Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Gyn for teen daughter

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:23 pm
So My daughter turned 17 two months ago. She was a late bloomer and only started maturing at around 14yrs so I figured I have time to start worrying about her not getting her period. When she was 16.5 she Bh got it for the first time and I thought all is well. She got it around spring time and didn't get again every since. (Mentioning spring because I know many teens dont get it during the summer so I tried not to worry!)

Its been more than 6 months now and I was getting really anxious. I took her to my pediatrician who did basic bloodwork and specifically checked for thyroid function. Bh it all came back fine. Now he is telling to follow up with a gynecologist.
First of all, I’m looking if anyone had a similar experience perhaps? Also if anyone can recommend a gyn that deals with adolescents in the Ny/Brooklyn area that she would
Feel comfortable with.
TIA

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:29 pm
When girls first get their period, whether at age 11 or 14, they also can go 6 months without it so why shouldn't it be with a 16 year old especially that you already did testing and everything is fine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:42 pm
oneofakind wrote:
When girls first get their period, whether at age 11 or 14, they also can go 6 months without it so why shouldn't it be with a 16 year old especially that you already did testing and everything is fine?

I would say by now its 9 months. We did the bloodwork twice to make sure its consistent so it was 6 months the first time. She’s 17 and 3 months. Im getting worried! I never had this issue with my other kids.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:49 pm
I had this exact issue. Got period once at 16 in the spring and then nothing. Went to ob/gyn the following year and had an imbalance of FSH and LH. Otherwise known as PCOS. Was put on birth control and all was well. Around 10-20 percent of frum women have this. It is not a big impediment to having children so don’t worry.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:54 pm
It's normal for periods to be sporadic for the first few years. The body is not a machine that once you flip the "first period" switch it will faithfully have a period every month

That said, I do understand your concerns. If you decide to go to a doctor just make sure to be very calm about it.

I also got my period late, and even once I got it they were few and far between. My mom went nuts, dragged me to a million doctors and tests, was constantly crying over her tehillim cuz she thought I would never get married and have kids. It was a rabbit hole- one test leads to the next and the next but ultimately everything was fine

Fast forward I had a baby 9.5 months after my wedding and by mid twenties my cycles were finally more regular and coming every 4-5 weeks

momallhours

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:58 pm
I know your in NY but I saw Dr Deborah Menashy just started a practice in lkwd spec for this area she is not a gyn though

Just copied this from LI
Attune Adolescent & Women’s HealthAttune Adolescent & Women’s Health
Oct 2023 - Present · 3 mosOct 2023 - Present · 3 mos
Lakewood, New Jersey, United StatesLakewood, New Jersey, United States
I am a dedicated healthcare professional with a passion for women’s health. With a wealth of experience and expertise as a PA for many years, I am committed to providing expert diagnosis and treatment plans that are tailored to each person’s unique needs. I saw a need for a medical practice where teens could receive expert care in a comfortable and non intimidating setting. Many teen issues are not addressed by the general pediatrician and most young women are uncomfortable seeing their mom’s Ob/Gyn whose main focus is on pregnancy. I also recognize the importance of addressing the health concerns that occur beyond the child bearing years, and providing the latest medical treatments that research offers especially for the perimenopause/menopause years. Women often neglect medical intervention and prevention in this age group and I would like to change that! So with the help of Dr Meir Olcha, MD FACOG, reproductive endocrinologist, Attune Adolescent & Women’s Health was created. I am committed to providing a compassionate and welcoming space for girls and women to receive the care they need.

Last edited by momallhours on Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 2:58 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I had this exact issue. Got period once at 16 in the spring and then nothing. Went to ob/gyn the following year and had an imbalance of FSH and LH. Otherwise known as PCOS. Was put on birth control and all was well. Around 10-20 percent of frum women have this. It is not a big impediment to having children so don’t worry.

They put you on bc while you were a teen? I wonder if the pediatrician checked the fsh/lh levels because when I asked him what to do next he said nothing and that You dont want her to go On Bc pills now. But when I pressed him that she is 17 and 3 months and I just want to know if there is a bigger issue he said, then go to a gyn.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:05 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
It's normal for periods to be sporadic for the first few years. The body is not a machine that once you flip the "first period" switch it will faithfully have a period every month

That said, I do understand your concerns. If you decide to go to a doctor just make sure to be very calm about it.

I also got my period late, and even once I got it they were few and far between. My mom went nuts, dragged me to a million doctors and tests, was constantly crying over her tehillim cuz she thought I would never get married and have kids. It was a rabbit hole- one test leads to the next and the next but ultimately everything was fine

Fast forward I had a baby 9.5 months after my wedding and by mid twenties my cycles were finally more regular and coming every 4-5 weeks

Thank you. That made me chuckle about your moms response. As much as I am concerned I do not show it to her. She actually saw me speaking to the doctor earlier and asked what he said. I told her that all the numbers came back fine and he said to follow up with a different doctor. No outward hysterics or anything like that here.
Im glad to hear that things worked out fine for you and it definitely makes me feel calmer. What kind of tests did all these million doctors do?
I wouldn't mind going to a gyn though just to hear what they say. Now my question is if there is someone that specifically deals with this. Just because I figure if they do, they would know how to make the child feel comfortable with whatever tests need to be done.
I Appreciate all responses so much. She’s my oldest and her younger siblings all got it earlier and are mostly regular so no experience here.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:28 pm
I'd call A Time for a recommendation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:32 pm
momallhours wrote:
I know your in NY but I saw Dr Deborah Menashy just started a practice in lkwd spec for this area she is not a gyn though

Just copied this from LI
Attune Adolescent & Women’s HealthAttune Adolescent & Women’s Health
Oct 2023 - Present · 3 mosOct 2023 - Present · 3 mos
Lakewood, New Jersey, United StatesLakewood, New Jersey, United States
I am a dedicated healthcare professional with a passion for women’s health. With a wealth of experience and expertise as a PA for many years, I am committed to providing expert diagnosis and treatment plans that are tailored to each person’s unique needs. I saw a need for a medical practice where teens could receive expert care in a comfortable and non intimidating setting. Many teen issues are not addressed by the general pediatrician and most young women are uncomfortable seeing their mom’s Ob/Gyn whose main focus is on pregnancy. I also recognize the importance of addressing the health concerns that occur beyond the child bearing years, and providing the latest medical treatments that research offers especially for the perimenopause/menopause years. Women often neglect medical intervention and prevention in this age group and I would like to change that! So with the help of Dr Meir Olcha, MD FACOG, reproductive endocrinologist, Attune Adolescent & Women’s Health was created. I am committed to providing a compassionate and welcoming space for girls and women to receive the care they need.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Would’ve been lovely to have this here in NY as Lakewood is a bit far at this point.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:39 pm
PA Menashy does telehealth. She can order more blood work if necessary and seems like she specializes in this.

traveller!

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:26 pm
I had this although at an earlier age it was pcos. Was out on birth control and never had any issues with it.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:46 pm
Please see a real gyn..not anyone who won't do an exam. I would suggest the midwives at boro park obgyn....they are perfect for this issue. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 6:02 pm
Thank you to all who responded.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 7:59 pm
I had similar situation as a teenager but my mother took me to a reproductive endocrinologist who did a comprehensive workup before prescribing birth control to regulate my period. Definitely recommend over obgyn as they are way more knowledgeable about what blood work to order.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. That made me chuckle about your moms response. As much as I am concerned I do not show it to her. She actually saw me speaking to the doctor earlier and asked what he said. I told her that all the numbers came back fine and he said to follow up with a different doctor. No outward hysterics or anything like that here.
Im glad to hear that things worked out fine for you and it definitely makes me feel calmer. What kind of tests did all these million doctors do?
I wouldn't mind going to a gyn though just to hear what they say. Now my question is if there is someone that specifically deals with this. Just because I figure if they do, they would know how to make the child feel comfortable with whatever tests need to be done.
I Appreciate all responses so much. She’s my oldest and her younger siblings all got it earlier and are mostly regular so no experience here.

Honestly it wasn't funny. It was very scary as a teen to see my mom like that and go through all that

As far as the testing.. like I said, it's a rabbit hole. So first they take tons and tons of blood. And one number is a bit off, because our bodies are not machines and things fluctuate. So let's do more blood work to see if it goes back to normal..so now that number is normal but a diff number is a bit off...oh it might be connected to the brain, let's do a brain MRI...brain MRI is fine...let's repeat the bloodwork to see if that number went back...now everything is fine in the blood..let"s do a pelvic ultrasound just in case.. and on and on

My mom took me every three months for appointments with the endocrinologist. And after a year or a year and half of this when that dr didn't have the "magic cure" to make my periods come more often...let's go for a second opinion ..and of course every three months needs tons of more blood work "just to update"

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:59 am
Just to comment on PCOS-

I don't have insta anymore, but when I did I remember seeing a post from Dr. Sahar Wertheiner (frum female reproductive endo) discussing this. And Dr. Batsheva Maslow agreed with her in the comments.

Basically, IIRC they were discussing how you cannot really diagnose PCOS until a few YEARS after the first period because it is SO normal to be irregular for the first few years. It takes time for the body to regulate itself, even into the early twenties.

She wrote how it's so common for anxious moms to come in for appointments with their daughters, desperate for a diagnosis because it makes you feel in control. But really you just need to be calm and patient!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:01 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
I had similar situation as a teenager but my mother took me to a reproductive endocrinologist who did a comprehensive workup before prescribing birth control to regulate my period. Definitely recommend over obgyn as they are way more knowledgeable about what blood work to order.

I don't understand why a teen would be put on birth control to regulate cycles, unless she is having certain symptoms that can be managed with BC.
There is nothing dangerous about irregular cycles and BC can have a lot of side effects in teens
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries