Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
So how is your 1st night of Chanukah going?
Previous  1  2

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:42 am
Lit candles, had some other single/divorced women round for a healthyish chanukah supper, talked, ate, played music, and make chanukah packages for the army.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:39 am
Was thinking -
How many families are not celebrating as whole families tonight.
Some - temporarily- because serving
Some - permanently - until Techiyas HaMeisim
Some - unknown - re hostages

Was also thinking how this is the first Shehechiyanu since this all began. And how much has changed since then. How many people have been lost since then. The idea of it being the first Chag since then is emotional for many people I’m sure.

But also- please please please HaShem make this be a chanuka of massive miracles!

And also gratitude to HaShem. Last Chanuka I was in the darkest place in my life. And HaShem in his great kindness took me out of it. Thank you HaShem.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:59 am
Regular night + menorah lighting. Of course the hostages were on my mind.

Is there really an inyan to be happy on chanukah? Never heard of it. As far as I know there is no special inyan of parties or celebration beyond the half hour after lightning.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:06 am
amother Pear wrote:
I always felt so connected to chanuka but I feel so disillusioned about being Jewish since October 7th, I couldn’t even look at the menorah without hurting. No davening or singing for me, I get nauseous at the thought of either of them.

Ive been feeling similarly since October 7, until someone posted today in a thrad I began, how Univ of Penn may lose 100 million because of their despicable president, and that to me was a ray of light in the darkness. Whoever posted the update literally "lit up my life".

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....38916

corolla

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 4:10 am
amother Clear wrote:
Regular night + menorah lighting. Of course the hostages were on my mind.

Is there really an inyan to be happy on chanukah? Never heard of it. As far as I know there is no special inyan of parties or celebration beyond the half hour after lightning.

We do say al hanissim and full hallel every single day, so there's that.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 4:13 am
Lit, had regular supper + latkes and donuts, then I collapsed from cooking for Shabbos all day as soon as baby went to bed.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:30 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/......html

This news is LIGHTING UP MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!

A comment on Yahoo:
"What all three Presidents failed to do was offer consequences for genocidal speech. The issue is not freedom of speech as that is protected from Governmental consequences to a degree, but speech is never protected from Social Consequences - one's speech and beliefs may keep people from doing business with them, calling for a boycott, is not governmental consequences but social consequences. The Presidents could have simply said, "We value freedom of speech and the academic exchange of ideas even if not popular, but we absolutely condemn speech that promotes violence and genocide - especially in light of our student population and it will never be tolerated and would lead to the immediate dismissal from the University!" End of story. They did not do that."
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics