Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Cage petticoats--only for kallahs?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 5:05 pm
I'm a BT and also on the spectrum so chasidish social norms aren't always clear to me.

My SIL says that only kallahs wear cage petticoats under their gowns, as opposed to regular petticoats. I asked her about a cage petticoat that's the same size as a regular one, and she said the same rule applies. I have a gut feeling that that last answer might have been nonsense made up on the spot.

If I'm going to a family wedding to (1) make small talk (2) in a place where I can't even hear the person I'm talking to and (3) leave so overstimulated by the noise and lights that it takes me hours to be able to think clearly again, I'm at least going to wear comfortable clothes. It would be great if that could include a more comfortable petticoat, but I really don't want to seem like I'm trying to take attention away from the bride or something.

So, have you heard of this rule? Is it really nothing to do with the size of the petticoat? I measured the petticoat I got while shopping with her and it's no more than 40" wide. If I get a 40" diameter cage petticoat, will anyone really be able to tell the difference?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 5:09 pm
I dont think thats a rule though they're not so fashionable these days. They dont 'move' naturally and look a bit off in my experience.
( My dd had one for her purim costume it was a huge pain in the neck...)

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 5:21 pm
I don’t think it’s a rule but agree with the poster who said it looks a bit off. Other than the kallah, women don’t wear gowns with big petticoats under them these days. For a kallah a big petticoat is still a look that goes but even many kallahs are wearing less puffy skirts. As a guest you want a gown that flows more naturally. I understand you want to be comfortable but I’m not sure why you think you’ll feel more comfortable in a cage petticoat. Sitting down, standing up, leaning, bending, dancing, they’re all easier in a skirt that flows but clings to your own shape a little.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 6:40 pm
Only if you're playing a role in a Civil War reenactment or a remake of Gone With the Wind, because that's what you will look like. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about wearing it. A hoopskirt by any other name went out by the end of the 1800s.

mfb

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 8:00 pm
Hard to sit with those.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 8:02 pm
Agree. All petticoats are completely out of style. Even for sisters of the bride.

Possibly, the bride can wear one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics