Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
9 month old- can we he do one long midday nap?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:31 am
Anyone do this successfully and not have an overtired baby?
my nine month old will take long naps and this schedule will work so much better for my family so I can focus on the rest of my kids in the evening. Im wonderfing if I can consolidate already to do one long midday nap and an early bedtime?
Like:
Wakeup at 8am
Nap 11am-2pm
bedtime: 6:30pm

teachkids

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:35 am
Try it. Worst case you'll go back to 2 naps.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:35 am
I work in a gan with babies who are that age.
We dont have any babies that age that take one nap. A few months older and they do from 11 - 1 or 2.
I think its asking a bit too much oc a 9 month old.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:36 am
Definitely too young for one nap

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone do this successfully and not have an overtired baby?
my nine month old will take long naps and this schedule will work so much better for my family so I can focus on the rest of my kids in the evening. Im wonderfing if I can consolidate already to do one long midday nap and an early bedtime?
Like:
Wakeup at 8am
Nap 11am-2pm
bedtime: 6:30pm

I like waiting to 14/15 months. That way he can do lunch around 11:30. Nap 12-2. It’s more of a regular schedule for a baby /toddler then and easier with meal timings. Cuz now he’ll have lunch at 2? And dinner at 4/5?

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:41 am
It's a couple of months too young but you can try to cut the later nap to only 40 minutes and then bedtime at approx 7 depending on what time the nap was.
For some of my kids it worked

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:42 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Definitely too young for one nap

All my kids except my first had that schedule from around 4-5 months. They went to it on their own, I didn’t train them to take one nap. They each dropped their second nap super early.
And they kept that schedule until they were almost 3!!

bsy

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 8:25 am
It's generally too young. Not before 13 to 18 months

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 8:33 am
bsy wrote:
It's generally too young. Not before 13 to 18 months

A lot of times in daycares once’s the baby is one and is in an older baby room they switch to one nap so they don’t have a choice (of course on weekends can do two) but many babies adjust fine at 12-14 months. But if there’s no reason to (not in daycare etc) then I don’t see why need to have the child drop a nap this early.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 8:39 am
I think too young for one nap also it's overly optimistic to think your baby will sleep from 6:30pm - 8am

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 8:55 am
amother Violet wrote:
I like waiting to 14/15 months. That way he can do lunch around 11:30. Nap 12-2. It’s more of a regular schedule for a baby /toddler then and easier with meal timings. Cuz now he’ll have lunch at 2? And dinner at 4/5?

My 15 months old wakes at 6 (sometimes b4) and naps 12-2. He goes to sleep at 7.

I wish he would wake up later.

I’m the OP that posted this morning about my baby waking up before 6.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:01 am
amother Ebony wrote:
My 15 months old wakes at 6 (sometimes b4) and naps 12-2. He goes to sleep at 7.

I wish he would wake up later.

I’m the OP that posted this morning about my baby waking up before 6.

7pm to 6 am is so amazing. I’m jealous lol. My two year old goes to sleep at like 9 and still wakes up during the night, count your blessings lol. I mean you can try to do a 7:30 bedtime and maybe he’ll wake up at 630? You can also try cutting the nap by a half hour and see if that makes a difference. It doesn’t hurt to trouble shoot. But 7pm ton6am is literally amazing

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:05 am
At 9 months, my oldest still needed 3 naps!

My current baby is 9 months, I don't think she would be able to manage with 1 nap, she takes 2 naps every day.

At this age, they need like 4 hours of daytime sleep, and they are unlikely to sleep that long in one go, so I'm not sure that one nap would allow for enough sleep.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:12 am
amother Violet wrote:
7pm to 6 am is so amazing. I’m jealous lol. My two year old goes to sleep at like 9 and still wakes up during the night, count your blessings lol. I mean you can try to do a 7:30 bedtime and maybe he’ll wake up at 630? You can also try cutting the nap by a half hour and see if that makes a difference. It doesn’t hurt to trouble shoot. But 7pm ton6am is literally amazing

Putting him to sleep later doesn’t help.

bsy

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:12 am
amother Violet wrote:
A lot of times in daycares once’s the baby is one and is in an older baby room they switch to one nap so they don’t have a choice (of course on weekends can do two) but many babies adjust fine at 12-14 months. But if there’s no reason to (not in daycare etc) then I don’t see why need to have the child drop a nap this early.

12 to 14 is closer to 13 than 9....

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:16 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Putting him to sleep later doesn’t help.

How about having nap be only 1.5 instead of 2 hours? Again, 11 hours straight is so amazing. I’m sorry that it’s rough though. I really would try for yourself to get to bed as early as you can if possible.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:53 am
amother Violet wrote:
How about having nap be only 1.5 instead of 2 hours? Again, 11 hours straight is so amazing. I’m sorry that it’s rough though. I really would try for yourself to get to bed as early as you can if possible.

I’ll try that. I really need the 2 hours to get things done if I’m up early with him and busy taking care of him.

I can’t go to sleep early. I have teenagers who are up till 10’ish.
Today I put him down at 11. Maybe that’ll help? He was so tired from being up at 5:30.

Thanks for making me appreciate that he sleeps through. I used to think it’s a given because my timers kids slept 12 hours from when they went to sleep.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
I’ll try that. I really need the 2 hours to get things done if I’m up early with him and busy taking care of him.

I can’t go to sleep early. I have teenagers who are up till 10’ish.
Today I put him down at 11. Maybe that’ll help? He was so tired from being up at 5:30.

Thanks for making me appreciate that he sleeps through. I used to think it’s a given because my timers kids slept 12 hours from when they went to sleep.

Right but if you shorten the nap then you may get your mornings back somewhat. Something is going to have to give- either shorter nap which may lead to later wake up. Or longer nap but then early wake up… can’t really have both (unless someone has a perfect sleeper than wow good for them lol). And no no it’s Not a given to sleep 12 hours straight… babies and toddlers are always going through sleep changes and need us at night still!

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Right but if you shorten the nap then you may get your mornings back somewhat. Something is going to have to give- either shorter nap which may lead to later wake up. Or longer nap but then early wake up… can’t really have both (unless someone has a perfect sleeper than wow good for them lol). And no no it’s Not a given to sleep 12 hours straight… babies and toddlers are always going through sleep changes and need us at night still!

I’m the OP of the ongoing thread “baby wakes before 6”
Join me there. I don’t want to derail this thread.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 2:14 pm
It probably depends on the kid. See how he does. I personally have found that trying to put a schedule on my babies backfires, works much better to observe and follow their natural rhythms as much as possible. I had one kid taking one 5 hr nap at around 3 months. Because when he was due for his morning and afternoon naps I was driving carpool, and had to be woken, so he naturally consolidated it on his own. He did fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics