Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Writing courses? App?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:24 pm
I love writing . I have been teaching hs writing for years . Wish I had time and creativity to write a book .
Imho I am a great writer but lack the ability to come up with a creative story line.
My fingers are itching to write, but I do best with a structured framework.

Can anyone recommend a great writing course or guided app/ site?
( Again- not to “teach “ writing even though I can always learn , but more to provide the prompts and / or structure that I can use to spark my own pieces….)

Just laughing because I ve been asked to give writing classes for years as this is what I do professionally as a teacher , and here I am looking for the exact same … Every teacher is a student !

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:57 pm
I've been writing for years, published 2 novels.

There is no one way to write a novel. You can get some books but a book I liked may not be a good fit for you. And the truth of the matter is that when I wanted an idea and I couldn't find something I liked and I read books it didn't really help either. Very strongly feel that the plot or inspiration for a story has to come from Hashem. I have had many ideas where it just fizzled because I didn't really like it enough.

Do you want to write Jewish or secular?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I've been writing for years, published 2 novels.

There is no one way to write a novel. You can get some books but a book I liked may not be a good fit for you. And the truth of the matter is that when I wanted an idea and I couldn't find something I liked and I read books it didn't really help either. Very strongly feel that the plot or inspiration for a story has to come from Hashem. I have had many ideas where it just fizzled because I didn't really like it enough.

Do you want to write Jewish or secular?

At this point I don’t have the time to invest in writing a novel . I just wanted to write for fun, for myself . I spend so much time teaching writing and marking others writing. I just am itching to write some pieces on my own and feel like I need a teacher in the sense that I want someone to give me prompts and hold me accountable to produce quality work …

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:11 pm
Just Google writing prompts. There's tons out there

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:19 pm
This website seems like a great resource:
https://www.helpingwritersbeco.....rces/

I loved this article:
https://www.tiffanyhawk.com/bl.....ok-be
Her courses might be helpful too.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
At this point I don’t have the time to invest in writing a novel . I just wanted to write for fun, for myself . I spend so much time teaching writing and marking others writing. I just am itching to write some pieces on my own and feel like I need a teacher in the sense that I want someone to give me prompts and hold me accountable to produce quality work …

Maybe find a writing partner.

I have read some books where two authors wrote the book as if there were other characters writing each other letters. They'd stick a letter to the other character and their mail slot, when you got a letter you had to write back.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:02 pm
Look for the post from yesterday - search for Riva Pomerantz. She has a program called masterpiece. Might be what you are looking for? I don’t know anything about it except I was looking at it yesterday cuz she posted a link.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club