Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Picky Eater

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:32 pm
My 2.5 year old is an extremely picky eater and it’s only getting worse. Is there a specific type of therapy/therapist that helps for this? Books to read or podcasts to listen to? I’m in Brooklyn. Please help!

ETA: I suspect it’s a sensory issue as I see it in other areas too.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:39 pm
Only serve foods during designated meal and snack times. Include a safe food or two but don't make something different if your child doesn't eat.

Picky phases are normal, but kids know when you're concerned about their eating. This creates a pressure that can cause or exacerbate problems. This is why many children seem to eat better in daycare or when their mother leaves the room: because the mother cares too much, and hasn't internalized that it's not her responsibility to make her child eat.

Read an Ellyn Satter book.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:49 pm
If you think its sensory do you know what textures they like? I have a weird eater that will eat anything crunchy. If I serve it in a taco shell or egg roll he will eat all kinds of stuff that shock me. With him, power struggles did not work. I asked myself over and over is this the hill I want to die on. So you want your portion before I heated up everyone else? Knock yourself out. The goal is to get him to eat. I really keep it calm.

This same kid has other sensory issues too and OT helps a lot. So definitely look into that.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:55 pm
Yes, a speech therapist specialized in feeding issues should help. Make sure she is specialized in feeding. Some picky eaters actually have issues coordinating tongue and jaw movements when they eat, and feeding therapy helps with that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:13 pm
Does anyone have a recommendation for a therapist who specializes in this?

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a therapist who specializes in this?

NYU has a feeding clinic.
Brooklyn College has a speech clinic, but not all speech therapists there are specialized in feeding therapy.
Also this speech therapist was well recommended:
https://www.firstrowetherapy.com/

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:52 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Only serve foods during designated meal and snack times. Include a safe food or two but don't make something different if your child doesn't eat.

Picky phases are normal, but kids know when you're concerned about their eating. This creates a pressure that can cause or exacerbate problems. This is why many children seem to eat better in daycare or when their mother leaves the room: because the mother cares too much, and hasn't internalized that it's not her responsibility to make her child eat.

Read an Ellyn Satter book.

I’m not OP but going thru the exact same thing now. He refuses to eat supper every single night no matter what it is. He rather starve till the am.
He asks for cereal all the time but the answer is always no

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:03 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
I’m not OP but going thru the exact same thing now. He refuses to eat supper every single night no matter what it is. He rather starve till the am.
He asks for cereal all the time but the answer is always no

So include cereal sometimes. Exposure to the other foods is good even if he eats none. Some children also do well with a bedtime snack (again, a couple balanced things). Many toddlers are genuinely not hungry at dinner time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:07 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
So include cereal sometimes. Exposure to the other foods is good even if he eats none. Some children also do well with a bedtime snack (again, a couple balanced things). Many toddlers are genuinely not hungry at dinner time.

He literally doesn’t eat it’s a miracle he picks at the food In playgroup
He ate a slice of apple it was a huge deal for us same with a cucumber and a bite of chicken. But when offered the same thing home he refuses
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics