Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Remsen Village and Canarsie s/o
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 7:15 am
Those were the days! I’m the amother from the other thread who lived on 89th and Remsen. I figured I’ll make a spinoff.

I mostly remember the people who lived on our block and there were a lot. And the Feins especially since we’re still friends.

I added Canarsie because it was so close and we had friends from there.

We davened in Yodei Binah, which my understanding, chabad owns the building now.

Don’t know how old anyone is, but remember:
    Irvings pizza in Canarsie and they had separate prices for chalav yisroel and stam
    When Moishe’s used to have his small grocery store
    Kosher City
    The fire that killed a mother and two of her kids (I don’t remember it, but because of it, my parents discussed and figured out routes to leave the house, just in case. Well, we did have a fire and bh we were all saved)
    Walking to Canarsie for tashlich

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 7:31 am
My grandparents lived on 92 & the other grandparents in Canarsie. I spent many Shabbosim & all YTs there. Beautiful memories. I loved hanging out with my "Shabbos friends" we davened in Rabbi Zimmerman ztzsl Shul

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 8:38 am
I lived in Canarsie from ages 1-4 (late 70s early 80s) so I don’t remember it ☹️

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 9:03 am
Ha I live a few blocks from there now. I always hear about the good old days. We love Seaview park.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 9:45 am
Here for it. Let's reminisce.

Bnos Yisroel playground equipment, metal frames and wood planks to climb on over cement ground, those were the days, Mrs Pollack bottle of iodine.

The crossing guard, she was there for years, that same one.

A certain family birthday parties with those little sandwiches cut into triangles. I loved those.

Marmaduke who lived on 92nd.

The playground on 88th with that sunken sprinkler area that was fun in the fall to walk around.

The fact that if you say which block and the first letter of the family last name or one thing about them or that they had most people will know who you are referring to LOL

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:51 pm
Canarsie girl here. I remember the Feins. And lived only a few blocks from Irving's pizza. Though I don't know anything about separate pricing for cholov yisroel.
Tashlich was practically around the corner for us.
Bnos Yisroel-in 2 different buildings. The spanking machine on the roof! Our playground was the driveway between the 2 buildings.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:01 pm
canarsie girl here
I remember
Irvings pizza
kosher city
Dagans
Bnos Yisroel on Remson Ave

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:03 pm
Quote:
My grandparents lived on 92 & the other grandparents in Canarsie. I spent many Shabbosim & all YTs there. Beautiful memories. I loved hanging out with my "Shabbos friends" we davened in Rabbi Zimmerman ztzsl Shul

92nd and where? I lived near there wonder if I know you
my parents house is still there my mom was living there until about 1.5 years ago

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:31 pm
Across the street from the park. My grandparents passed away in the 80's idk what everyone did after that. We kept up with a few families over the years on & off. There were at least 4 frum families on the block thar I can recall.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Canarsie girl here. I remember the Feins. And lived only a few blocks from Irving's pizza. Though I don't know anything about separate pricing for cholov yisroel.
Tashlich was practically around the corner for us.
Bnos Yisroel-in 2 different buildings. The spanking machine on the roof! Our playground was the driveway between the 2 buildings.

For those of us not from the neighborhood, could someone please elaborate on the spanking machine on the roof lol?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 5:56 pm
It's so funny to read this. I'm part of the growing Chabad community in remsen village that started as an "overflow" of crown heights

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 11:00 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
For those of us not from the neighborhood, could someone please elaborate on the spanking machine on the roof lol?

In bnos yisroel elementary school, the english principal-Mrs. Pollack-would tell us that there was a spanking machine on the roof. For kids who misbehaved. I think she said she would put a quarter in the machine and it would spank the child who misbehaved. No one I know was ever bad enough to find out if this was true, but I'm pretty sure I believed her. Laugh Surprised

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:34 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Here for it. Let's reminisce.

Bnos Yisroel playground equipment, metal frames and wood planks to climb on over cement ground, those were the days, Mrs Pollack bottle of iodine.

The crossing guard, she was there for years, that same one.

A certain family birthday parties with those little sandwiches cut into triangles. I loved those.

Marmaduke who lived on 92nd.

The playground on 88th with that sunken sprinkler area that was fun in the fall to walk around.

The fact that if you say which block and the first letter of the family last name or one thing about them or that they had most people will know who you are referring to LOL

I asked my sister who Marmaduke was and she doesn’t remember. She said to ask our older sister, but didn’t yet. Who was Marmaduke?

That playground! I loved it and the see saws. So much fun!

My sister and I came up with a list of names that we remember. See if you can add some more and is your name there? Very Happy
    Cohen
    Levine
    Fink
    Shapiro
    Yablonsky
    Cutajar
    Rosenman
    Silberberg
    Lichtenstein
    Langsam
    Sorkon
    Lercher
    Groner
    Binik
    Levitz
    Hammer
    Dubin
    Adler
    Fein
    Katz
    Ackerman
    Neuhoff
    Marciano
    Mayerfeld
    Tober
    Obermeister
    Schwartz
    Mozes
    Kagan
    Satz
    Rubinoff
    Fulchur
    Labyrd
    Sashizki
    Retkinski
    Sokol

Most are ones who lived on our block. Some from Canarsie I remember because I knew them, Greenberg, Gindoff, Statfeld, and Huff. Still friends with some.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:48 am
How long did you live there? We lived there from I think when my parents got married in 1965 until we moved in 1984. We were one of the first ones to move on our block and our neighbors were very upset who we sold the house to, but that’s all who was buying. We moved because we were growing out of our house BH.

We lived on 89th and for about a year on 92nd when we had the fire.

Not that where we moved we were looked at strangely, but we had a dog and no one blinked and absolutely no issue (as far as I know).

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
How long did you live there? We lived there from I think when my parents got married in 1965 until we moved in 1984. We were one of the first ones to move on our block and our neighbors were very upset who we sold the house to, but that’s all who was buying. We moved because we were growing out of our house BH.

We lived on 89th and for about a year on 92nd when we had the fire.

Not that where we moved we were looked at strangely, but we had a dog and no one blinked and absolutely no issue (as far as I know).

I remember the fire. And the dog.
And my name is on your list. You are friends with my sister.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:35 pm
My grandparents name is on the list.

I don't see Pollak & Weiss.

I don't think I remember a fire...I remember the dog - Apricot!!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:08 am
amother OP wrote:
I asked my sister who Marmaduke was and she doesn’t remember. She said to ask our older sister, but didn’t yet. Who was Marmaduke?

That playground! I loved it and the see saws. So much fun!

My sister and I came up with a list of names that we remember. See if you can add some more and is your name there? Very Happy
    Cohen
    Levine
    Fink
    Shapiro
    Yablonsky
    Cutajar
    Rosenman
    Silberberg
    Lichtenstein
    Langsam
    Sorkon
    Lercher
    Groner
    Binik
    Levitz
    Hammer
    Dubin
    Adler
    Fein
    Katz
    Ackerman
    Neuhoff
    Marciano
    Mayerfeld
    Tober
    Obermeister
    Schwartz
    Mozes
    Kagan
    Satz
    Rubinoff
    Fulchur
    Labyrd
    Sashizki
    Retkinski
    Sokol

Most are ones who lived on our block. Some from Canarsie I remember because I knew them, Greenberg, Gindoff, Statfeld, and Huff. Still friends with some.

Gindoff
I was friendly with a few of you. I lived in Flatbush and my grandparents lived in Remsen Village. I became friendly with Canarsie girls when Bnos Yisroel closed down I think and the girls started coming to Flatbush schools.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 7:16 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
I remember the fire. And the dog.
And my name is on your list. You are friends with my sister.

You don’t know if it was my sister or me because when we were living there, we were 3 girls. Wink

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 7:19 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
My grandparents name is on the list.

I don't see Pollak & Weiss.

I don't think I remember a fire...I remember the dog - Apricot!!

Pollak lived in Flatbush. Forgot Weiss, right.

We had a fire in ‘76-‘77, not sure of the exact date. Apricot wasn’t our dog, but we weren’t the only ones with a dog.

Who went to Bnos and remembers Morah Avivia Langsam?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 7:21 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Gindoff
I was friendly with a few of you. I lived in Flatbush and my grandparents lived in Remsen Village. I became friendly with Canarsie girls when Bnos Yisroel closed down I think and the girls started coming to Flatbush schools.

Bnos didn’t close down, they moved.

I’m still friends with Gindoff.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics