Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Introducing pacifier to 1 year old

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 3:00 pm
Any tips??

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 3:01 pm
I doubt it’ll work

baked ziti

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 3:04 pm
Didn't work for my kids. They used them as teethers, chewed up the nipples, which posed as a choking hazard.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 4:27 pm
Why would you?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 4:32 pm
Why? Thats when I usually am trying to get them out of a pacifier habit.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 4:55 pm
All my kids were bottle obsessed, and I wished they would take a pacifier! They usually lost interest in a paci at about 10 months to a year, and then I spent the next 3 years trying to get rid of the bottle
Remember, each bottle needs to be filled with milk which is awful for them for so many reasons. Think of every time your kid needs a paci for comfort? My kids needed a full bottle of milk. I tried so hard to reintroduce the paci, but they just weren’t interested

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:36 pm
Because he has no comforter and can't link sleep cycles or self soothe so is up every 2 hours in the night to nurse. Looking for ways to help him sleep longer/ not rely on nursing

Orangehead

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 7:46 pm
Not a good idea. You usually get rid of the pacifier young otherwise, you are up the whole night finding the pacifier

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Because he has no comforter and can't link sleep cycles or self soothe so is up every 2 hours in the night to nurse. Looking for ways to help him sleep longer/ not rely on nursing

So you need to help teach him to self soothe. Not rely on a pacifier.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:03 pm
A blanket, lovey, or stuffed animal isore age appropriate.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:09 pm
I agree with amother Burgundy above.
Try a soft blankie, a stuffie (stuffed animal etc) instead and start encouraging self soothing to help your little one learn to fall asleep on their own.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:10 pm
Orangehead wrote:
Not a good idea. You usually get rid of the pacifier young otherwise, you are up the whole night finding the pacifier

I did not have this with any of my kids. They always manage to find their paci on their own.
One of my babies shrieked non stop. She refused a paci, no matter what I tried. At 15 months old I found her with her sisters paci in her mouth & she didn't let me take it out. The constant shrieking finally stopped & she became a happier child. She had a paci till 3 years old & it was a literal sanity saver for us.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:12 pm
Orangehead wrote:

We get rid of the pacifier (at around age 3) to prevent dental issues. I don’t mind waking up two or three times a night to replace a pacifier. Would much rather do that than nurse back to sleep!

No clue how to introduce one at that age though. Good luck OP! Hope you’re able to find something else if this isn’t possible.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
A blanket, lovey, or stuffed animal isore age appropriate.

I think that a paci is great & age appropriate till age 4. Sucking is more soothing than a blanket or stuffed animal. A paci together with a blanket or lovey, is so soothing.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:14 pm
None of my kids would take a pacifier their blankets help calm them down whenever my daughter sees her blanket now she hugs it I was never comfortable giving a regular blanket to my kids they all get a knit blanket

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 8:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any tips??

Worked for me. Def worth a try
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics