Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Celery knob soup

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:03 pm
I've never used a celery knob before. I decided to be adventurous and try it, but now I'm scared. Of course it looks a little scary, but the problem is, it smells interesting, also.
Does it taste okay?

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:12 pm
Please, anyone?

naomi2

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 1:54 pm
Ive never made soup from celery knob but I've used it in chicken soup and I know the flavor. It will be a very strong celery flavor. I would add cauliflower to the soup to temper the flavor

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 2:17 pm
I love knob celery but I would not do more than a fifty fifty blend with potatoes if making a soup

scruffy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 2:27 pm
I agree with the posters above but it can make a delicious soup. I would add a head of roasted garlic in addition to the potatoes or cauliflower

Peonie

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 5:48 pm
Celery knob soup is one of my favorites from childhood, it's definitely an intense flavor (which is why it should be combined with something milder like other posters suggested) but it's delicious! Unfortunately no recipe was passed down to me, but I think I remember it had potatoes, parsnips and maybe onions?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 5:53 pm
I put it in chicken soup, along with carrots, parsnips, celery, and (if I can find it) parsley root. But I have never made celeriac soup with the celeriac as the main ingredient.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:30 pm
Can you please share the recipe? I’d love to try it

yamz

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 6:59 pm
You can definitely make celeriac soup. I've made it a few times. I would probably make it more often if it wasn't such a hassle to peel.

Rough recipe:
- Peeled and cubed celery root. (It oxidizes like apples and potatoes do, so keep it in a bowl of water with a small splash of lemon juice.)
- peeled and chopped onion
- peeled and chopped russet potatoes, approximately the same volume as celery root
Oil for sauteeing
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in bottom of your pot and add onion. Sautee onion over medium heat until soft. Add the celery root and potatoes. Pour in water or stock to cover by two inches . Add some salt and pepper. Cook covered until the vegetables are tender and can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Remove from heat. Puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Optional add ins:
-Serve with (homemade) bread croutons
-Small sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or dill
-For dairy, a splash of cream stirred in and/ or serve with a more flavored grated cheese like parmesan or fontina

AllThings

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:35 pm
I use it in any soup where you might put in celery, it tastes very similar (could it be stronger? idk). The texture is very different than celery though.

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:20 pm
The soup was really nice, not unpleasant or intense. It tasted a little bit like V8 juice without tomatoes. I can share the recipe if anyone wants. It's from "The Voice of Lakewood" magazine.[I]

shev

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 12:38 pm
1525 wrote:
The soup was really nice, not unpleasant or intense. It tasted a little bit like V8 juice without tomatoes. I can share the recipe if anyone wants. It's from "The Voice of Lakewood" magazine.[I]

Yes can you share it please. Sounds like something I would want to try.
Thank You

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 12:16 pm
3 tbsp oil, 2 large onions, 3 cloves garlic minced, 3 large celery knobs peeled and diced, 1 large Yukon Gold potato diced, 1 parsnip diced, 1 zucchini peeled & diced, 10 cups water (plus 2, if using barley), 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup barley (optional).
Heat oil in large pot, add onions & saute until soft and translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the rest of the vegetables, then add water & spices. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook till the vegetables are fork tender about one - one and 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and allow to cool before blending with an immersion blender. If adding barley, add 2 cups of water and barley & bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for an additional hour.
I did everything according to the recipe, but put in 1 Tbsp of salt instead of 1/2, because 1/2 seemed too little compared to how much I usually put in this amount of soup. (And even then I thought it was salty enough, but would be better with more salt.)
Also, I didn't cool the soup before blending.
I put in barley, but probably would have liked it better without it, maybe with croutons, instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics