Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I am a teacher and not one student brought me a letter
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:35 pm
Or gift for chanuka.
So disappointing when I give them my all and not to be noticed or appreciated whatsoever.
Not asking for money. Asking for a letter

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:36 pm
It's not even Chanukah yet.

Give it time.

I'm planning on sending my gifts/ letters on Tuesday since that's the day my child has his therapist so I can send them all the same day

groovy1224

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:37 pm
Chanukah is 8 days...this is kind of a premature dramatic reaction.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Or gift for chanuka.
So disappointing when I give them my all and not to be noticed or appreciated whatsoever.

I’m also a teacher. I’m expecting nothing. But I wouldn’t expect anything today bec it’s not Chanukah yet. I didn’t send in anything yet either

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Or gift for chanuka.
Wait, is this a joke? It's not Chanukah yet!!!

Genius

I don’t understand. I don’t know anyone who gifted Chanukah gifts yet. Save your tears for next week in case they will be necessary then. Hopefully not

Last edited by Genius on Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

amother OP wrote:
Or gift for chanuka.

Um. It’s not Chanukah yet. Are you serious? And it does seem like you’re asking for something…

Genius

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:39 pm
Are you just kidding around op? You need to make it more obvious.

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:43 pm
I dunno
All these chanuka gifting and tipping threads are rubbing me the wrong way
I work in an office. No one ever tips me or writes notes to me. Im a hard worker who deals with people all day long
Bu it get paid by my boss for what I do
What is it with this attitude of 'I deserve notes and gifts and tips'
Mad

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:48 pm
I'm sending next week

peace2

amother Snowflake wrote:
I dunno
I work in an office. No one ever tips me or writes notes to me. Im a hard worker who deals with people all day long
Mad

I agree that the attitude is unfortunate and can seem entitled. But I think teachers more than anyone deserve tips and gifts - they get paid for only a fraction of work that they do. Besides for their time in the classroom, they prepare lessons, mark papers, speak to parents, attend meetings, etc etc etc. I'm honestly in awe of teachers who devote themselves to their students with no compensation. And it can be really emotionally draining as well. I would say teachers deserve all the presents and notes and bonuses in the world!

Cheiny

amother Snowflake wrote:
I dunno
Mad

I hope OP isn’t a teacher of any of my kids because with that attitude I don’t think I’d want to give her anything.

Genius

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I dunno
Mad

It seems like you think you also deserve, only nobody gives it… I’m sure you do. Buy yourself a donut.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:50 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I dunno
Mad

I agree. Every year these threads pop up and the teachers seems to think that everyone owes them money and gratitude and notes and presents and all that. It's honestly a horrible attitude and I hope you're not my child teacher....

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:53 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I hope OP isn’t a teacher of any of my kids because with that attitude I don’t think I’d want to give her anything.

I agree that it's a horrible attitude and huge lack of middos, but I would probably still give because I don't want my child to suffer. It's still early in the year and I want my child to be on their teacher's good side
Let's be honest that all of this gifting is more about bribing and (a lot) less about hakaras hatov

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:53 pm
Genius wrote:
It seems like you think you also deserve, only nobody gives it… I’m sure you do. Buy yourself a donut.

That's not fair. Do you work?
I work in a busy office and I can tell you how majority of us are NOT appreciated enough in comparison to teachers. There are no office worker appreciation days and no one thinks we deserve vacation as much as they think teachers do.
Of course we deserve something, every hard worker does. For some reason though teachers end up feeling more entitled to it. Dunno why.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:54 pm
I'm a morah
I don't have any expectations. Whatever people give I am going to be extremely grateful

OP- it's not even chanukah yet! I'm personally not giving morahs until next week
I'd maybe understand this OP if it was after chanuka

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:56 pm
I am not writing notes to my kid's teachers. I participated in the PTA group gift. My name is on the card.

I'm sorry, I say this every year. Chanukah does not = a time to give hakaras ha tov to people. It's gotten to the point where it's become a weird focus and takes away from what Chanukah is about. Somewhere along the line, it became such a THING that now we have people like OP who feel hurt for not getting something that was never meant to take place anyway.

Maybe it would be a really good idea to really make teacher appreciation day into a huge thing so we can stop this chanukah/purim game.

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:57 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Um. It’s not Chanukah yet. Are you serious? And it does seem like you’re asking for something…

I'm assuming OP's school is closed during the whole holiday so people brought gifts to her school today and she feels bad.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:59 pm
peace2 wrote:
I agree that the attitude is unfortunate and can seem entitled. But I think teachers more than anyone deserve tips and gifts - they get paid for only a fraction of work that they do. Besides for their time in the classroom, they prepare lessons, mark papers, speak to parents, attend meetings, etc etc etc. I'm honestly in awe of teachers who devote themselves to their students with no compensation. And it can be really emotionally draining as well. I would say teachers deserve all the presents and notes and bonuses in the world!

I agree, as do many other employees in various fields. But no one is entitled nor should they expect or demand, especially from some people who might not be able to afford it. I do agree that a nice note and even a small inexpensive token is always appreciated by most people, but even then, some people will balk. Not nice.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics