Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Names for body parts and bodily functions (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next

Tehilla

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:08 am
GAMZu wrote:
First they were sure the cord was the peepee, but I told them it's not so they shouldn't get scared when it falls off. LOL

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:25 am
What's wrong with calling it a "private part".

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:44 am
So, how would you translate "private part" to Hebrew, Tamiri? LOL

We call it a toosik. They call the front that too, now, since I haven't taught my younger ones the real words yet. I'll probably call the pen*s and 'eiver'.

Oh yeah. Kokky and Peepee for you know. Gedolim and ketanim are terms that I find completely ridiculous, even though there is probably not a person in my entire city that doesn't use it. I totally refuse to. Even my husband doesn't get it. The reason it's used is that it's a euphemism for the real words. Well, I have news for you - Kokky and Peepee aren't the real words either and we don't need euphemisms for that.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:45 am
ChossidMom wrote:

boolbool, of course.
Micha's back end are called challa buns.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:46 am
GAMZu wrote:
First they were sure the cord was the peepee, but I told them it's not so they shouldn't get scared when it falls off. LOL

home birth & all - you do know to cut the umbilical cord ?!?!?! shock

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:50 am
Tamiri wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

boolbool, of course.

Of course. I didn't mean such an EXACT translation... Gotta hand it to you!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 5:59 am
Eivarim mootznaim. But that's not a good cliche like "private parts". Boolbool is the best.

SuperMama

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 8:31 am
Why do we have to name these parts to children?????

In my house we call the behind ah kishen which is a pillow/cushion in yiddish. That's what it is, it's your pillow. Why do I need to explain to my children the real names. I don't even consider tushy to be a nice word, and my children are not taught that.

I call urine a nasi or vasser
I call a BM a pekel or fechy

And I don't call their parts anything, I have NO idea why they need to know. If something hurts there they will point. I do give my children a speech if someone touches you here I need to know, but I don't tell them specifically in that area. I tell them We have tznius and we always keep our bodies covered so if by mistake someone touches something that is covered, tell mommy. They will learn the parts when they need to and that's it. The only reason we say pillow for behind is becuase I tell htem to sit nicely on their pillow not their knees or not to stand lol.

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 8:44 am
ds is two. We call it a pee-pee and he knows where his tushy is. When he makes a #1 he calls it a pishy and when he makes a #2 he calls it a poop'ala.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 9:00 am
Isn't peepee the thing you make, not make from?

sllyjllybn

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 9:47 am
growing up we called it a pissher. and we made pee pee. our tushy made a poo. for both boys and girls.

the truth is the more you get crazy about it the more questions the kids ask. just like you tell them an arm is an arm. I remember my mother telling us that if we needed to talk to her about our private places to go with her to a private place. it wasnt for talking about loudly. or we could whisper in her ear. whenever we had to go to the bathroom and we were out we would just tell her in a secret. as long as they have some way to express themselves about their anatomy kids are ok. they get the social cues from us so if we make a big deal, they do.

you have to call it something, because what if it hurts them? how can they tell you what hurts?

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 9:50 am
Growing up the back was the behind and the front was the hind. Go figure... LOL

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 9:58 am
SuperMama wrote:

In my house we call the behind ah kishen which is a pillow/cushion in yiddish. That's what it is, it's your pillow. Why do I need to explain to my children the real names. I don't even consider tushy to be a nice word, and my children are not taught that.

And I don't call their parts anything, I have NO idea why they need to know. If something hurts there they will point. I do give my children a speech if someone touches you here I need to know, but I don't tell them specifically in that area. I tell them We have tznius and we always keep our bodies covered so if by mistake someone touches something that is covered, tell mommy. They will learn the parts when they need to and that's it. The only reason we say pillow for behind is becuase I tell htem to sit nicely on their pillow not their knees or not to stand lol.

This is very smart are you the same person who posted before about calling a behind a pillow?

SuperMama

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 10:00 am
sllyjllybn wrote:
growing up we called it a pissher. and we made pee pee. our tushy made a poo. for both boys and girls.

the truth is the more you get crazy about it the more questions the kids ask. just like you tell them an arm is an arm. I remember my mother telling us that if we needed to talk to her about our private places to go with her to a private place. it wasnt for talking about loudly. or we could whisper in her ear. whenever we had to go to the bathroom and we were out we would just tell her in a secret. as long as they have some way to express themselves about their anatomy kids are ok. they get the social cues from us so if we make a big deal, they do.

you have to call it something, because what if it hurts them? how can they tell you what hurts?

My kids can point and tell me if it hurts in private. They have hands that can point.

rnidich

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:10 am
For all of you mothers who said that we don't need to name those parts, please fill in the blank in the following sentence:

Pish doesn't belong on the floor. Please make sure your ______ is pointing into the toilet.

Or how else would you say that to a little boy?

SuperMama

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:25 am
rnidich wrote:
For all of you mothers who said that we don't need to name those parts, please fill in the blank in the following sentence:

Pish doesn't belong on the floor. Please make sure your ______ is pointing into the toilet.

Please make sure we point to the toilet.

SuperMama

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
SuperMama wrote:

This is very smart are you the same person who posted before about calling a behind a pillow?

yes

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:39 am
rnidich wrote:

hi fellow clevelander Mr. Green

_________ = "thingy" Nervous (jk)

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:42 am
flowerpower wrote:
Isn't peepee the thing you make, not make from?

In my house you make a "pishy" or a "pish-pish". So calling it a "pee-pee" poses no problems.

kapish? LOL

MalkaChaya

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 9:04 pm
I do hope that this thread finally dies as it should have long ago... but in the meantime:

A dear friend didn't think anything of using cutesy Yiddish-like words for bodily functions. After all, the family understood, the [gentile] babysitter understood, and the kids go to the tiny local cheder. What could go wrong?? Her son, then quite young, told his general studies teacher that he had "to go shmutzik". Completely confused, the teacher told him to sit back down. Long story short: mom had to pick her son up early that day.

Same child accidentally locked himself in the bathroom around the same age. The fire department had to come with a ladder truck to come in through the window and unlock the door from the inside. Boy refused to pull up his pants before the fireman came in the window because he was 'shmutzy.' Mom tried explaining through the locked door that, just this one time, it was ok to shmutzy his pants. Poor kid.

An argument for teaching our kids to wipe themselves, perhaps? Or perhaps one for removing the locks from bathroom doors?
Page 15 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics