and 3 months ago she started dropping in centiles. The weight issue was never a problem and that's why doctors never listened to me but I met this Gastro doc and she immediately said she thinks it's reflux but will do a scope to double check and it was, there was even inflammation and ulcers

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 3:54 am
Thank you for your replies, will check it out. The reason that are thinking about surgery is because she is already 1.5 years on PPI meds. currently her weight is also an issue which is concerning them.
The Gastro team had a meeting and they are also unsure about doing surgery on such a young child but they said that the scope in a few weeks will give an answer to how bad it currently is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics