Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this legal?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 8:08 pm
Not sure where to ask this.

Is it legal for a school to charge parents for a kid to be taken out for non mandated therapy?
Therapy (OT, Speech and Social Work) are all provided by an agency and insurance covers it so it is free for parents. The school is charging a fee for each time the child is pulled out so the school can pay for the person in charge of being in touch with therapists and pulling kids from class.

In a clinic it is not legal to charge any extra fees (no show, cancels...). I can't think of why it wouldn't be legal but it feels so wrong and parents are opting out of therapy because of it. Again, these are not mandated therapies, but the school giving the option of an insurance therapist to come in.

Thoughts?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 8:31 pm
It's not legal for voucher parents to be charged either. You don't like it tough.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:22 pm
I don't know if it's legal but I do know they do not need to allow therapists into their school nor allow during their school hours.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:24 pm
these parents are on medicaid?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:26 pm
Usually non mandated therapies are not free, there’s at least a copay.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:38 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Usually non mandated therapies are not free, there’s at least a copay.

Most of the kids are on medicaid so no copay.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:39 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I don't know if it's legal but I do know they do not need to allow therapists into their school nor allow during their school hours.

That's why I'm asking because I know they don't have to do it which is why I'm wondering if it's legal.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:39 pm
Call the insurance and ask, but likely they cannot charge if they are billing insurance.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:44 pm
My kids school has someone on staff who coordinates therapies and other related services. She has other responsibilities too, and her salary comes from the general school budget, not fees that parents of kids getting therapy have to pay.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:45 pm
Regarding legality, a Medicaid provider is not allowed the charge additional fees. The school is not a Medicaid provider, they can charge whatever fees they want.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Regarding legality, a Medicaid provider is not allowed the charge additional fees. The school is not a Medicaid provider, they can charge whatever fees they want.

This. The agency the therapist works for can't charge you Anything since they are billing Medicaid but the school has no such restriction. That being said, I'm a private therapist going into schools and I've never ever heard of a school charging the parents for this. Where I live, this is unusual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics