Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I’m so proud BH I cried

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:21 pm
My 12 year old son told me that his whole class got a treat except one boy, so he gave away his to the boy. (Not a behavior thing, more like a contest) I’m so proud of his heart. It’s making me very emotional.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:26 pm
I’m so proud of your son too. Shows what an amazing mother he has. And boy am I not proud of this teacher! Shows what a heart he has! To give everyone a treat besides for one? Horrible! I don’t care what contest that was!

iyar

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:26 pm
We need more people like your son in the world. I hope you remember to come back to imamother in twenty years and tell us what an exceptional person he became.

becky2345

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:27 pm
Yay!!! So beautiful!! You continue having nachas!

mfb

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:28 pm
That is beautiful!!!
Amazing middos!!

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:39 pm
You should be proud of him! And I hope the rebbi is aware what your son did, and what the rebbi should not have done!

Peonie

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:42 pm
You can be proud of the wonderful young man you're raising! Generous, compassionate and able to stand up for others, he's exactly what this world needs more of.

Also, major lapse in that teacher's judgment, it's so hurtful to leave a single child out, even more so when it involves a treat. I'm so grateful your son's selflessness managed to turn what must have been a painful and embarrassing situation for the other boy into a display of friendship. Well done, both mother and son!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:45 pm
Thank you everyone. Yes I still need to find out why the kid was singled out but it doesn’t seem nice.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:49 pm
So nice.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 12 year old son told me that his whole class got a treat except one boy, so he gave away his to the boy. (Not a behavior thing, more like a contest) I’m so proud of his heart. It’s making me very emotional.

That is truly beautiful. Good job raising a great kid!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:34 pm
Wow!! Your son is a gem.

I'll never forget being that kid in 4th grade. We had a davening chart, and I had a super mean substitute that wrote a note to the teacher that everyone can get a point on their chart besides for me. She left it on the desk by mistake and the entire class saw it. I'll never forget it, and I still get so sad for that little girl in me every time I remember the incident. Some teachers are just not meant to teach.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 2:00 am
Wow!!! Can you share tips on how to raise kids to be like that?!

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 2:02 am
I hate the system of rewarding kids who do well scholastically. It's so not fair! Punch
I never won any contests even when I put in 10000% effort. While other kids needed 0% effort to win.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 4:37 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
I hate the system of rewarding kids who do well scholastically. It's so not fair! Punch
I never won any contests even when I put in 10000% effort. While other kids needed 0% effort to win.

Yup, agree, and I won all of them, I didn't have the best grades (why would I waste time studying) but I work fast and can think quickly so I'd win nearly every contest. I didn't need all the plus 5s and 10s but they did help counterbalance the -5s and -10s that I was lucky to earn from those same teachers for the dumbest reasons.
As a teacher I NEVER once had any contests. Yes to games and activities but who needs contests? Learning can be a lot of fun without being competitive.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 5:22 pm
op you should be gebenched and more like you and your child should be among us
and may all teachers who don't belong in classrooms GET OUT
I too am crying for the little girl upthread
why oh why do we entrust our precious children with unqualified peoples?!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:38 pm
I really appreciate every message because this child is from my more difficult ones. I’m reading your messages and I’m filled with positivity toward him.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:56 pm
Just to give you an example of why something like this can happen -
We have small classes in our school, around 8 students,
a teacher made an extra curricular reading contest,
students read out of school if they wanted to,
any student who read x number of pages was rewarded
7 out of 8 students did it, so everyone except 1 student was rewarded.
This was an optional extra curricular activity with some motivation, why would this be wrong?
and what should teacher have done with the last boy who didn't do it?
reward him so no one should read the next time?

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:

This is assuming that this post is about a situation like this. Please make a separate post about your vent
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics