Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
So conflicted about braces
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 3:23 pm
I don’t know what to do. My kids have been going regularly to dentists and the dentist has never recommended going to orthodontist. I was talking to my sister and she was flipping out that they never went and so I made an appointment for a consult and lo and behold the orthodontist said they both are major candidates for braces due to a whole host of issues and I should’ve brought them in earlier. They are 17 and 16. He said he will attempt to get the best correction possible but it can’t be guaranteed because of their age. My husband is of the opinion that any ortho will claim they need braces. I don’t know what to do. This is a major expense of $12k plus but obviously if my kids need it I will find a way, the question is if it’s really needed.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 3:25 pm
Do you see the issues that the orthodontist described?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 3:28 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Do you see the issues that the orthodontist described?

He claims there’s an overbite and teeth crowding which I saw in the X-rays but how bad is that? I never had braces and have no issues so nothing to compare to. Also I’m concerned about the efficacy at this point. They’re teeth are straight so I’m not concerned abt cosmetically

amother
Peony

You can get a second opinion
I got braces for aesthetics
I think I was 16 as were my friends

amother
Junglegreen

I was told I'm not a candidate for braces by an orthodontist so I don't know that they always say everyone should get. But get a second opinion if you aren't sure.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 3:30 pm
I personally would not go cheap on teeth.
I don’t have a choice with my kids, they desperately need major orthodontic work, it’s not optional. But even in a lesser case, I feel it’s important.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 3:30 pm
Go to your trusted dentist and ask.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:36 pm
Ask your general dentist and tell him you're not looking for a referral to an orthodontist, just want his opinion. Then he'll have no skin in this game, which he might if he referred you to someone who'd give him a kickback. Of course the orthodontist will say they need braces--that's his bread and butter, or should I say his champagne and caviar, and he's not about to turn away business.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:41 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Ask your general dentist and tell him you're not looking for a referral to an orthodontist, just want his opinion. Then he'll have no skin in this game, which he might if he referred you to someone who'd give him a kickback. Of course the orthodontist will say they need braces--that's his bread and butter, or should I say his champagne and caviar, and he's not about to turn away business.

That’s exactly what my husband thinks. But wouldn’t a dentist automatically say they need to see an orthodontist if they felt he needed to see one?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s exactly what my husband thinks. But wouldn’t a dentist automatically say they need to see an orthodontist if they felt he needed to see one?

Not necessarily.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:02 pm
Makes no sense what he’s saying about their age. Everyone gets braces on their adult teeth..

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:07 pm
Go to the dentist you've been using all the years. Trust him or her.

Is it just for cosmetics?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:15 pm
If a dentist never said anything and you don’t see a cosmetic issue I wouldn’t run to do it

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:18 pm
Go for a second opinion. Many orthodontists offer a consultation for free and if you have the x-rays you can share them instead of getting new ones

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Go to the dentist you've been using all the years. Trust him or her.

Is it just for cosmetics?

Not for cosmetics. Teeth are perfectly straight

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Makes no sense what he’s saying about their age. Everyone gets braces on their adult teeth..

Maybe for cosmetic but not to fix issues?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Go for a second opinion. Many orthodontists offer a consultation for free and if you have the x-rays you can share them instead of getting new ones

I can tell them to send the X-rays even though I’m not an official patient yet and only had a consult?

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can tell them to send the X-rays even though I’m not an official patient yet and only had a consult?

You should be able to.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:49 pm
You can ask.. they may or may not be willing to do it.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:50 pm
Not sure I would trust him
The dentist should know
Hes the 1 that refers to the orthodontist by us
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics