Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 year old with a perpetually running nose

HotTeaandLemon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:13 pm
Hi there, I'm at my wits end.
My 1 you has a perpetually running nose. I am looking into doing tubes for him bec he is also having ear issues.
Can anyone suggest what I can do for him naturally, supplements etc.
If I should allergy test, where to go?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:14 pm
Try taking him completely off dairy.

HotTeaandLemon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:15 pm
His formula is milk based so I don't its possible right now

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:31 pm
HotTeaandLemon wrote:

It's pretty likely that the runny nose is because he is allergic to the formula. Can you ask your doctor about switching to a different formula?

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:33 pm
HotTeaandLemon wrote:

It's a big factor, and mouth breathing affects a lot of things , like his future mouth muscle tone. My eldest had this problem, and he still drools sometimes at the age of 7 because he's used to it.

See if you can manage to move him off of dairy, or to a higher quality formula. Materna Extra care, or Materna Gold, are both better options in Israel.

As a short term measure: smelling eucalyptus oil can clear out a lot of mucus.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:34 pm
HotTeaandLemon wrote:

Dairy is a big cause of constant runny nose. It's a pity to do anything medical when there's an easy solution.
At 1, he should be ready to stop the formula. If that's not a possibility, maybe switch to non dairy formula.

HotTeaandLemon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:56 pm
amother Dill wrote:
It's pretty likely that the runny nose is because he is allergic to the formula. Can you ask your doctor about switching to a different formula?

He has been on this formula since he's 3 months old... at first together with breastmilk and since 6 months old it has been only formula. Why all of a sudden does he have the runny nose with it?

HotTeaandLemon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 10:57 pm
Rappel wrote:
It's a big factor, and mouth breathing affects a lot of things , like his future mouth muscle tone. My eldest had this problem, and he still drools sometimes at the age of 7 because he's used to it.

See if you can manage to move him off of dairy, or to a higher quality formula. Materna Extra care, or Materna Gold, are both better options in Israel.

As a short term measure: smelling eucalyptus oil can clear out a lot of mucus.

He is on Materna Extra Care, but it is milk based. I own Olbas oil, how would I use it in a way that would help him?

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:02 pm
HotTeaandLemon wrote:
He is on Materna Extra Care, but it is milk based. I own Olbas oil, how would I use it in a way that would help him?

So if he's running on that, then he's probably milk sensitive, and none of the ordinary formulas will help

There's the vegetarian Materna - some kids go for it, others don't.

Eucalyptus oil - put a few drops on something he can smell. His onesie, a blankie. Don't douse his crib in it - that can be overwhelming. But a little bit, for an ongoing effect

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:07 pm
My DS had a constant runny nose when he was younger. I took him to an allergist and he only tested positive for environmental allergies (the same allergies my DH has). I also took him to an ENT for it and they said it was allergy based and told us to ake Flonase. It was a very big struggle to get him to take the Flonase daily. He is now 9 and he only has a runny nose sometimes so it did get somewhat better. My SIL insists that her kids tiñy nose only cleared up when she took out their tonsils and adnoids.

HotTeaandLemon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:17 pm
Rappel wrote:
So if he's running on that, then he's probably milk sensitive, and none of the ordinary formulas will help

There's the vegetarian Materna - some kids go for it, others don't.

Eucalyptus oil - put a few drops on something he can smell. His onesie, a blankie. Don't douse his crib in it - that can be overwhelming. But a little bit, for an ongoing effect

ok that's what I did. Started tonight.. I'm hopeful. Someone told me to put a peeled onion cut in half in his room at night..?

How could the formula all of a sudden be causing his nose to run if it hasn't done that for months till now?? He doesn't eat much milk or yogurt so aside from the formula it shouldn't be so hard to make him dairy free.. is it worth trying if he's getting it in his formula anyway?

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:43 pm
HotTeaandLemon wrote:
ok that's what I did. Started tonight.. I'm hopeful. Someone told me to put a peeled onion cut in half in his room at night..?

How could the formula all of a sudden be causing his nose to run if it hasn't done that for months till now?? He doesn't eat much milk or yogurt so aside from the formula it shouldn't be so hard to make him dairy free.. is it worth trying if he's getting it in his formula anyway?

An old farmer once told me that rubbing a slice of onion on her nostrils every morning kept her healthy every day.

There may be something to that

Btw: All this is assuming that your house is clean, not dusty, not moldy, and not full of pet hair or any other influences. That your toddler is dressed warmly and is wearing socks and winter pants when he's on a tiled floor. That there's no construction dust or smoke billowing into your house.

In short, that the other obvious culprits have been eliminated.

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 2:53 am
He shouldn’t be having formula anymore. That’s for babies under age 1.

amother
Whitewash

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 4:11 am
My toddlers get a runny nose from sukkos until may. It's gross and annoying, but seems like they get a perpetual cold.

bnm

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 6:16 am
Many reasons it can be happening. Start with a visit to the ent. Make sure there are no structural issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics