Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Am I the only one that never bakes challoth?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:14 pm
I’m nearing my 40th birthday and have never made challah for shabbos. I always buy from the bakery. Am I the only one??

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:15 pm
I am 40 and only baked challah for about 3 years. At one point in my mid-twenties I didn't work on Fridays. That was the only time I got into it and it was doable. I can't get to it these days.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:25 pm
I buy frozen & let it rise & bake in my oven.
I’ve baked maybe 3 times in my life & it comes out not great.
So, no, your not the only one

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:29 pm
I did not bake for years so you are not alone. I actually made a few times the last year (started because someone in our neighborhood had a hafrashas challah event for a dear relative and I wanted to be there for her). I got a metal bowl for my bosch mixer and have been making the dough in the mixer and not braiding the challah- dividing it up and sticking it into pans. The not braiding it is very helpful for me in terms of it taking less time. I know it's probably ideal to braid it, but I figure the hafrasha is the most important part

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:36 pm
I basically only do it if I'm going to a challah baking event. Otherwise not really worth the effort for me.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:39 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
I buy frozen & let it rise & bake in my oven.
I’ve baked maybe 3 times in my life & it comes out not great.
So, no, your not the only one

Same.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:41 pm
I'm in my mid 30s and only once attempted to bake challos. It was a disaster. We all prefer bakery water challos anyway. I really don't enjoy baking in general.

happy7

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:42 pm
I don’t think my mother has EVER baked challah,

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:54 pm
It's a very big job for me, but I try to several times a year only with a 5lb batch in order to take. It's worth it to me & I'd rather have/serve homemade & daven at the auspicious time & buy ready made if that will allow for the time. But we supplement plenty with store bought & matzah too.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:55 pm
I'm a bit older than you and have only made it 3X.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:28 pm
I'm so happy I had "support " I was discouraged that the first time I made Challah their was so many steps to follow and it took me so long with time I got quicker with making it and branding it.

I got a Machine as a gift after a little more than 10 years of marriage I started out making it twice a year. Before the fall yomin tovim. My family loved it there wasn't a crumb left. We usually buy a mini store bought Challah because no one eats it. I had a friend give me to Challah hot-line go over the steps with me. I was told in that over time it will get quicker. I'm so proud of myself for the first time today I made 2
Batches in 1 day. It took me half the time now since Istarted out and im making double the amount. Then I will freeze it and I will have homemade Challah each week without the hassle of making it and cleaning up.

If anyone is worried that it takes so long. I learned a few tricks along the way. You could measure out the dry ingredients and yeast in advance, set up machine and pans in advance use quick rise yeast, with time you will get faster at braiding.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:37 pm
I'm 40 and only started baking aprox 3 years ago. Don't feel bad

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m nearing my 40th birthday and have never made challah for shabbos. I always buy from the bakery. Am I the only one??

I’m older than you and I don’t bake challah.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:39 pm
In my 60s- never baked challos.

belovedaz

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:41 pm
My mother bakes one time a year- shlissel challah the week after pesach.
I bake cuz it saves money right now. I get about 10 challos from my dough amd I freeze. It is very expensive to keep buying as my family grows kah

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:48 pm
I'm older than you and while I bake challah I
am Ashkenazi and have never made a potato kugel. Feel better?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:55 pm
I don't. I work all day Friday and so it's just top time consuming to do during the week.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 9:15 pm
I started to bake challah at 40! Never ever did it before that. So it's not too late to start if u want to!

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 9:15 pm
I baked a handful of times over the years but haven’t baked at all for at least the last 3 years. I work full time and allocate my time and energy to other necessary household/family things. My mother has never baked challah and my grandmother never did either.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 9:30 pm
My 75 yo mom has never baked challah (unless you count the frozen Kinneret challah from the 80’s) I don’t think my grandmother A”H ever did either.

I bake. It’s my thing. But that doesn’t make me a better wife/mother/Jewish woman….. I just happen to enjoy baking.
(For then record, I hate saying tehillim.-they do not speak to me at all.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics