Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
If you buy cheap synthetics

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 3:38 pm
I've been thinking about buying a cheap synthetic wig on Amazon (talking about fifty bucks or so). Can you recommend one? Has anyone else done this?

Also, if you can share your experiences with me...Do you ever wash your synthetics? If not, how many wears do they last? I only wear a sheitel an average of once a month, maybe twice. I tried to buy a new one a few years ago and it was a lemon. I just can't waste that much money again, but my old one is really falling apart. Thought this might be a good option for me.

I was thinking about buying one now but I want it to last until Pesach. If I buy it and keep it in the box until Pesach (maybe wearing it a couple of times in the meantime), will it still look good? Is its life dependent on how often you wear it or on how old it is?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:16 pm
I wear synthetic and wash them about every 8 weeks or so or else it looks a lot worse.
I don't have much experience with 50 dollar wigs but I'm assuming if you're only gonna wear it once a month and maintain it well then it should last a few years.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:21 pm
I bought a synthetic at a shaital sale (so I did try some on and see it before I purchased) I paid $200. I probably bought it about 6 months ago and I have probably worn it about 20 times for about 4-5 hours at a time. I have not washed it yet. I should have taken better care of it and not brushed it so aggressively. I don’t regret the purchase.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:34 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I wear synthetic and wash them about every 8 weeks or so or else it looks a lot worse.
I don't have much experience with 50 dollar wigs but I'm assuming if you're only gonna wear it once a month and maintain it well then it should last a few years.

Do you wash them yourself? Or bring them to a regular sheitelmacher? (Do they laugh at you?)

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 4:53 pm
I have zero idea how to maintane a wig so I bring them to the sheitelmacher who does synthetic wigs and no they don't laugh at me. Why should they? That's how they make money!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 5:11 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I have zero idea how to maintane a wig so I bring them to the sheitelmacher who does synthetic wigs and no they don't laugh at me. Why should they? That's how they make money!

I live in Baltimore. Wonder if such a thing exists here...I think a regular sheitelmacher might laugh. But I'll ask around.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:45 pm
Does anyone else have a specific cheap synthetic to recommend? Preferably that I can buy online?

Also, any more tips on taking care of it? I'll try not to overbrush it (honestly, I never brush my sheitel at all between sets), and it's helpful to know that there are people who service synthetics. Anything else it would be helpful for me to know?

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in Baltimore. Wonder if such a thing exists here...I think a regular sheitelmacher might laugh. But I'll ask around.

I live in Baltimore. I don’t know if/who washes sinthetics but there are some ladies in town who wash wigs and are really sweet and certainly wouldn’t laugh at you. I suggest just calling them up and asking.

bestwife4

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:23 pm
I wear Amazon cheap wigs. Looks very good. I wear it with a cap. High pony or funky bun. Looks very natural. I don't wash mine. they get knotty after a couple of wears, I purchase a new one every month or so. Just search what wig your looking for and read reviews before purchasing.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:30 pm
bestwife4 wrote:
I wear Amazon cheap wigs. Looks very good. I wear it with a cap. High pony or funky bun. Looks very natural. I don't wash mine. they get knotty after a couple of wears, I purchase a new one every month or so. Just search what wig your looking for and read reviews before purchasing.

Would you post a link please to the one you get?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:58 pm
I bought one a month or so ago on amazon thanks to imamother! I have been wearing it as a shabbos shaitel. I wore it to a wedding and my friend couldn't believe it! it cost under $20, so once it's no longer good, not worth giving it in to wash. I guess you could try on your own, if you know how to.
it stays on better with a wig cap underneath. The part doesn't go to the front like my "real" wigs, but I am still pretty happy with it so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:52 am
amother OP wrote:

Come to Monsey, there are (chassidish) SM who do only synthetics!

I paid about 200 for shaitel and adding hair, and about 300 for the cut.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:21 am
Quote:

I'm from baltimore too. I'm sure you can find more than one that won't laugh at you. And if you go to one that would laugh. Let her laugh--you have to do what works for you.

FYI--I just saw a new consignment shop in someone's house of good condition used shaitels. It won't be as cheap as a $50 synthetic, but I think prices started at around $200.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:33 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
Quote:

I'm from baltimore too. I'm sure you can find more than one that won't laugh at you. And if you go to one that would laugh. Let her laugh--you have to do what works for you.

FYI--I just saw a new consignment shop in someone's house of good condition used shaitels. It won't be as cheap as a $50 synthetic, but I think prices started at around $200.

Thanks, when I said "they'll laugh," I guess I meant they wouldn't know what to do with a synthetic sheitel. Do you wash and set them the same way? Would a typical sheitelmacher know what to do with a synthetic sheitel?

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:04 pm
The advantage of a synthetic wig is that it is set in the style and that's how it stays. So you can wash it, and it will automatically stay in the the style. It doesn't need to be set.
I used to wear a lot of synthetic wigs. I would wash them myself with warm water and basic shampoo, then let it dry and it was back to itself again. I loved that I could go out in the rain and not worry about it getting ruined.
I found they lasted somewhere between 6 months-1 year with daily wear.
I was happy with the brand Paula Young. Price will depend on the color you need and the length you want. I found longer than say shoulder length usually didn't look so good as it looks more fake.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
The advantage of a synthetic wig is that it is set in the style and that's how it stays. So you can wash it, and it will automatically stay in the the style. It doesn't need to be set.
I used to wear a lot of synthetic wigs. I would wash them myself with warm water and basic shampoo, then let it dry and it was back to itself again. I loved that I could go out in the rain and not worry about it getting ruined.
I found they lasted somewhere between 6 months-1 year with daily wear.
I was happy with the brand Paula Young. Price will depend on the color you need and the length you want. I found longer than say shoulder length usually didn't look so good as it looks more fake.

Not sure what type of synthetic wig you used but I have worn synthetic for years and it definitely does not hold its setting after washing. Does not make any sense whatyou are saying.

Also op it needs to be washed and set by someone who is familiar with synthetic. It's not done the same way as human hair wigs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels